U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:03 PM

538 posts, read 2,224,624 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a position in Binghamton, NY. I will have to commute there 2 days a week, so I can look up to 2 hours away. I've looked around Binghamton itself and I'm not interested in living there. I'm also not interested in living in the city proper, we are looking for a more rural area with easy access to either city. I like the greater Scranton area and the Syracuse area a lot. The way I see it:

1) PA has lower taxes, less snow, and more slightly sunny days. Its also closer to NJ, where we have family. However, we are looking in Southern Wayne County (Lake Ariel, Lake Wallenpaupack, and other areas north/west of Scranton). I like the area, but I hear the crime here from ex-NY'ers is really bad. Many people tell me NOT to look in the Poconos.

2) Syracuse, especially Cicero, is really attracting me. I love the lakes, plus it had a sort of "end of the earth" appeal which I can't quite describe but was very appealing. Homes are super cheap. The taxes, the heavy snow (I like SOME snow) and the distance from NJ are all negatives for us.

Can anyone help us? Where are the best places to live? We really like a place called "The Hideout" in Lake Ariel. Any other places? Any help would be very appreciated, as I need to make a quick decision. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Hey there Mr. Phish Head! (I just love the screenname!) Well, when people are telling you to "steer clear of the Poconos", they aren't referencing Wayne County or the general Lake Ariel/Gouldsboro area; they're talking about the eastern half of Monroe County, which has seen a surge in traffic congestion, sprawl, crime, school overcrowding, etc. in recent years with the influx of NYC/NJ transplants who still commute back to the city for work. "The Hideout", from what I know, is a tranquil community, and there certainly aren't any sorts of big-city crime problems there (Perhaps minor offenses such as DUIs, domestic abuse, bored teenagers smashing a mailbox or two, etc., do crop up, as in any area, but Lake Ariel, overall, is peaceful).

To get to Binghamton, the quickest route for you would probably be Route 296 North from Lake Ariel to Waymart, where you'd want to pick up Route 6 West to Carbondale, where you'd want to pick up Route 106 North to I-81 North at the Clifford exit, and then stay on I-81 North about a half-hour to Binghamton. I know Route 106 was closed for a while after the June flooding, so I'm not sure if it's open as of yet or if the detour (which is a bit lengthy) is still in place. Overall, the trip should take you between an hour and 90-minutes, which is well within your two-hour window.

The downside to Lake Ariel is that it's a bit of a drive to "big-box" shopping areas and major chain restaurant areas, as Scranton's Viewmont Mall and the surrounding Dickson City shopping district are a decent drive away. Nevertheless, just be efficient and make lists for everything you need from all of the stores ahead of time so that you don't have to make frequent trips to that area. Also, Honesdale, the Wayne County seat, is located about a ten-minute drive north of Lake Ariel, and the town has a vintage Main Street lined with all sorts of specialty shops and restaurants to enjoy (Check out my photo tour of Honesdale if you'd like).

Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,044,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I have been offered a position in Binghamton, NY. I will have to commute there 2 days a week, so I can look up to 2 hours away. I've looked around Binghamton itself and I'm not interested in living there. I'm also not interested in living in the city proper, we are looking for a more rural area with easy access to either city. I like the greater Scranton area and the Syracuse area a lot. The way I see it:

1) PA has lower taxes, less snow, and more slightly sunny days. Its also closer to NJ, where we have family. However, we are looking in Southern Wayne County (Lake Ariel, Lake Wallenpaupack, and other areas north/west of Scranton). I like the area, but I hear the crime here from ex-NY'ers is really bad. Many people tell me NOT to look in the Poconos.

2) Syracuse, especially Cicero, is really attracting me. I love the lakes, plus it had a sort of "end of the earth" appeal which I can't quite describe but was very appealing. Homes are super cheap. The taxes, the heavy snow (I like SOME snow) and the distance from NJ are all negatives for us.

Can anyone help us? Where are the best places to live? We really like a place called "The Hideout" in Lake Ariel. Any other places? Any help would be very appreciated, as I need to make a quick decision. Thanks!
The Hideout might look good, but it is a crime haven. Numerous drug and gang problems there. I would say that if you will be working in Binghamton, but want to stay in PA, you should look into Susquehanna County, which boders the Binghamton area. Its mainly rural, but inexpensive, and a short ride on I-81 into Binghamton. There are some quaint little towns there if you prefer living in a town.....Montrose and Susquehanna are the two largest, and within a 30 min drive to Binghamton.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Montro...nsylvania.html

http://www.susqco.com/

Old 12-27-2006, 10:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,625,270 times
I have heard nice things about Cicero. Syracuse is a fun city! Your taxes there will of course be higher - they are roughly 3.2% AV, figure the home being around 150-200K, you should be able to get a pretty nice house for that $$. As far as attractions, Syracuse is very nice.

Have you looked at Cortland? Or outskirts of Ithaca? Also might fit your bill.

Crime from ExNyers? You know, my family lives in Delaware county and if you settle down and take a hard look, much of the crime is committed by locals...using NYers as scapegoats. You being a NJ person can result in a little snottiness from the PA locals in some small towns (who also blame crime on NYers)- believe me I am quite familiar with the Lake Ariel/cuomo and Delaware county areas. That line is getting old, real quick. Country folk were breaking into houses and teens getting drunk way before the exodus from NYC.

I would stick to NY - the drive from Syracuse to Bing should be about 1:30 depending on where you settle (and I drive somewhat slow). Especially since you will be doing this only 2x every week.

I am a native Nyer BTW and have traveled your relocation area quite often.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,501,665 times
Fellow Phish Head: I have lived in both areas and they both have their good points ....and their bad points (of-course). Syracuse has some beautiful outlying towns: Cicero, Manlius, Skaneatlis, etc. It also has the University which is a cultural center. But its way colder and gets a ton more snow than Scranton. Your 1.30 commute is going to double when its snowing. Scranton is closer to, and probably more similar to Binghamton. It has sufferred somewhat from its coal mining history, and so expect lower real estate costs and fewer things to do around town. BUT the countryside around Scranton is beautiful. I would look at towns like Nicholson and Tunkhannock to the west , or the Elk Mountain area to the east of Scranton. But I would also look at a couple other spots, like Port Jervis or Milford near the New York/New Jersey line, also Ithaca N.Y. , Watkins Glen, or Hammondsport N.Y.. It depends on what you like to do with your free time! Do you like to ski? Fish ? Boat? Are you into the arts? Are the quality of the public schools important ? The answers will help you to focus your search.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:25 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to get decent cell phone coverage and high speed cable internet in Lake Ariel? They are both required by the job I am considering, as I'll be working from home 3 days a week. I went up there over Christmas weekend, and Verizon was roaming the whole time and there was little, if any, coverage.

Nice area, quite rural. I also have been hearing that the Hideout is a crime haven. Basically, I was told that there is no local police, all enforcement is through the security guards and state troopers. Worries me a bit. We're looking at some other areas.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:10 AM

28 posts, read 96,510 times
Phish Head, congrats on your new gig, but you have my condolances that it's in Binghamton (an abyss).

The Syracuse area is nice, but so is the Scranton Area.

If you must live in NY, go to Ithaca. It's small but rooted in both tradition and progressive thinking (thanks to Ithaca College and Cornell being in-town). It's close to both Binghamton and Syracuse, but in all honesty - there's nothing to do or see or visit or to enjoy in Binghamton. You're better off towards Ithaca (city shopping, a stone's throw from Syracuse, and not too far for a weekend jaunt down to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre).

PA - lower taxes. Big bonus. NY taxes and Broome County's insanely high (higher than the state and national averages) gas and cable rates won't plague you. Namely, the gas though, which, living in PA, will be cheaper and make your commutes easier.

It's all up to you, and good luck. You already have two positives working in your favor: a new job and the fact you won't live in Binghamton/Broome County.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 AM

1,330 posts, read 4,625,270 times
If there is high speed there it would likely be through Blue Ridge Communications (do a websearch for their homepage).

Cell service is spotty to nonexistant. Along rte 6 you might get some but as you go up towards the NY line I don't think you get much of a signal.

My house in NEPA for example, I walk 15 feet down the road and I get 3 bars digital (Cingulair) and go back to my house and nothing..So I guess you would have to find a house you like and see if there is cell service or find a town that has more even coverage alltogether.

I seriously second Ithaca, or even try Cortland. Sometimes you have to pay a bit more to get more..they do a fine job of keeping 81 as passable as possible in the winter but it can get ugly driving sometimes..

Old 12-30-2006, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times
I lived near the Lake Ariel area for almost 20 years, and I do not think that area is a good idea. There is a lot of crime, heavy drugs , theft, and burglaries. The only police that you will have is state or security guards. I know quite a few people that live there that have been burglarized and nothing has been done for them (even when they could prove who did it!) (they WERE locals!) I have seen it go downhill for a number of years. If I were you, I would check out Honesdale, Tunkhannock, Nicholson, Forrest City. stay away from Carbondale, Scranton. good luck!

Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM

My new position requires cell service, so Lake Ariel is out. I went back there and there is NO cell services, and I was carrying both a Cingular and Verizon phone, both were roaming or no service. Services doesn't begin until you hit the Scranton line going west, or the NJ line going east. Also, does not appear to be any cable internet service here, only dial-up.

I'm looking back into NY State, with the dreaded taxes and all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area