Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2024, 08:06 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting segment/article I came across about the dating scene in the area: https://nccnews.newhouse.syr.edu/is-...ty-for-dating/

Personally, what may play a part in this is that the area needs to do a better job retaining the college population after graduation, the reliance on being car dependent even in walkable areas, many have their long time friends from way back and can be tough to breakthrough(but if so, you can have friendship for a lifetime), the NIMBY cultural that can trip up ideas that can attract people/activity, having to be open to casting a wider net(I.e.-single women perhaps considering men in different occupations or considering the some men at say Fort Drum where there is a higher ratio of men(personally know 2 guys stationed there from Memphis & Lake City SC that married local women) and the area needs to do a better job of marketing events/venues from a more diverse range of scenes that could help increase interaction, among a few other things(one I’ve heard/seen is those that are single w/kids is a “no” for some and another is political leaning according to another forum).

With that said, this will come down to what you are looking for/interested in/open to and if you do your due diligence.

I will say that if you are an “educated” guy, you are at an advantage, as there are more single women that are at that “level”.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-13-2024 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 09:52 AM

Here is another article on the topic: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2024/0...outputType=amp

I will also say to check out the events thread for ideas, as there is a decent range of things in the thread and can offer other options outside of the bar scene.

To also add, I also work with a couple of guys that are originally from Elmira and Chenango County that are married to local women. So, it isn’t all bad.

Also just for reference, the military men in the first part are black male Southerners and these guys are white males(all married to people of the same background). I mention this, because I’ve also seen/heard that this can be more of an issue for certain groups in the area, in a general sense.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-13-2024 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-13-2024, 03:07 PM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
Syracuse is the best city for dating.

1. The people in CNY are the best people on the planet because they have roots here and are not transient idiots.

2. The colder weather weeds out bad character types.

3. The smaller city, combined with the farming communities makes for a good mix.

4. Syracuse University has a positive influence, since most of the students and graduates are smart.

5. Larger cities like NY, Boston, LA, Chicago, are not the types of cities where you want to date. The people in these places are influenced too much by an "stupid media". That is generally not the case in Syracuse, especially in Madison County.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:07 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY4Life View Post
Syracuse is the best city for dating.

1. The people in CNY are the best people on the planet because they have roots here and are not transient idiots.

2. The colder weather weeds out bad character types.

3. The smaller city, combined with the farming communities makes for a good mix.

4. Syracuse University has a positive influence, since most of the students and graduates are smart.

5. Larger cities like NY, Boston, LA, Chicago, are not the types of cities where you want to date. The people in these places are influenced too much by an "stupid media". That is generally not the case in Syracuse, especially in Madison County.
1.How would dating in a city where people have deeper roots and where there are fewer transplants be better? If you have deeper roots somewhere, chances are they already have their social groups and networks nearby and so have no need to go out and meet others. Chances are they married young because they met people through their tight inner social circles, or if they didn't, they still don't need to "put themselves out there." This is particularly true for women. If you are guy, it would be almost impossible to date/get a girlfriend somewhere where nearly everyone already has local tight knit social networks of friends and family nearby. This is very different for cities that have a lot of transplants where you have tons of people who moved there recently and are looking to meet people and therefore attend social activities and events.

2. Cold weather severely limits what you can actually do on a date. Sure, "netflix and chilling" by a crackling fire is fine for when you are already in a relationship or at least have been dating for awhile, but for the first few times when a woman is first getting to know you, she's going to want to be in a public place, and braving snow storms are not most women's' idea of a good time. Even for most women who actually grew up in that climate. I know relatively few women who grew up with cold and snow that actually like the cold and snow.

4. I agree that universities are a positive influence, but you kind of are too old for that scene past the age of 25, and DEFINITELY past 30.

5. Can the media be stupid? Absolutely. Personally, I have a passion for good film and TV as an art form. My significant other and I bonded over references to classic movies and TV, and she wrote a screenplay and always wanted to do something in film as a career, but is very humble and down to earth. Not everyone who aspires in that career are superficial narcissists.

Oh, and Chicago and Boston are NOT media influenced major cities in the way the NY and LA are. In fact the people and culture in Chicago and Boston actually are kind of contemptuous of media influence and pride themselves in not having a major entertainment and media based economy, and don't have much of a celebrity culture at all. (for MAJOR cities that is)

And before you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, I went to both college and grad school in small college towns under 50,000 (not part of larger metro areas) in places that get cold and/or snowy in the winter.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
1.How would dating in a city where people have deeper roots and where there are fewer transplants be better? If you have deeper roots somewhere, chances are they already have their social groups and networks nearby and so have no need to go out and meet others. Chances are they married young because they met people through their tight inner social circles, or if they didn't, they still don't need to "put themselves out there." This is particularly true for women. If you are guy, it would be almost impossible to date/get a girlfriend somewhere where nearly everyone already has local tight knit social networks of friends and family nearby.

2. Cold weather severely limits what you can actually do on a date. Sure, "netflix and chilling" is fine for when you are already in a relationship or at least have been dating for awhile, but for the first few times when a woman is first getting to know you, she's going to want to be in a public place, and braving snow storms are not most women's' idea of a good time. Even for most women who actually grew up in that climate. I know relatively few women who grew up with cold and snow that actually like the cold and snow.

4. I agree that universities are a positive influence, but you kind of are too old for that scene past the age of 25, and DEFINITELY past 30.

5. Can the media be stupid? Absolutely. Personally, I have a passion for good film and TV as an art form. My significant other and I bonded over references to classic movies and TV, and she wrote a screenplay and always wanted to do something in film as a career, but is very humble and down to earth. Not everyone who aspires in that career are superficial narcissists.

Oh, and Chicago and Boston are NOT media influenced major cities in the way the NY and LA are. In fact the people and culture in Chicago and Boston actually are kind of contemptuous of media influence and pride themselves in not having a major entertainment and media based economy, and don't have much of a celebrity culture at all. (for MAJOR cities that is)

And before you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, I went to both college and grad school in small college towns under 50,000 (not part of larger metro areas) in places that get cold and/or snowy in the winter.
Well, Syracuse is actually more like a mid sized city with close to 150,000 just within the city limits and about 660,000 in the metro/750,000 in the CSA/1.1-1.2 in the larger CNY region. So, it is a little bit different than say a State College PA or Bozeman MT. It is actually the 5th biggest city in NY State.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:23 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, Syracuse is actually more like a mid sized city with close to 150,000 just within the city limits and about 660,000 in the metro/750,000 in the CSA/1.1-1.2 in the larger CNY region. So, it is a little bit different than say a State College PA or Bozeman MT. It is actually the 5th biggest city in NY State.
I understand. I was just trying to point out that those qualities that CNY4life listed are not actually qualities that make a place good for dating. I'm sure Syracuse is a lot better than State College PA or Bozeman MT for dating, but not for those reasons listed, but rather because it is big enough to have access to some more of the qualities and amenities that much larger cities have in abundance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area