U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 49,238 times

Advertisements

We live in South carolina now and are looking into moving to east syracuse my husband can maybe transfer his job to the east syracuse area. Everything is up in the air .
We own a house here in SC and hope to sell by May and move there to east syracuse from what I read the east syracuse minoa central high is a good school but pine grove middle is okay.. My daughter would be going into 8th grade and we would plan on staying there at least until she is through school .. Just have to get use to the snow. I have not been back to NY in 15 years I grew up in long island and my husband grew up in florida so he would really have to get used to the snow. Anyways I don't know much about east syracuse but hoping somebody can help us out here.. The schools have got to be better than SC schools they are horrible.. dirty unsannitzed bathrooms, fights , children at age 13 are doing things I am amazed at and I am only 34.. So any thoughts on syracuse and what area would be a great area to look into to would be appreciated . Also how is the house taxes and house insurance rates ? Is the real estate as high as long island?
How about the jobs I usually work clerical, customer service .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,187,492 times
The East Syracuse/Minoa suburban area of Syracuse aren't anything special. They remind of Solvay and Lakeland in the western suburbs. My logic is why live there when there are many other nicer suburbs of Syracuse.... If living very close to work is important to your family, some neighborhoods just north of East Syracuse and the newer homes near Minoa are OK. I think the median price of a single family home in the East Syracuse Minoa area is around $170,000. East Syracuse-Minoa (ESM) school district is average, not bad, not great. If you find a great neighborhood you like in the East Syracuse Minoa area, I'm not saying to not live there...I guess my point is I don't want you to limit your search to just East Syracuse.

The area around East Syracuse, (or Northern DeWitt) is where most industrial parks, office parks and businesses are located for the Syracuse Metropolitan area. Therefore it has an industrial "feel" and isn't that attractive. Carrier Circle is located in this area... along with more than a dozen hotels that cater to business travelers. Many... many... many outsiders get a bad first impression of Syracuse based on staying in hotels around Carrier Circle. (BTW, the location of most of Syracuse's hotels give bad first impressions of Syracuse since they are all located far away from the nicer suburbs.)

Since your husband will work in East Syracuse, you will probably want to live in the eastern part of Onondaga County. These suburbs include Cicero, Fayetteville-Manlius, and Jamesville-DeWitt.

Fayetteville-Manlius This is the upscale suburb of Syracuse. Is located in the best school district in the area. One of the top in the State. Along with southern DeWitt (Jamesville) Fayetteville-Manlius has the highest housing prices and property taxes in the Syracuse area. Land is hilly. Median price of a single family home is about $260,000. I believe for every $100,000 your house is worth, you pay about $3,000 in property taxes.

Jamesville-DeWitt Very good school district. Homes are expensive. Many doctors and SU Professors live here because it's an easy commute to University Hill where SU and many Hospitals are located. Land is hilly. Median price of a home is about $220,000. For every $100,000 your house is worth, you pay about $3,000 in property taxes.

Cicero Housing is cheaper. Taxes are lower. The School district (North Syracuse) is huge with over 10,000 students and isn't as good as most other suburban school districts in the Syracuse area. Land is flat. Town is growing the fastest with a lot of new construction. Gets a little more snow than the eastern suburbs of Manlius and DeWitt. Median price of a home is about $165,000. For every $100,000 your house is worth, you pay about $2,000 in property taxes.

Other towns a little farther away from East Syracuse include Clay and Salina. Salina is mostly an older town. The eastern part of Salina is in the North Syracuse School District. Western part is in the Liverpool school district. Median price of a home in Salina is about $105,000. Clay is a large suburb of about 60,000. Eastern half is located in North Syracuse school district. Western half is located in the Liverpool school district. Median price of a home in Clay is about $150,000. For every $100,000 your house is worth, you pay about $2,000 in property taxes in both towns.

Camillus, Onondaga, Baldwinsville/Lysander are probably too far away from East Syracuse. That's why I didn't include those suburbs.

SC schools IMO, all suburban Syracuse school districts are better than SC schools. The only one to avoid is the City of Syracuse schools.

house insurance rates About $600 a year is what we pay, which includes Earthquake coverage too. I know we are low compared to coastal areas. The area isn't prone to any major natural disasters.

Jobs are growing in the Syracuse area. If you have good experience working in clerical, or customer service, you could probably find something in that field. Pay wouldn't be as high as Long Island or some other parts of the country though.

Feel free to answer me any other questions. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,994 times
Default Moving to Rome, but wanting to live closer to Syracuse

Just curious,

I'm going to be working in Rome at the Griffiss Labs for the next several years. However, housing in Rome and Utica and the surrounding area is not the greatest. Actually, it's really kind of bad. Many people who currently work at the Labs commute from as far west as Liverpool and as far south as New Hartford. However, I just saw a really great house in Cicero, and was wondering what the area is like (hoping better than Rome/Utica) to help my decision of where to live. I heard schoos are not as good as some of the other suburbs, but my girls won't be school aged for years yet.

Any comments?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM

161 posts, read 967,707 times
gedafe, schools are important even if you don't have any children, because they affect your home value and the future value. We have many residence that commute to, Rome, Utica and Oswego. They prefer to be in this area because of the schools and the nieghborhoods. Keep your eye on some of the eastern burbs like anything from Chittenengo, Cazenovia, both a bit rural, but pretty, to Fayetteville, Manlius and up to Cicero, Clay, and liverpool. I'm in Baldwinsville but that is a bit west for your commute.

Dawn, I agree with Bellafinzi and would just like to add one more comment. Traffic is light up here, so a ten mile commute is nothing. There are some very nice areas convienient to East Syracuse. Don't get me wrong East Syracuse can be nice, but if there is nothing specifically holding you there I would look at towns like Manlius, Dewitt, Cicero and Fayetteville. As for the snow, I love it. It is different and always exciting, if you have the right attitude about it than it is not a problem.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 AM

24 posts, read 135,503 times
I am still looking for an area to move my family to. I read that you live in Baldwinsville. Do you have children in that district? If so, what do you think of the schools? I had my mind set on the Westhill school district, but I drove out there the other day (lots and lots of snow I must add) and I feel like there are not a lot of options for newer homes in my price range (let me know if I am wrong). We are looking to buy a newer home no higher than 200,000. I drove through Skyland Meadow. There is a builder that builds homes just slightly above 200,000, but I wasn't crazy about the lots. There were other developments I liked, but of course they looked out of my price range. My last visit I did drive around the area that is across from the High school. I liked the neighborhoods, but they were a little too close to the rougher areas of the city. I am also concerned about my husbands commute to work. He will be working at the Woodland Industrial Park. I drove there from Onondaga Hill and it took about 1/2 hour. So now I may through Baldwinsville in the loop. I know I don't want to send my kids to North Syracuse because I think that is too big. Do you see Baldwinsville growing that much? Sorry for all the questions. This is a tough decision. I only want to move once : ) Thanks for your help.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 31,117 times
in response to dawn1972- I am also in SC currently and will be moving back to NY. Maybe east Syracuse - not sure yet. We are currently looking at Cazenovia as we have heard it is quaint and a nice lake village. I have seen Skaneateles (west side of Syracuse) and it is lovely but VERY expensive. I can atleast find some more affordable homes in Cazenovia. As far as SC and the schools in comparison to NY- well there is none. SC does not have the resources, buildings, or extra activities like NY offers. I have been in SC for 2 yrs and can't wait to move back to NY. (formerly from outside Rochester). As for the snow- you either love it or you don't. I suggest getting active in some sort of winter activity and also get a 4-whl drive vehicle - especially if you aren't used to driving in snow. But winter can be so pretty- that is what I miss alot -is that NY you just have such beauty in every season. Hope your move to NY goes well - What part of SC are you in? i'm in hartsville.
Keep a positive attitude and enjoy NY!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM

13 posts, read 76,658 times
Dawn1972, I would also recommend Cazenovia. If you're looking for a smaller, but excellent school district, its there. Caz is also fairly close to the new YMCA in Fayetteville which is a nice place to go with kids in the winter months here. Check out their website, google East Area YMCA, Fayetteville. CAZ is also about 15-20 minutes from a family-friendly ski hill called Toggenburg. Something to try when you come!

Good luck with your process!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM

253 posts, read 1,179,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedafe View Post
Just curious,

I'm going to be working in Rome at the Griffiss Labs for the next several years. However, housing in Rome and Utica and the surrounding area is not the greatest. Actually, it's really kind of bad. Many people who currently work at the Labs commute from as far west as Liverpool and as far south as New Hartford. However, I just saw a really great house in Cicero, and was wondering what the area is like (hoping better than Rome/Utica) to help my decision of where to live. I heard schoos are not as good as some of the other suburbs, but my girls won't be school aged for years yet.

Any comments?
Im surprised you think New Hartford [Utica suburb] to Rome [10 minutes away from Utica] is somehow a long commute.... ?

20 miles? Dude, Im not even someone who lives in a place like NYC or D.C. or L.A. San Francisco... a 20 minute / 20 mile commute is absolutely nothing. Period. Anywhere in the U.S. My Aunt in Glendale, CA has a 45 minute / 7 mile commute. And thats SHORT out there.

I drive 17 miles between buffalo suburbs to watch hockey games with my one buddy a couple times a week.. I drive about 17 miles to school every single day in 20 minutes...

Also gotta address the 'kind of bad' thing... what the ****? New Hartford is where the Utica richie riches live.. if thats bad.. then either move to midtown manhatten or just GTFO of new york state entirely. Seriously. Move to Beverly Hills.

Dont even think of getting anywhere near Amherst NY... **** is hardcore, you might get shot. GHATTED DOWN IN THE GHETTO

I swear to god, In upstate NY you get a quiet , yet low-income part of a town and the local yokels think its South Central Los Angeles/Compton/Detroit/Etc etc.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 31,117 times
this is for "cazmama"-- I am assuming by your name that maybe you are from cazenovia-- is that true? if so- I am very interested in knowing anything you can share on the town. does it have a youth football league? summer rec program for kids? how far is gainful employment- is it a long commute to every where? how long of a drivwe is it to this YMCA you spoke of? anything would be great... thank you.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM

30 posts, read 113,589 times
I think it all depends what you are looking for. Do you want to be close to the city of Syracuse? If that's not important, I wouldn't choose East Syracuse. As far as the schools go- what do you want there? Bigger and lots of glitzy stuff, or smaller but lower student/teacher ratio? Once you give me some specifics, I might be able to help you out. I am also a realtor, so I could e-mail you some listings if you want to compare them by school district too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area