Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 AM

7 posts, read 9,211 times

Advertisements

I am a fantasy writer living in Italy. I need to have some information about Syracuse and surroundings (easy ones) I am on g mail user name radlau. If you think you can help me please contact.
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM

Default Fayetville and other places near Syracuse

I need information (easy). Please if you can, contact me
I am on gmail username radlau

Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 AM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Fayetteville is one of the more affluent or upper middle class suburbs in the area. Good schools, nice village with a shopping center close by with some shops/restaurants in the "Downtown" area of the village.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,897 times
Fayetteville is nicer and more pedestrian/bike friendly than Manlius. Manlius is more car-oriented/sprawl and the people there think they're better than those in Fayetteville. Green Lakes State Park is also (kinda) in Fayetteville and there's a path to the Erie Canal towpath that goes from the lower village/limestone plaza area.

Although Cazenovia is much more "quaint". Nicer village and it has a small college which gives the place some character. Sits on Cazenovia lake, good schools. But Fayetteville-Manlius offers better schools (probably best in the area) and slightly better access to Syracuse.

Last edited by MrBacon; 01-28-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBacon View Post
Fayetteville is nicer and more pedestrian/bike friendly than Manlius. Manlius is more car-oriented/sprawl and the people there think they're better than those in Fayetteville. Green Lakes State Park is also (kinda) in Fayetteville and there's a path to the Erie Canal towpath that goes from the lower village/limestone plaza area.

Although Cazenovia is much more "quaint". Nicer village and it has a small college which gives the place some character. Sits on Cazenovia lake, good schools. But Fayetteville-Manlius offers better schools (probably best in the area) and slightly better access to Syracuse.
Fayetteville is actually IN Manlius. And the stereotype is opposite... Fayetteville is considered nicer, where the people with "real money" live. The Village of Fayetteville also doesn't have a recognizable park system, where you can hike/fish/bike trails/run. The Village of Manlius does have those things... and all very walkable. I should know- we're a one-vehicle family and my husband usually takes the car to work. We bike/walk everywhere... the only thing we can't do is go to the YMCA, which isn't exactly walkable/bikeable from the Village of Fayetteville either, with all the congestion on East Genesee St. and north, toward the Kohl's/YMCA plaza. In the V. of Manlius, I can do everything else and get there by walking or [more quickly and ZERO chance of children whining] biking there with the children in a trailer. Nothing I need is more than 3 blocks away. If we just want to go to the playground, there are three of them within a distance of about a third of a mile, at most. Almost all of the children in the village proper go to Fayetteville Elementary, in the Village of Fayetteville.

The Village of Manlius also has a VERY active community center/large, updated, *beautiful* library/senior centre/fitness gyms/sports' fields/farmers' market/ice cream stand/park, which gives us more activities/events to walk TO, if we don't have the car and thus, can't get to the Y. It's the exact reason that we chose to make a home for our family in the Village of Manlius... it was more walkable/bikeable/had more to offer than the also-pretty Village of Fayetteville.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:51 PM

379 posts, read 512,659 times
And the people in Ithaca think they're better than everyone :-)

just kidding, I don't know that for sure. but they did kind of sneer at me when I ordered meat at a (mostly) vegetarian restaurant there

Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 AM

Thank you for the answers about Fayetville. I have already drafted my chapter, wich is set not on present time but at the end of the '40s, after WW II . If you want to check the accuracy of what I wrote I can send it by e-mail, but you have to contact me. I am on gmail.com, username radlau
(BTW, it is a vampire story!)
Thanks again
Laura

Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 14,090 times
I've lived in Fayetteville my whole life, and here is why I like it better than any of the other towns mentioned. Even though it is considered a bit "bigger" (more trafficked) than areas like Caz or Skan, it is also more centrally located. You can visit Manlius, Caz, DeWitt, Jamesville, Skan, Camillus, downtown Syracuse, Liverpool, or areas even further like Oneida in just a day trip or less. You have quick and easy access to all the lakes and lake towns without paying the property values of owning or renting in such a town. There is everything you need right in Fayetteville and Manlius: Target, grocery stores (WEGMANS!!), banks, restaurants, boutiques, salons, etc. You don't ever have to leave town to get anything you need, but you have the option to get out of town anytime you want. Yay Fayetteville!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Can you suggest me n historical Tearoom, mabe in a Hotel, existing already in 1947?
Thanks
Laura

Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla10 View Post
Can you suggest me n historical Tearoom, mabe in a Hotel, existing already in 1947?
Thanks
Laura
Right IN the Village of F'ville?

I don't know of any... some possibilities you could work in:

Hullar's Restaurant , which has offered a variety of food/drink services since 1818.
With prohibition taking effect in the 1920's, the property was converted to house a confectionary store, ice cream parlor and a filling station. After prohibition ended, the property returned to use as a tap room, grill, and a ice cream shop once again becoming a popular gathering spot.

Grover Cleveland grew up in a stately house, also on the main street, a short block down. Maybe his relatives still lived there and they had enough tea parties to negate the need for a tea room?

The Gage House, also very nearby, is full of history... the woman of the house, Matilda Joslyn Gage, was a great visionary who took action when others did/or would not. The underground railroad, trying to bring peace between Native Americans and the rest of white society, mother-in-law to Baum... she encouraged him to write down his stories... like The Wizard of Oz. (Baum grew up in Chittenango, just down the road.)

Whichever way you go, there is no shortage of magnificent old homes in Fayetteville... I can definitely see why a public tea room wouldn't be in high demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area