U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Comparison of Syracuse area and New Hampshire, better tap water, friendlier people, traffic and driving ability, modern buildings, architecture, less expensive housing, cost of living, population

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,190,331 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a short trip in southern New Hampshire. Here I'll try to compare the Syracuse area with that part of New England.

Based on all the places I've been in New England, and all the things I've read/heard about various parts of New England...right now I consider southern New Hampshire the best place to live in New England. Yes, I was impressed. Not sure what I was expecting, but it exceeded my expectations.

The major differences between southern New Hampshire and the Syracuse area are:

-People drive way too fast/crazy in southern New Hampshire but yet they take their time when they are not in their car. When I walked around the Mall of New Hampshire people were not in a hurry to get anywhere. Very strange compared my experience in Syracuse area malls.

-The Syracuse area has much better tap (drinking/washing) water. The water in southern New Hampshire doesn't taste as good, is harder to wash off soap in, and makes your hair more frizzy.

-I was expecting the people in southern New Hampshire to either have an attitude, be very judgmental or just be plain rude...much like the rest of New England....I found that not to be the case at all. The people in southern New Hampshire are very friendly. They remind me of the way people used to act in the Syracuse area in the late 1980s... when the Syracuse economy was booming and we attracted families from all over the country. People just seemed a little more upbeat and happy in southern New Hampshire compared to Upstate NYers....probably because they live in a fast growing region with plenty of job opportunities. While we in Upstate live in a stagnant, depressed region.

-Hmmm.... how do put this. Well, lets just say there are many attractive girls all over southern New Hampshire. The Syracuse area produces/raises many very attractive girls, but most of them leave the Syracuse area after college. So generally you’ll go to high school with lots of pretty girls, but once you grow up and come back home after college...most are long gone. That's not the case in southern New Hampshire. Now the opposite sex. The young men looked more fashionable than most men in the Syracuse area...plus many were a little more cocky too. They reminded me of young guys in the Rochester area, but with a little more class IMO.

-As you can tell by my photo tours, I like being surrounded by new construction, attractive modern buildings, and neatly landscaped grounds. Well, southern New Hampshire has the Syracuse area beat in this category by a long shot. Southern New Hampshire has almost doubled in population in the last 40 years and it shows. Beautiful new structures are everywhere. Everything is landscaped really nice. Roads are in good condition. Meanwhile, the Syracuse area hasn't grown at all in population since 1970. And that shows with all the old, outdated buildings, the abandoned buildings, the weed filled properties and lack of attractive modern architecture.

So if you must move to New England and you like living in a nice suburban area with friendly people... I'd say it's probably hard to beat southern New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 125,986 times
A big reason for the newer buildings and more people is that southern NH, mainly Nashua and Manchester to some extent, is a suburb of Boston. Many people are moving there for the less expensive housing compared to the areas around Boston. It helps to have a booming city nearby, something Syracuse does not have.

Where in southern NH were you?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM

I was in the Manchester area, specifically Bedford.

You're right....the Boston suburbs do extend into southern New Hampshire all the way to Manchester. For that very reason, I figured the Boston mentality and the Boston accent would be prominent....it's really not. I only ran into a few people that had the Boston accent...which is good. I'm not a big fan of the New York City, Long Island or Boston accents.

Just to clarify. There are attractive girls in the 22 to 35 year old age group who live in the Syracuse area. It's just that there are probably five times the amount in southern New Hampshire. Didn't want outsiders to get the impression that the Syracuse area is totally devoid of beautiful young women.

This is for those of you who are into population statistics like I am...

-the four county region in southern New Hampshire has a population of roughly 967,000 and growing.

-the Syracuse four county region is about 724,000 and declining.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM

862 posts, read 815,701 times
Comparing a yuppy heaven to working-class grit -long stretch.
I like Grit myself but heh, I grew up off Geddes St.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 PM

I like comparing various friendly regions of this nation. Analyzing what makes them tick/comparing and contrasting them etc. You can have the places with major attitude. Not interested.

Anyone else notice a huge difference between what I'll call the "aliveness" factor between various metropolitan areas? This is very hard to describe, so bare with me. I've found people...generally speaking.... duller in some metropolitan areas and more "alive" in others. People in the Syracuse area seem to be somewhere in the middle. Not very alive and not very dull.

-The metropolitan area where I found the people to be the most dull was the Pittsburgh area.

-Not counting places with an attitude... southern New Hampshire has the most alive people of the places I've been in the last 10 years.

-I found the people in Western Michigan to be somewhere between Syracuse and Pittsburgh. More on the dull side.

This will probably sound self-absorbed. Seriously, I'm not a weirdo. But the only way I was able to tell the difference between places and determine the "aliveness" factor was by witnessing the noticeable reaction to my presence by looking at the faces and body language of dozens of people in public places. For example, in southern New Hampshire most people just reacted to me....they did not ignore me or dismiss me or not care about me. Sometimes I was a little overwhelmed by the attention I was getting at the Mall of New Hampshire. It was seriously an a different experience I was not expecting. For some reason most people in southern New Hampshire reacted to me. About 95% of the time is was a positive or neutral reaction. On the other hand in the Syracuse area...I get reactions from people but not as often and not so positive. People in the Syracuse area seem a little more suspicious, less interested and a little less accepting of the way I look and dress. One factor contributing to that is probably the age of the local population...the Syracuse area has a lot more older folks... people over 45 years of age. Southern New Hampshire looked much younger, lots of people under 40 years old. The younger people outnumbered the older crowd there. A refreshing change to say the least! So yes, people are very different depending on what region of the country you live in or visit.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Lot easier to be "alive" when you're young and rich than working class.old and beat down.
Really just responding to yourself, try and look for other qualities.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM

You're right. Good point. The bad state of the Upstate NY economy really does affect all aspects of everyone’s life here...including those with good paying jobs. Too bad Upstate is at the mercy of Downstate politicians who could care less about the economic viability of the Syracuse area.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're right. Good point. The bad state of the Upstate NY economy really does affect all aspects of everyone’s life here...including those with good paying jobs. Too bad Upstate is at the mercy of Downstate politicians who could care less about the economic viability of the Syracuse area.
Very true-But as we see from everyday days headlines -with the govt.
pumping billions after trillions into Wall Street fantasy support the entire
US economy is close to total collapse.At least we have less adjustment to make-LOL

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Another difference I forgot to mention.

Apparently, southern New Hampshire has a French TV station! Advantage southern New Hampshire!

When I visited southern New Hampshire, I was flipping channels on the TV in my hotel room, and came across a French television station. I was surprised since Syracuse and most other cities only have Spanish speaking TV channels.

Before "CurrentTV" took over the "International Channel" 4 or 5 years ago....I used to watch the French morning show on France's Channel 5 network. It was one of my favorite TV shows. Now I'm French TV depraved.

Too bad Time Warner in suburban Syracuse refuses to provide us in the basic cable package with any English Canadian TV stations or any French Canadian TV stations. I'd gladly give up half the sports channels (what do we have...like 15 sports channels now ) for just a couple Canadian stations.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,916,074 times
I'll second that desire for Canadian TV. I use to be able to pull it in at our lakefront house and miss it terribly. I wrote to Time Warner about it to no avail.

Glad you had a good time in New Hampshire. I have rarely found people to be unfriendly wherever I have gone with few exceptions. I'm curious as to your reference to the way you look and dress. What are we talking about here - spiky hair or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or