Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like the Mets are going to Buffalo. I figured it would turn out that way...

That begs the question.... which Major League Baseball team will affiliate with the Syracuse Chiefs for the 2009 season?

Looking out a couple years,...long-term thinking here.... the ONLY Major League Baseball team that makes perfect sense to affiliate with the Syracuse Chiefs are the Yankees!!!!!!!!

Who knows why exactly, but probably well-over 80% of all die-hard baseball fans in the Syracuse metropolitan area are fans of the New York Yankees. Heck, whenever the Syracuse Chiefs play the Yankees Triple-A affiliate, there are overwhelming more fans rooting against the Syracuse Chiefs and for the minor league Yankees club! Strange but true. There is no way that Scranton can even come close to matching the level of support that Syracuse would give the team, should the Yankees decide to affiliate with the Syracuse Chiefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM

93,182 posts, read 123,783,345 times
You would think that would be the case. While there is a pretty strong Yankees presence in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, I would think they would be a great fit for the Chiefs. I don't think the Yankees are looking to leave S/W-B anytime soon though.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
No. The AAA affiliate of the Yankees are planning to stay here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre into the foreseeable future. There are even discussions about the construction of a new stadium, possibly even a downtown one. We stole them from Columbus after Allentown stole our AAA Phillies affiliate, the Red Barons. If you want to steal the Yankees away from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then you better be prepared to fight us for them!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Wow, a Downtown stadium. What a concept! I wish people in Syracuse would have thought about that.

Also, isn't the stadium in Moosic pretty new?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
No. The AAA affiliate of the Yankees are planning to stay here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre into the foreseeable future. There are even discussions about the construction of a new stadium, possibly even a downtown one. We stole them from Columbus after Allentown stole our AAA Phillies affiliate, the Red Barons. If you want to steal the Yankees away from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then you better be prepared to fight us for them!
Still think they'd do better in Syracuse! Too bad NYC could care less about the rest of the State.

Syracuse signed with the Washington Nationals. The Nationals and Syracuse Chiefs officially announced their affiliation today....

Washington Nationals: We want to turn Syracuse Chiefs into a winning baseball team

Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow, a Downtown stadium. What a concept! I wish people in Syracuse would have thought about that.

Also, isn't the stadium in Moosic pretty new?
The Moosic stadium (now known as PNC Field) was built in 1989. It's not in very bad condition, but Mandalay Properties, which now owns a controlling interest in the local franchise, has had a history of relocating teams out of cities that refuse to build new stadiums for them. Right now the most likely proposal is that the stadium will stay in the same location at the foot of Montage Mountain that it is at right now, but it will be surrounded by a Yankees-oriented museum, hotel, stores, and the extension of a trolley line from Montage Mountain to the Electric City Trolley Museum in Downtown Scranton. The proposal for a downtown stadium is being spearheaded by others, including the city's mayor, and is being largely supported by sprawl opponents such as myself who don't want to see even MORE of the once-beautiful Montage Mountain deforested for more NYC-styled glamor. We think that a state-of-the-art stadium for the AAA franchise of the Yankees would be a huge boon to continue to spur economic development in the city.

One thing that I've always wanted to see in Downtown Syracuse besides a new stadium is the shifting of interstates underground, as has already been done in Boston via the "Big Dig." I know this would be a very expensive proposal, but the downtown would no longer be so "cut off" from neighborhoods. As a potential future Syracusean (stay tuned!), this is something that would really excite me.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
The Washington Nationals are in talks with the Chiefs

Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 PM

It's official, the Chiefs are partnered up with the Washington Nationals and Buffalo got the Mets.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM

133 posts, read 498,215 times
Default Yanks, Mets, BoSox???

Bella,

Why do I see a huge following of BoSox fans in Syr? You said 80% of baseball fans in the Syracuse region like the Yanks, I would debate that number. Everytime I go to the cuse I see a ton of sox fans all over the place. I have been a die-hard, life long Yankees fan so this is disappointing. I do agree that whenever SWB comes to town, most of the people are there to see them and not the Sky Chiefs. I know I am one of them! On another note--I am disappointed we didn't get the Mets, that sure would have drawn. People were just sick and tired of seeing the sky cheifs because let's face...who the heck cares about the Blue Jay's affiliate?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
Bella,

Why do I see a huge following of BoSox fans in Syr? You said 80% of baseball fans in the Syracuse region like the Yanks, I would debate that number. Everytime I go to the cuse I see a ton of sox fans all over the place. I have been a die-hard, life long Yankees fan so this is disappointing. I do agree that whenever SWB comes to town, most of the people are there to see them and not the Sky Chiefs. I know I am one of them! On another note--I am disappointed we didn't get the Mets, that sure would have drawn. People were just sick and tired of seeing the sky cheifs because let's face...who the heck cares about the Blue Jay's affiliate?
I think its partially because Syracuse isnt a Yankees affil team, I know growing up in Syracuse Yankees baseball really wasnt all that big. As far as why the BoSox (am tempted to go into a anti yankees rant but I wont) cant really say, might be they had alot of televised games back in the day and I am not really sure how I got into the Sox but I have been a fan since 82 or 83

BTW, Sox to win the series in 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area