U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
Default school

Wondering which school district you ended up in and if you are pleased with it. We are considering relocating to Syracuse area and would love your thoughts. We have 2 elementary age boys.
Thanks,
Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 24 days ago)

30,362 posts, read 35,099,529 times
What are you looking for in a school district?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM

89 posts, read 105,916 times
We moved here in the summer of 2010. I have 3 kids. 1 in HS, 1 in Middle and 1 in Elementary. We live in the FM school district. Specifically the Enders Rd., Eagle Hill Middle schools. Eagle Hill just received a blue ribbon meaning it is one of the best middle schools in the nation (maybe top 100, but I'm not sure).

Like others have said, it depends what you are looking for. FM is probably one of the most competitive districts in the area, but compared to where I grew up in Northern NJ, it's really not too bad. My kids are well adjusted and are doing fine in school.

We lived in St. Charles, IL for a few years also. I have to say the elementary school in St. Charles seemed to expect more in terms of math skills than here. Maybe that will change as my first grader gets older. We also lived in Connecticut. The schools here are far superior to CT.

The teachers at FM I have dealt with all are good and responsive to parents for the most part. The community cares about its schools.

I don't think you can go wrong with the top districts mentioned above. We are happy in Manlius. I do wonder what it would have been like to live in a lake based town like Skaneateles or Cazenovia. Skaneateles schools are all on 1 campus which is very appealing to me, not to mention the beauty of the lake. I would check out all the places on your short list and go with the area you love the most.

Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
We moved here in the summer of 2010. I have 3 kids. 1 in HS, 1 in Middle and 1 in Elementary. We live in the FM school district. Specifically the Enders Rd., Eagle Hill Middle schools. Eagle Hill just received a blue ribbon meaning it is one of the best middle schools in the nation (maybe top 100, but I'm not sure).

Like others have said, it depends what you are looking for. FM is probably one of the most competitive districts in the area, but compared to where I grew up in Northern NJ, it's really not too bad. My kids are well adjusted and are doing fine in school.

We lived in St. Charles, IL for a few years also. I have to say the elementary school in St. Charles seemed to expect more in terms of math skills than here. Maybe that will change as my first grader gets older. We also lived in Connecticut. The schools here are far superior to CT.

The teachers at FM I have dealt with all are good and responsive to parents for the most part. The community cares about its schools.

I don't think you can go wrong with the top districts mentioned above. We are happy in Manlius. I do wonder what it would have been like to live in a lake based town like Skaneateles or Cazenovia. Skaneateles schools are all on 1 campus which is very appealing to me, not to mention the beauty of the lake. I would check out all the places on your short list and go with the area you love the most.

Best of luck!
This part reminds me of this article(particularly the third paragraph): Teacher experience and credentials - Quality Teaching | GreatSchools

Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,910,232 times
Quote:
I have to say the elementary school in St. Charles seemed to expect more in terms of math skills than here. Maybe that will change as my first grader gets older.
I believe that is the case, as FM is known for being very competitive in math and sciences... maybe their technique is not to scare anyone off? lol

eta: http://www.soinc.org/2011_national_tournament
Last year, for the National Science Olympiad-

Eagle Hill ranked 10th, for middle schools.
For high schools, FM placed 11th.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 02-04-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 13,184 times
I am enjoying this thread. We are just found out that we will be moving to Syracuse this summer from Buffalo. (work related) We have 2 daughters, one that will be in 6th and the other 2nd. Thanks for all the great info! Great starting point on my research!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNY View Post
I am enjoying this thread. We are just found out that we will be moving to Syracuse this summer from Buffalo. (work related) We have 2 daughters, one that will be in 6th and the other 2nd. Thanks for all the great info! Great starting point on my research!
Is there anything that you are looking for in a community?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM

89 posts, read 105,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I believe that is the case, as FM is known for being very competitive in math and sciences... maybe their technique is not to scare anyone off? lol

eta: 2011 National Tournament | Science Olympiad
Last year, for the National Science Olympiad-

Eagle Hill ranked 10th, for middle schools.
For high schools, FM placed 11th

Is that in New York or nationally? Either way, that's quite good!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,910,232 times
Quote:
Is that in New York or nationally? Either way, that's quite good!
That's the National Olympiad.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM

175 posts, read 256,053 times
Any thoughts on private schools? I know CBA used to be thought of as the best and maybe still is. I heard Bishop Ludden expanded into arts and music. Music and drama would be a major factor in choosing a high school for our daughter if we get orders to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area