Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:28 PM

357 posts, read 968,412 times

Advertisements

On my last post I forgot to make mention of some things. Here is a link to a national article about how the University area is a great neighborhood, they also have some photos of the area.
http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/neighborhoods/2008/greateruniversityhill.htm

Secondly, if you do want to rent in this area try the following website. I think they rent a lot to students which is probably not what you are looking for but I have heard through the grape vine that if you contact them they can help you find what you are looking for and fit your needs.
http://www.universityhill.com/

Once again, Good Luck in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 91,958 times
Becky,

You must be a mind-reader! I was coming on here to ask about the Syracuse University area. I did actually contact that property management company today and they told me no pets

I have been looking on craigslist for apartments. The problem is we aren't moving right this second and it looks like most for rent are available right now. We don't have an exact date yet since my husband is applying for jobs.

You make it sound like the SU area is really family friendly. I was concerned that it might be crazy college kids up partying and drinking and driving I know they don't all do that but it is a concern that I have.

The pets are just making it so tough. I really don't want to have to give them up but on the same note I don't want to live somewhere I'm going to hate or have other issues.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Take my opinion with a grain of salt... I'm a brainwashed suburbanite ....but I find the whole City of Syracuse quite depressing for half the year. For someone not used to the overcast winter months, the general state of disrepair inside the city limits can be too much to bear for some people. When SU is not in session....May, June, July, August and for a couple months at the beginning of the school year - September and October.....the University Area can be a pleasant place to live, but once the cloudy season begins....November, December, January and Feb. Mar. and Apr.... the whole city is just too depressing for my liking. And for that reason I can never recommend living inside the city limits to anyone who isn't from this part of the country.

I agree with proulxfamily, take a hard look into the Village of Manlius or even the Village of Fayetteville. Or maybe the Village of Liverpool as ckhthankgod has suggested. Much more attractive/pleasing to the eyes and calming to the soul type of places IMO.

Keep in mind that most people that have a strong dislike for the Syracuse area are people that only have lived within the city limits or in older decaying suburban villages like East Syracuse. And most people who genuinely love the Syracuse area live or have lived in the nicer suburban towns surrounding the city.

Just my words of caution. I'll probably be attacked for my opinion, but I just want people who relocate to the Syracuse area to have a positive experience and not regret it.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-09-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM

I completely agree about the student thing. I wouldn't want to live near a party house either

I would certaintly stay away from the homes on the steets closest to the University. Most of these are large old houses which have been broken up into apts and almost always only go to students (they snatch them up very quickly) so its highly unlikely that you would end up in one of these or near one of these houses.

But I gave it some thought about how to make sure you are in one of the family neighborhoods and the Best point of reference I can give you is Barry Park (also known as Hookway tract). That's the park that I mentioned in a previous post with the playground, duck pond. Get a map of Syracuse and highlight that park, almost all of the neighborhoods within a half mile radius in any direction of that park are good family neighborhoods. When I was bringing my son to that playground I met a lot of parents who lived in that area because they wanted to live close to work (several of them rode their bicycles to work at the med center) but be in a good place to raise their children.
Links for Barry Park:
Barry Park syracuse - Google Maps

http://www.esf.edu/writingprogram/ho...rry%20Park.pdf

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

The following is a great link and might be a good resource for you to contact about rentals for families in the area. It is the Neighborhood association for Families (not students) living in that area. They also have a great map of the family neighborhoods (I lived within one of these neighborhoods). SEUNA - Home

I have pets as well and can only imagine how fustrating it must be to find someplace that will rent to someone with pets. My best suggestion would be to keep looking on Craigslist but here is another site you could possibly try.
Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing Make sure to click on "NON-Student Housing" I do know that this site says whether they accept pets or not.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM

I like everyones opinion I really do need everyone to be honest with me so I appreciate it. When I finally make it up there to make some final decisions I won't have time to be aimlessly wondering everywhere.

My husband was applying for jobs near SU that's why I was thinking of living over there but I'm not sure.

I was checking out Baldwinsville too. I really want to not drive but it looks like there are some really nice towns that are making me question my not driving post. Right now I live in Florida and everything is a drive with traffic. I'm thinking driving up here might be a bit different but I'm not sure. I grew up in smaller town in NY and really want that whole "Main Street" small town feel with lots of nature and outdoor activities.

You guys are awesome!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Keep in mind that most people that have a strong dislike for the Syracuse area are people that only have lived within the city limits or in older decaying suburban villages like East Syracuse. And most people who genuinely love the Syracuse area live or have lived in the nicer suburban towns surrounding the city.

bellafinizi
I am not going to attack you for your opinion because it's a valid opinion. But I think you should be a little more careful when making sweeping statements like this. Because as someone who grew up in the city (and lived there as an adult with a family) I would consider myself a city girl and I would never live in the suburbs. Also, all of my friends who I kept in contact with from Syracuse still live in the city (they never moved to the suburbs).

I think it's all about personal preference. Some people are city dwellers, some suburbanites, and some country lovers. I think it's good to keep this in mind when offering advice to people about where to live.
If someone gave me advise on a suburb to live in I would probably smile and say thank you but then would immediately seek out more info from people who can give me advice on the different areas of the city to live in.
But diversity of opinion is a great thing and that's why we have cities, suburbs , and small towns because not everyone likes the same thing

Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
beckyhuggs, you are right about the Westcott neighborhood. I thought about that area too and it is a very diverse, more family friendly area of the city of Syracuse. If I were to live in the city of Syracuse, I would live in that area or almost anywhere on the East side of the city. I think the area around Nottingham Road would be good too and maybe the area by LeMoyne College.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Hi everyone! It's me again

I am still trying to decide on Liverpool or B'ville. I was pretty much all set on Liverpool until I used Google maps and saw the way the roads are setup in the middle of town. Granted I don't think I'll be going for a stroll through town in the snowy winter.

Here are my thoughts if anyone has any input I would appreciate it

Liverpool: The Onondaga Lake Park looks so beautiful! I can see myself going bike riding and spending time gazing at the lake. Liverpool does look walkable kind of. One of the apartments I was looking at was Harborside but I don't think I would want to walk from there to the park. It looks a little icky. Originally, I was looking at the Saddle Club apartments and that would need a car too but I could keep my doggie

B'Ville: It looks like there are a lot more family activities there. I see that there is the YMCA (not sure I could afford it upon arrival) and recreation center. I would definitely need to be a driver but I think with good planning I could only make a two or three trips out a week. Radission looks like a great place, very similar to the planned community I am in now. I'm not sure that I would want to live there. It looks like B'ville in general has so many things that if you don't live there you can still find a bunch to do. I might be wrong, not sure? I saw a bunch of pictures online of the diner - I'm so ready to go there! I miss diners

If someone could make the decision for me that would be SUPER! Seriously, any input would be good. I have enjoyed researching the area in general. It looks so beautiful with so many fun things to do.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToStartOver View Post
Hi everyone! It's me again

I am still trying to decide on Liverpool or B'ville. I was pretty much all set on Liverpool until I used Google maps and saw the way the roads are setup in the middle of town. Granted I don't think I'll be going for a stroll through town in the snowy winter.

Here are my thoughts if anyone has any input I would appreciate it

Liverpool: The Onondaga Lake Park looks so beautiful! I can see myself going bike riding and spending time gazing at the lake. Liverpool does look walkable kind of. One of the apartments I was looking at was Harborside but I don't think I would want to walk from there to the park. It looks a little icky. Originally, I was looking at the Saddle Club apartments and that would need a car too but I could keep my doggie

B'Ville: It looks like there are a lot more family activities there. I see that there is the YMCA (not sure I could afford it upon arrival) and recreation center. I would definitely need to be a driver but I think with good planning I could only make a two or three trips out a week. Radission looks like a great place, very similar to the planned community I am in now. I'm not sure that I would want to live there. It looks like B'ville in general has so many things that if you don't live there you can still find a bunch to do. I might be wrong, not sure? I saw a bunch of pictures online of the diner - I'm so ready to go there! I miss diners

If someone could make the decision for me that would be SUPER! Seriously, any input would be good. I have enjoyed researching the area in general. It looks so beautiful with so many fun things to do.
You can't go wrong either way. I personally like Liverpool more due to more things in that area, but it depends on what apartments you are living in. I do like the village of Baldwinsville though too. Liverpool has a YMCA too, but it is on Wetzel Road in the town of Clay. They have a diner on Old Liverpool Rd. and a nice little downtown area too.

Not to change things, you might want to consider North Syracuse too. I drive through there a lot and there are some apartments in the village and some small parks there too. Here's some pictures of the village:Village of North Syracuse and the village website:Village of North Syracuse

Wood Wind Gardens might be a good apartment complex to check out. Palace Court apartments might also be good too.

Also, when you said something was icky, was it the apartment or the village of Liverpool?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I'd choose Liverpool... there were a few months when I didn't have a car at all and I was just fine. Look at Covered Bridge Apartments on Vine St. Especially in the spring/summer, I think Liverpool is MUCH better. There are a ton of family events in the park and their playground is GREAT! We drive from 15-20 minutes away to use it. Look at the parks side of www.ongov.net.

Baldwinsville, and I'm sorry if anyone feels offended by it, looks dirtier in general. Not bums on the street kind of dirty... but more of a neglect. Everything is tucked away and separated. Liverpool is set up together and easier to navigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area