Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM

32 posts, read 91,928 times

Advertisements

When I meant icky I meant walking from the Harborside apartments to Heids or the park. It looks like there is a old closed down drive in theater. I think there were sidewalks but in some areas it looks like there was not. I just can't imagine that walk being nice and relaxing. I have a little one that will only be stuck in a stroller for so long so I just don't see that as a good route to get to the park.

Here's the route it shows from: 3 Vine, Liverpool, NY 13088 (Onondaga Lake Park) to: 24 Town Garden Drive, Liverpool, NY 13088 - Google Maps

I really want to keep my dog so I'm not so sure I would move to Harborside since they don't allow dogs. The google street view just made me think twice.

It turns out weren't going to be able to visit before we move so this decision is going to be made based on what I can see online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'd choose Liverpool... there were a few months when I didn't have a car at all and I was just fine. Look at Covered Bridge Apartments on Vine St. Especially in the spring/summer, I think Liverpool is MUCH better. There are a ton of family events in the park and their playground is GREAT! We drive from 15-20 minutes away to use it. Look at the parks side of www.ongov.net.

Baldwinsville, and I'm sorry if anyone feels offended by it, looks dirtier in general. Not bums on the street kind of dirty... but more of a neglect. Everything is tucked away and separated. Liverpool is set up together and easier to navigate.
I forgot about Covered Bridge on Vine. Actually, B'ville has come up in terms of sprucing up the business district. They tore down that abandoned factory and put a plaza there. It is coming along better than it was a few years ago or so. With that said, I co sign off of everything you said about Liverpool. Great library too that is open later than most too. You have Nichol's Supermarket in the business district/downtown area too. There are some nice restaurants there too.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Here are a few apartments that allow dogs in the area:Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

Apartments in Syracuse, New York | High Acres Apartments | Syracuse, NY-

Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks I actually emailed them today for more information.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
I lived in the Covered Bridge apartments around 12 years ago or so, they are nice (or were), and its a real quiet complex

Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I lived in the Covered Bridge apartments around 12 years ago or so, they are nice (or were), and its a real quiet complex
I lived there from 2002 through 2004, before getting married, and I agree... pretty quiet, no problems, maintenance was very much on top of everything, and I really enjoyed living there. Affordably priced rent, especially considering heat and hot water was included. I had a spacious one bedroom with heat and hw included for $525.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 AM

Default Covered Bridge

I had emailed them but they don't take cats and dogs.

The one place I was going back and forth emailing yesterday was Wellington Manor Apartments. They are on 4399 Plantation Blvd. They are pet friendly so that ones a possibility. Does anyone know what's across the street from that area? It looks like it's a warehouse or something. There's a bunch of big trucks in the photo.

I have even considered going all the way to La Fayette to the apartments down there. I should have named this tread need affordable and pet friendly housing.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToStartOver View Post
I had emailed them but they don't take cats and dogs.

The one place I was going back and forth emailing yesterday was Wellington Manor Apartments. They are on 4399 Plantation Blvd. They are pet friendly so that ones a possibility. Does anyone know what's across the street from that area? It looks like it's a warehouse or something. There's a bunch of big trucks in the photo.

I have even considered going all the way to La Fayette to the apartments down there. I should have named this tread need affordable and pet friendly housing.
You'd be across from Raymour and Flanigan's plant and central offices. It's on Morgan Road and generally industrial. The walk to Liverpool would be on the side of a VERY busy, 4 lane road. Not scenic or quaint by any stretch of the imagination. There are many apartment complexes of varying degrees of quality on Morgan Road, all clumped together. As you can tell, I'm not fond of it. The bus does run down there though.

Have you looked at Craigslist at all? Obviously, I'm partial to Fayetteville-Manlius-Dewitt but I've seen far more private owners willing to accept well behaved pets with reasonable rent than complexes. In October, I was looking for an apartment for a friend and her DH with 2 little girls and a dog and cat... there was a 3 bedroom apartment (half house each - 2 tenants) in the village of Manlius for $600/mo. It was a cute red house and beautifully kept. If there weren't three mailboxes on it, I would never know it was a rental.

I really think you'd have better luck finding a non-complex rental that accepts pets.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You'd be across from Raymour and Flanigan's plant and central offices. It's on Morgan Road and generally industrial. The walk to Liverpool would be on the side of a VERY busy, 4 lane road. Not scenic or quaint by any stretch of the imagination. There are many apartment complexes of varying degrees of quality on Morgan Road, all clumped together. As you can tell, I'm not fond of it. The bus does run down there though.

Have you looked at Craigslist at all? Obviously, I'm partial to Fayetteville-Manlius-Dewitt but I've seen far more private owners willing to accept well behaved pets with reasonable rent than complexes. In October, I was looking for an apartment for a friend and her DH with 2 little girls and a dog and cat... there was a 3 bedroom apartment (half house each - 2 tenants) in the village of Manlius for $600/mo. It was a cute red house and beautifully kept. If there weren't three mailboxes on it, I would never know it was a rental.

I really think you'd have better luck finding a non-complex rental that accepts pets.
Yeah, it is a cluster of apartment complexes and some are nicer than others.

I think the viallges are the best bet for this area. So, communities like North Syracuse, Baldwinsville, East Syracuse, Solvay, Fayetteville and Manlius would be the best choices. Now, some are more working class, blue collar and some are pretty affluent and middle to upper middle class and some are in between. Solvay and East Syracuse are more working class. North Syracuse and B'ville are in between and Fayetteville and Manlius is more middle to upper middle class. Some other suburban communites that also could be considered are older suburbs that are more walkable like Nedrow, Mattydale and Galeville(L'pool area), among others. All are pretty much considered to be working class communities and to some, have a stigma attached to them, but are not really "bad" communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area