Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times

Advertisements

Hi.

As I contiune to research about potenially moving to CNY, I see cheap houses can be found just about anywhere in CNY. I've seen them as low as $10k. As there are plenty of affordable homes, I only wonder why it's cheap: Is it the house, or is it the area? I'm looking at Ononadaga and Oswego counties houses. I can very well live below within my means on an older home with some acerage for $50k +/-.

The cheapest area was Fulton, ranging from 10k and up. Is something wrong with Fulton, or are the houses just trashed?

I realize the best source was asking the locals. Since I'm a little too far away for the moment, this will do. Can anyone throw up names of good places where I can find an afffordable house with some land? The more rural, the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Hrmm. I've been looking around at city of Syracuse property lately and have noticed what you indicate. Many of the lower priced (sub-$30k) listings are fixer-uppers (as one would expect) and often that is combined with neighborhood issues (which would let them get to that state). Can't comment with regards to Fulton's listings, but I'd imagine as with anywhere else the low low prices are houses in need of significant work.

The housing market here is somewhat depressed price-wise compared to many areas, but it's not quite that depressed on the whole :-)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM

Oops, yes, I meant to say I'm looking for a fixer-upper as well.

Some fixer-uppers exist because some people don't know how to upkeep, or doesn't want to. It's not always because it's in a bad area.

Syracuse's encomony may take a turn for the worse...

CNY cities tightening belts, cutting workforces - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 12-04-2008, 03:45 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
If you don't mind 160 inches of snow every winter, you might want to check out the Town of West Monroe, NY. It's very rural yet is close enough to Central Square and Cicero so you'll still have access to shopping. You probably won't find any $10,000 homes there though.

Does municipal water matter to you? Most areas of Onondaga and many towns in southern Oswego County pipe in its' water from Lake Ontario and two Finger Lakes. The one exception is the Town of Schroeppel. That town is still living off well water. Personally, I'd steer clear of Schroeppel. That town is very hesitant of any change. Want to re-zone your property? Good luck in doing it in the Town of Schroeppel!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM

I love snow! 160 inches? Wonder if it'd get me in shape from shoveling...

Looking into West Monroe as we speak.

Is well water terrible in CNY? Well water tastes just fine for me while I'm in the boonies of PA. Lake Ontario water should taste better than bottled water, anyway...right?

Is I-81 considered the only "main" road around Syracuse? I'm seeing a lot of roads, some state routes, nothing on a large scale except the I-81.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I love snow! 160 inches? Wonder if it'd get me in shape from shoveling...

Looking into West Monroe as we speak.

Is well water terrible in CNY? Well water tastes just fine for me while I'm in the boonies of PA. Lake Ontario water should taste better than bottled water, anyway...right?

Is I-81 considered the only "main" road around Syracuse? I'm seeing a lot of roads, some state routes, nothing on a large scale except the I-81.
I-81 isn't the only highway in the area. There's I-90, which is the NY State Thruway, I-690, which goes East and West through the city of Syracuse and I-481, which is a bypass that starts at the southern end of the city, goes through the Eastern suburbs and up all the way to Oswego and into Lake Ontario.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Hi.

As I contiune to research about potenially moving to CNY, I see cheap houses can be found just about anywhere in CNY. I've seen them as low as $10k. As there are plenty of affordable homes, I only wonder why it's cheap: Is it the house, or is it the area? I'm looking at Ononadaga and Oswego counties houses. I can very well live below within my means on an older home with some acerage for $50k +/-.

The cheapest area was Fulton, ranging from 10k and up. Is something wrong with Fulton, or are the houses just trashed?

I realize the best source was asking the locals. Since I'm a little too far away for the moment, this will do. Can anyone throw up names of good places where I can find an afffordable house with some land? The more rural, the better.

Thanks!
Also, try the towns south of Syracuse like Lafayette, Tully, Otisco, Onondaga(Nedrow zip code), Fabius and maybe Pompey. Elbridge, which is in between Syracuse and Auburn would be another good town to look at.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Filmsniffer: Not sure about well water, but it shouldn't be too bad. Central New York (particularly around Oswego County) often wins statewide water taste contests. The water there comes from a very nice aquifer (that some company is trying to bottle and sell.)

You don't want to be tasting Lake Ontario water though. Great Lakes aren't poison, but they're not exactly pristine clean either.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

You don't want to be tasting Lake Ontario water though. Great Lakes aren't poison, but they're not exactly pristine clean either.
Sorry, I strongly disagree!

Lake Ontario water actually tastes good. Ever taste tap water that comes out of the Ohio River...just disgusting!

Lake Ontario is huge! Almost like a mini ocean. Of course the water in Lake Ontario is not pristine, but the sheer size of it and the water filtration system used to clean and filter the water makes it perfectly safe and good tasting drinking water.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Plus add an tap filter like Brita or Pur, and it's much better, I assume? Because I drink lots of water in exchange for unhealthy drinks.

ckthank, thanks for the names...will get to work right away.

P.S. What banks serve the area? Small or brand-name? Thinking of opening an account there and deposit some loot. I have Wachoiva and BofA in my area, and I have accounts with both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area