Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 17,510 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are relocating to syracuse and my 8 year old son is autistic. anyone have info on elementary schools, public or private that might be best? His condition is pretty severe (almost 9 and a lot of his skills are still at the 3-5 year old level) any help would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM

357 posts, read 968,051 times
One good thing about Syracuse is they are one of the best areas for children with special needs. They were actually one of the first places in the nation to provide inclusive education many years ago. Part of that is because Syracuse University has one of the most nationally recognized teacher training programs for Special Education. Let me list a couple of local websites for you.

CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America They would probably be the best people to direct you in this area and help make your search a little easier.

Exceptional Family Resources I believe this local organization helps families with educational questions.

Jowonio School This is top notch inclusive preschool in Syracuse, I know your child is 8 but I put it here so you can check out their links page. They list several local websites.

Syracuse University : School of Education : Undergraduate Studies : Inclusive Elementary and Special Education The Syracuse University site

Hope some of these sites are helpful in your search. Good Luck

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 17,510 times
Default thanks!

you've given me a great starting point.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Well, my daughter has special needs and we went through the North Syracuse school district, which is where I live. She's 3 and we went throught their Pre-K program. They helped diagnose some concerns we had and she gets the help she needs, while she is on a waiting list for a school like Jowonio. So, some districts might be good at getting the appropriate help your child needs. I think Bladwinsville is one that comes to mind. East Syracuse-Minoa might be another.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,202 times
What did you find for your son for schools. I too have an autistic child but is very high functioning and we are also relocating to the Syracuse area. Looking to have her in public school. Does a great job here in Vermont. Any one who visits the class says they would never know her diagnosis unless they asked or had individual one on one with her.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM

I've also heard that Ed Smith in the Syracuse City SD is good, as well as Jamesville-DeWitt, Liverpool and Onondaga Central are also good for special needs students. Check with the Jowonio School for further suggestions.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
My thoughts went to Jowonio immediately. Good luck and welcome to our community.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,397 times
Default Interview Request for any Syracuse parent with an autistic child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom868 View Post
Hi, we are relocating to syracuse and my 8 year old son is autistic. anyone have info on elementary schools, public or private that might be best? His condition is pretty severe (almost 9 and a lot of his skills are still at the 3-5 year old level) any help would be much appreciated!!!
Hi,

My name is Casey Garrow and I'm a current graduate student at SU who is doing a story regarding persons with autism and their families in the Syracuse area because starting Nov. 1 there will soon be more services for families from which to choose from and more insurance money to pay for them. I am looking to interview a parent for my story this Thursday if any one is willing to help out. The interview would only take about 10 minutes and I would happy to meet up with any parents who can express their feelings on this. I think it's a great story and I think it is important to spread awareness and for more services to be provided. My mother works with children with autism so this story is important to me, and I really hope to speak with any parent or family member who is interested. Thank you! My email is cagarrow@syr.edu if anyone at all can help out!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 20,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, some districts might be good at getting the appropriate help your child needs. I think Bladwinsville is one that comes to mind.
I have an autistic son and we live in the West Genesee School District. He attends a BOCES Program out of district. Many local districts utilize BOCES programs for their special needs students, some out of the home district, but within the county. There are various BOCES programs depending on the needs set up in various school districts. You could contact any local school district's special education department that you are interested in locating in, to get more info about what they offer and where they send some of their students. I would be careful about Baldwinsville however as I am friends with 2 families with autistic children who live in that district and they do not think very highly of their special ed dept. One family has decided to send their child out of district , while the other has decided to home school their child. I remember seeing news articles in the local paper in recent years where a teacher and aide were suspected of mistreating some of their special needs students, some who had autism in the Baldwinsville district.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts13209 View Post
I have an autistic son and we live in the West Genesee School District. He attends a BOCES Program out of district. Many local districts utilize BOCES programs for their special needs students, some out of the home district, but within the county. There are various BOCES programs depending on the needs set up in various school districts. You could contact any local school district's special education department that you are interested in locating in, to get more info about what they offer and where they send some of their students. I would be careful about Baldwinsville however as I am friends with 2 families with autistic children who live in that district and they do not think very highly of their special ed dept. One family has decided to send their child out of district , while the other has decided to home school their child. I remember seeing news articles in the local paper in recent years where a teacher and aide were suspected of mistreating some of their special needs students, some who had autism in the Baldwinsville district.
Thanks for the input on special ed. at Baldwinsville.

Does he attend the SKATE program? That is another option for children with autism. Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-05-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area