Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times

Advertisements

I apologize, in advance, for coming across so dubious but... I was born at St. Joseph's in the early 80's. I've lived in Eastwood, East Syracuse, the west side, Fabius-Pompey, Manlius, Cazenovia, Liverpool, Clay, and Dewitt. My life has been full of ups and downs, as any normal person's is, and I have to say that not once have I felt the doom and gloom attitude you seem to be forcing on us.

Syracuse is an ideal for me and I feel so fortunate to live here. You create your own opportunities and with a little luck, you'll succeed. This is a fantastic place to live and whining about how Syracuse has failed you (ha! as if a PLACE should owe us anything except for good roads, schools, and relative safety) is defeatist- no wonder you're so disappointed here. But- I assure that, with your current mindset, that disappointment will follow you everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 AM

92 posts, read 298,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Buffalo is depressing, to me. I even stopped going to Bills' games - though I would get free tickets through my employer - because the Thruway drive was depressing enough but then coming into Buffalo and seeing nothing but flat, industrial areas or generic neighborhoods was too much. I can only take so many split levels and gas stations before I want to rip my hair out. LOL

..., and I have to say that not once have I felt the doom and gloom attitude you seem to be forcing on us.

It's very contagious in Upstate NY for obvious reasons. I must of picked it up from you the last time I was in Manlius.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Oh my- you are so witty. <---sarcasm

Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno088 View Post
In the month of December sales of vehicles are always way down anyway, especially in Syracuse. I don't think that there is any way Onondaga County dealers sell $180 million worth of cars in the first 10 days of December.
Again, reading comprehension seems to be an issue for you. There is no single contributing factor, but many factors - simply put, car sales are undoubtedly down over the usual gloomy December sales.

Quote:
According to your Realtors in Upstate, CNY has not had the property value of their homes plummet like the rest of the country (because they never went up they never went down). The main cause of people tightening their spending belts. So Central New Yorker's haven't yet changed their spending habits.
Bull spit. You may have noticed the announcement of Syracuse China closing in March, the closure of retail chains, the consolidation of domestic car dealers, etc. - the job market is tight, and unemployment is rising (as was inflation, until the recent plummet of gas prices). People are worried... and certainly changing their spending habits.

Quote:
Again, with the gas cap in place last year, gas is not a factor.
Again, bzzzzzzzzzzzt wrong. It's a _minor_ factor, but it's not not a factor. The current average price of gas in Syracuse is $1.839, and goes as low as $1.599 up in Cicero. Which accounts for 5-7 cents a gallon on average, not the 8 under the cap (which worked so abysmally poorly that who knows if it had any effect on gas prices at all).

Quote:
Come on man admit it. Upstate NY has been in recession since the early 1980's. The only way anyone can explain a 2 million dollar sales tax loss in only 10 days, is a loss of population.
I think I've thoroughly refuted that nonsense argument. Two or three times now.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
Troll. (Trol) Last modified: Wednesday, April 16, 2003. (v.) (1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum, chat room, ...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 PM

109 posts, read 407,911 times
I was just browsing through the Albany forums and then I bounced into this one to see how things are in NY. Horrible I see! Face it people, your elected officials have finally found a way to make people actually want to leave New York!

As much as I miss my family in Utica/Sryacuse/Albany area life here in Indiana is so much better. My electric bill is 1/3 what it was in NY. For what I was renting for in Albany I'm living in the lap of luxury.

But when the state finally finds a way to put an excise tax on iTunes downloads there is something gone horribly amuck!

I feel for you all! Other then some great scenery and landscape .. NY has nothing to offer anymore!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Quote:
Come on man admit it. Upstate NY has been in recession since the early 1980's. The only way anyone can explain a 2 million dollar sales tax loss in only 10 days, is a loss of population.

Hear hear ! I live in Oneida County and cannot believe the lack of quality of life here. Sales tax here is something like 9.1/4%, property taxes are through the roof, and National Grid has a monopoly on the natural gas and electric market, so they charge whatever they want.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Last December there was a cap in place on sales tax on gas. It caped the sales tax at 8 cents. Equivalent to what is collected with today's prices. As far as big ticket items go, lower price = a few more sales to equal out the difference from last years higher prices.

The census numbers are just an estimate so they could be way off. Only 2010 will give us an accurate number. I could get into why the current census numbers still support my theory but a lot of Upstate New York diehards will start calling me names again. As you see they are already adding their uninformative posts on this thread. I also believe that when the 2010 census comes out it will make national news about the devastating loss in population from Upstate.
Man....this is pretty pathetic. Just FYI for all of you Syracusians, your threads aren't the only ones being trolled by this guy. He also spews his crap in the Rochester and Buffalo forums. Its pretty lame. He doesn't even live in NY anymore yet still feels the need to come onto this forum and tell us how bad it is and how if we were smart we'd all leave. Give me a break. Making your own opinion that NYS is "unliveable" and the only smart thing to do is move away a "fact" is ridiculous and shows a great level of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area