U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 PM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Out of these neighbrohoods, which ones would you tell to avoid and which ones would you say are fine or OK?

Say specific neighborhoods too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
(This is my overall opinion of each, not JUST a reflection on the safeness of the neighborhood.)

Avoid:
Skunk City
Near West Side
West Side
Lakefront
Washington Square
Near Northeast
Near East Side
Lincoln Park
Southwest
Brighton
Elmwood
North Valley

Eh- I guess it's okay:
Strathmore
South Valley
Far West Side
Northside
Sedgewick
University Hill <--- this is VERY near avoid though.
University Neighborhood

Fine:
Eastwood
Westcott
Outer Comstock
Skytop
Meadowbrook
Salt Springs

Downtown is a hit or miss. I can't say. And for the east side/Westcott/Salt Springs/University Hill areas... I'd say it's okay or fine south of (above) East Genesee Street and Salt Springs until you get to Lemoyne and east of that it's ALL fine. My own opinion, again.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
(This is my overall opinion of each, not JUST a reflection on the safeness of the neighborhood.)

Avoid:
Skunk City
Near West Side
West Side
Lakefront
Washington Square
Near Northeast
Near East Side
Lincoln Park
Southwest
Brighton
Elmwood
North Valley

Eh- I guess it's okay:
Strathmore
South Valley
Far West Side
Northside
Sedgewick
University Hill <--- this is VERY near avoid though.
University Neighborhood

Fine:
Eastwood
Westcott
Outer Comstock
Skytop
Meadowbrook
Salt Springs

Downtown is a hit or miss. I can't say. And for the east side/Westcott/Salt Springs/University Hill areas... I'd say it's okay or fine south of (above) East Genesee Street and Salt Springs until you get to Lemoyne and east of that it's ALL fine. My own opinion, again.
Sounds about right to me too. I think the University Hill is pretty much the University and the Hospitals, with maybe a few apartments. I don't think it includes say the Bricks or anything in that area. I would also say the Northside, especially north of Grant Boulevard is actually fine. I drive down Wadsworth from work late at night and it is still pretty nice around Webster Elementary all the way down to LeMoyne Elementary. Sedgwick might also be in the fine category. You hardly ever hear anything about that area at all. I can see why you said OK due to the Near Northeast side being close by. Elmwood is OK if you go up the hill, but again down the hill becomes more and more iffy going down South Ave. Same with the North Valley going further into the Valley, but the sides of that part of the Valley are OK.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,697,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Out of these neighbrohoods, which ones would you tell to avoid and which ones would you say are fine or OK?

Say specific neighborhoods too.
Particularly good:

Far Westside (mostly - Tipp Hill area, some fringe)
South Valley (south of Seneca Turnpike or west of Valley Drive, near the Onondaga town border)
University, Skytop, Meadowbrook, Westcott - all good.
Salt Springs
Sedgwick (be prepared to pay out the nose for it)

Decent:

Downtown - depending on the area. Some outer ring complexes - not so good. Newer redevelopment - generally amazing.

Eastwood (some parts meh, some parts really good, particularly on the western end closer to Sedgwick and the Shotwell Park area)

Strathmore (some very nice homes, some not so nice. Depends on the street.)

Outer Comstock (most of it's good)

Elmwood - hit or miss. Beautiful park there.

North Valley - the western fringes, like Elmwood, are better than the eastern half generally. Stuff right around S. Salina not so good.

Avoid:

Largely the S. Salina corridor, although there are pockets of good. This includes Southwest, Brighton, and the eastern half of North Valley.

Near Westside - anything south of Fayette/Erie is probably not a very good idea. North of those is hit or miss.

Washington Square - the square itself is kind of nice. Most of the surrounding area, and large swaths of the north side (Lincoln Park, Near Northeast, Northside as well) are very block-by-block - some wonderful parts (particularly closer the the northern edges of Northside) but largely hit or miss.

Skunk City - there are nice quiet pieces, but overall pretty run down. Closer to Tipp Hill generally the better, or at least the further you get from the Geddes end.

Near Eastside (basically north of E. Genesee and south of Erie Blvd) - several cruddy complexes. Some bright spots near the southern fringe, but largely in need of help.

---

I wouldn't really rate what it considers Lakefront, as there's not much housing stock in that area. Mostly industrial + Carousel Center, with a few scattered little neighborhoods on the fringe.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Particularly good:

Far Westside (mostly - Tipp Hill area, some fringe)
South Valley (south of Seneca Turnpike or west of Valley Drive, near the Onondaga town border)
University, Skytop, Meadowbrook, Westcott - all good.
Salt Springs
Sedgwick (be prepared to pay out the nose for it)

Decent:

Downtown - depending on the area. Some outer ring complexes - not so good. Newer redevelopment - generally amazing.

Eastwood (some parts meh, some parts really good, particularly on the western end closer to Sedgwick and the Shotwell Park area)

Strathmore (some very nice homes, some not so nice. Depends on the street.)

Outer Comstock (most of it's good)

Elmwood - hit or miss. Beautiful park there.

North Valley - the western fringes, like Elmwood, are better than the eastern half generally. Stuff right around S. Salina not so good.

Avoid:

Largely the S. Salina corridor, although there are pockets of good. This includes Southwest, Brighton, and the eastern half of North Valley.

Near Westside - anything south of Fayette/Erie is probably not a very good idea. North of those is hit or miss.

Washington Square - the square itself is kind of nice. Most of the surrounding area, and large swaths of the north side (Lincoln Park, Near Northeast, Northside as well) are very block-by-block - some wonderful parts (particularly closer the the northern edges of Northside) but largely hit or miss.

Skunk City - there are nice quiet pieces, but overall pretty run down. Closer to Tipp Hill generally the better, or at least the further you get from the Geddes end.

Near Eastside (basically north of E. Genesee and south of Erie Blvd) - several cruddy complexes. Some bright spots near the southern fringe, but largely in need of help.

---

I wouldn't really rate what it considers Lakefront, as there's not much housing stock in that area. Mostly industrial + Carousel Center, with a few scattered little neighborhoods on the fringe.
Yeah, that is pretty good assessment I would say too. That's the thing about our more "hood" neighborhoods. They are hit or miss, for the most part. I think the only area I might give a bit more love to is the North Valley behind Valley Plaza and arouind Loretto is still decent.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,186,412 times
Avoid:
Near West Side
Washington Square
Near Northeast
Near East Side
Lincoln Park
Southwest
Brighton
Elmwood
North Valley

On the depressing side:
Skunk City
West Side
Lakefront
Far West Side

Alright:
University Hill
Strathmore
South Valley
Northside
University Neighborhood
Eastwood
Westcott
Outer Comstock
Downtown

Least Depressing:
Skytop
Meadowbrook
Salt Springs
Sedgewick

The only neighborhood of the city I really like is the one near Christ the King Retreat House.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Avoid:
Near West Side
Washington Square
Near Northeast
Near East Side
Lincoln Park
Southwest
Brighton
Elmwood
North Valley

On the depressing side:
Skunk City
West Side
Lakefront
Far West Side

Alright:
University Hill
Strathmore
South Valley
Northside
University Neighborhood
Eastwood
Westcott
Outer Comstock
Downtown

Least Depressing:
Skytop
Meadowbrook
Salt Springs
Sedgewick

The only neighborhood of the city I really like is the one near Christ the King Retreat House.
That is the Meadowbrook neighborhood. I think the development is called Bradford Heights or Hills and some of it goes into DeWitt. That area behind Nottingham High is pretty much like a suburb in the city. That's my favorite city neighborhood overall too. I also like the Scottholm part of that neighborhood too. Very "diverse", well kept, safe and in a good location.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

85 posts, read 251,221 times
"Downtown is a hit or miss. I can't say. And for the east side/Westcott/Salt Springs/University Hill areas... I'd say it's okay or fine south of (above) East Genesee Street and Salt Springs until you get to Lemoyne and east of that it's ALL fine. My own opinion, again."

Please could you explain the above. South of East Genesee -- or north (above?) . Which direction is OK?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
The area I'm referring to is on a hill... south of East Genesee St., there, is the top of the hill. North of E. Genesee St. is lower on the hill.

If you're driving east>west- the left side (south) heads uphill and the right side (north) heads downhill. South of East Genesee Street is fine.

I described it that way for people who aren't familiar to the area... so they could pull out a standard map (presumably not also topographical lol) and check out addresses for different prospective rentals.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM

85 posts, read 251,221 times
Ah. That is very clear. Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area