Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1147.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1244

Name:	100_1153.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1245

Name:	100_1160.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1246
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Default And this

There is alway scenery, a dramatic sky, a rolling green farm or a beautiful lake or river

Name:	000_0518.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1247

Name:	000_0527.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1248

Name:	100_1164.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1249

Last edited by Glen NY; 02-12-2007 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: fix pics

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,378 times
Great pics Glen.........I can't wait to get back up there from Florida. This heat is way too much for me also. Just looking at those pics makes me want to leave now. Is that Otisco Lake by chance?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Yes Cuse, it is Otisco

Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 48,693 times
Im fairly new to the area, I moved here from NJ. I did my majority of visiting here during the summer; I really liked it, just real nice and beautiful. I moved up here and within a few months I just started getting disappointed. A lot of people look so upset all the time, and the weather is miserable. Ive never seen so much snow! lol i also got asked by a lot of people why I moved up here; I thought that was a bit strange.

Im young, so I want a city full of life and happiness. I dont feel it here though. Thats why instead of being a complainer I am going to move down to Florida in a few months; better environment for me, and more sunny days which I enjoy.

So I am not bashing Syracuse, its just not a city for everyone. It has its beautiful days, but for me, not enough.

I hope the city does start rising up, I think it deserves good and my props to the natives who are able to deal with the snow, you guys are tough cookies.

I remember a taxi driver told me this when I was visiting here; "if you like snow sports, hunting, etc. the place will fit you well. If not, I dont know if itll be right for you."

Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
I know what you mean by you "want a city full of life and happiness". I do too. That's why I want this area to boom. I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s, the Syracuse suburbs were growing at a fast clip and people from all around the country were moving here. Syracuse felt alive and there was a buzz here. But by the mid-90s the bottom fell out and thousands of lay-offs happened. Tens of thousands of people left the area from 1993 to today. Syracuse still hasn't gotten out of that "woe is me" stage where it seems like the economy will never be good again.

I really hope Gov. Spitzer can bring that mini-boom back to the Syracuse area. Since there are tens of thousands of former Syracusans that say "if the economy would get better, I'd move back to Syracuse in a heartbeat", then this area could grow just from the ex-pats who moved away. I'd love for others to move here too, but really all we need is people from the rural areas of Upstate to move here and the ex-Syracusans who are waiting for the economy to get better.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but can I ask you which suburb you lived in? I'm trying to get a feel for which areas people like most in the Syracuse area.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I don't do winter sports anymore. I did when the kids were little. Now I try to go to Fl if possible in the RV, or spend time in NYC. It's the rest of the year I live for here.

Gardens in the spring, sailing and swimming in the summer, and fall weekend trips around the state and into Canada's cities. The summer is absolutely frentic with activitiy: concerts, festivals, road ralleyes, wine tours. Cultural events like the symphony and ballroom dancing in the winter, or catch up on reading.

Upstater's seem to have an underappreciation for what they have. My son moved to South Beach as he thought that was the 'hot' place to be. He hates it!

Bella, I don't know if the rural folks will move to Syr unless they need to for work. I know you're not going to get me off the water. Ninety percent of the time I'm not more than a block away from either the river, the falls, or the lake. Because it's my nearest larger city I'm putting in a lot of effort to push progress in Syracuse. I can be pretty convincing too and have several ideas adopted already. I'd welcome people from most anywhere who're ready to help kick start things.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-13-2007 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
who

8 posts, read 23,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverswift View Post
Im fairly new to the area, I moved here from NJ. I did my majority of visiting here during the summer; I really liked it, just real nice and beautiful. I moved up here and within a few months I just started getting disappointed. A lot of people look so upset all the time, and the weather is miserable. Ive never seen so much snow! lol i also got asked by a lot of people why I moved up here; I thought that was a bit strange.

Im young, so I want a city full of life and happiness. I dont feel it here though. Thats why instead of being a complainer I am going to move down to Florida in a few months; better environment for me, and more sunny days which I enjoy.

So I am not bashing Syracuse, its just not a city for everyone. It has its beautiful days, but for me, not enough.

I hope the city does start rising up, I think it deserves good and my props to the natives who are able to deal with the snow, you guys are tough cookies.

I remember a taxi driver told me this when I was visiting here; "if you like snow sports, hunting, etc. the place will fit you well. If not, I dont know if itll be right for you."
For a minute there, Bellafinzi, Goldie and Glen had me wondering if I was off my rocker. With your response, I feel like there is order in the universe again. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I dealt with a lot colder weather than Syracuse ever offered--ever have the water in your eyes start to freeze up, causing your eyelashes to lock?--but the gray skies, generally unhappy people, and the bad economy were just too much.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:39 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Thanks "silverswift" and "who" for reconfirming something for me. I've always suspected that this was true. Transplants who move to the City don't like it here, but most transplants that move to the Syracuse suburbs do like it here.

That's one of the main reasons why I never suggest someone move to the city, but do promote the suburbs. Overall the city is home to the worst people in the region. This has nothing to do with race. I live across the street from a very nice black family here in the suburbs of Syracuse. But the City is overwhelming populated with "white trash", "ghetto bangers", "budda blue collar dude" people who don't know anything but their city neighborhood where they lived all their life, and then annoying college kids from downstate who make fun of Syracuse every chance they get. Then there is the small percentage of immigrants from Vietnam, Sudan and the Latino community, and then a small gay community, and young professionals who live near the city center.

So in conclusion, I believe Syracuse has hope. Why? Because if the economy gets better, people will be happier. Then the only real negative will be the weather. But people put up with bad weather in Montreal (over 95 inches of snow each year) Portland, OR (very cloudy and overcast) among other cities.

Hey Spitzer, please help improve the Upstate NY economy. You are our last hope. Otherwise I believe Syracuse and Western NY should try to join Canada. Then we (Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo) would be the warmest cities in eastern Canada and people would migrate here from cities like Ottawa and Quebec City(gets more snow than Syracuse), both of which are much colder than Syracuse.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 PM

You'll find negativity all over the place. We do find people who say "why in the hell would you want to move here" but the reality of it is every body I know loves it here and have no desire to be anywhere else. I hate to bash Long Island, because it is my original home and there are some good things about it. But let me tell you this. When we began to tell people we were thinking of leaving Long Island, friends, family, neighbors and strangers almost always told us to run like the wind. If you can go than GO, get out of this place. You would have thought we were in Iraq. Many people looked at us with envy. Some people just can't leave and there is a strong economy there. We've had some problem adjusting with the kids up here and gave thought to going back. You won't believe the response from our friend in NY and Long Island. They all grab me to the side and tell me absolutely positively coming back to Long Island is the wrong move. The point is there is pros and con in all places, here is mostly pros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area