Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM

252 posts, read 343,538 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

When is the best time to put snow tires on your car in preparation for winter? Some people have told me at the end of October? is that true? or should I put it on right when it begins to snow? How long will snow tires last? I do alot of driving for work and I just want to make sure tires last all winter...I've never had to put snow tires on before because I lived in california and I just moved here about a month ago...

Is there a certain type of snow tire to get? brand? tread pattern? I did some reading and some say a "studded" or non studded tire? or something like that....?

Any advice & tips would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM

91,994 posts, read 122,078,964 times
You could get away with all season/weather tires, but for the sake of the thread, I'd say that to look to put snow tires on around mid/late November.

Get a set of tires and store them after the winter and they should last for a few years. That will depend on how much driving you will be doing.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could get away with all season/weather tires, but for the sake of the thread, I'd say that to look to put snow tires on around mid/late November.

Get a set of tires and store them after the winter and they should last for a few years. That will depend on how much driving you will be doing.
I can get through winter with all seasons? Keep in mind, I drive ALOT for work...and when I say alot...i mean pretty much from Buffalo up north to Champlain NY, through lake placid/adirondacks, down to the edge of NYC. I know some of those areas are pretty bad with snow and I was told all seasons wouldn't be ideal. Some told me that snow tires are a must have....

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I can get through ANY part of NY in the dead of winter...then let me know because i'll be more then happy that I can save money on tires haha.

I live in syracuse to i'll be traveling...all over the state.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
I can get through winter with all seasons? Keep in mind, I drive ALOT for work...and when I say alot...i mean pretty much from Buffalo up north to Champlain NY, through lake placid/adirondacks, down to the edge of NYC. I know some of those areas are pretty bad with snow and I was told all seasons wouldn't be ideal. Some told me that snow tires are a must have....

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I can get through ANY part of NY in the dead of winter...then let me know because i'll be more then happy that I can save money on tires haha.

I live in syracuse to i'll be traveling...all over the state.
Given that this is your first winter, I would get the snow tires. Especially if you are going to drive a lot and essentially all over Upstate NY.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,789,052 times
What kind of drive does your vehicle have? AWD, 4x4, FWD, RWD? All wheel or 4 wheel you will be fine with a good set of all weather tires. I wouldn't consider snow tires a MUST for all wheel/4 wheel, but they wouldn't hurt if you don't mind spending the money. Front wheel I'd recommend a set of snow tires given how much you claim to drive. If rear wheel I'd recommend buying a second vehicle.

As for which tires, Bridgestone Blizzack seem to be the industry standard but I'm sure there are plenty of other good tires.

As for time, I wouldn't bother putting them on before early/mid November.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
What kind of drive does your vehicle have? AWD, 4x4, FWD, RWD? All wheel or 4 wheel you will be fine with a good set of all weather tires. I wouldn't consider snow tires a MUST for all wheel/4 wheel, but they wouldn't hurt if you don't mind spending the money. Front wheel I'd recommend a set of snow tires given how much you claim to drive. . [BIf rear wheel I'd recommend buying a second vehicle][/b]

As for which tires, Bridgestone Blizzack seem to be the industry standard but I'm sure there are plenty of other good tires.

Thats one of the funniest ways I've ever seen it put.

I've heard those special snow tires don't last long mileage wise and with alot of driving I would think it could get spendy.

If you need to be in a certain place at a certain time and weather is not an excuse I wouldn't even attempt this without a 4x4.

Snow can be very time dependent. On a stormy morning I leave with my big four wheel drive truck with very aggressive snow tires and many mornings I can barely get to work. Two hours later my wife makes the same drive in a little two wheel drive car with regular tires with zero effort. Its all a matter if your ahead of the plow or behind it.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
What kind of drive does your vehicle have? AWD, 4x4, FWD, RWD? All wheel or 4 wheel you will be fine with a good set of all weather tires. I wouldn't consider snow tires a MUST for all wheel/4 wheel, but they wouldn't hurt if you don't mind spending the money. Front wheel I'd recommend a set of snow tires given how much you claim to drive. If rear wheel I'd recommend buying a second vehicle.

My vehicle is a Nissan altima, front wheel drive car.

Thanks for the tip on the tires and timing of when to put it on.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Thats one of the funniest ways I've ever seen it put.

I've heard those special snow tires don't last long mileage wise and with alot of driving I would think it could get spendy.

If you need to be in a certain place at a certain time and weather is not an excuse I wouldn't even attempt this without a 4x4.

Snow can be very time dependent. On a stormy morning I leave with my big four wheel drive truck with very aggressive snow tires and many mornings I can barely get to work. Two hours later my wife makes the same drive in a little two wheel drive car with regular tires with zero effort. Its all a matter if your ahead of the plow or behind it.
Thanks for the info. so ideally it's best to go AFTER the roads have been plowed? I guess it'll depend on what my schedule is and where i'll have to be, etc.

So just for my information, if I'm on the road and the roads are just bad, do I just pull over and wait for a plow to come by and just follow it? or is it not ideal to follow a snow plow?

Old 09-17-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. so ideally it's best to go AFTER the roads have been plowed? I guess it'll depend on what my schedule is and where i'll have to be, etc.

So just for my information, if I'm on the road and the roads are just bad, do I just pull over and wait for a plow to come by and just follow it? or is it not ideal to follow a snow plow?
Keep in mind that if you are going to be on the Thruway a lot, they have their own Thruway Authority, which is generally good at keeping I-90 plowed.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,331 times
Quote:

Like everything in life snow removal comes down to money.

The state has unlimited money so state roads are generally pretty good. The Thruway is almost always open and state roads, for me 5, 46 and 365, and mostly open.

The cities and towns are where the drama comes in. I work in Oneida and they are good but many others are terrible.

The worst are the larger cities like Utica and Syracuse. I avoid them both if even a whiff of snow is in the forecast but sometimes it can't be helped. Those cities are broke and they basicly just wait for Spring from what I've seen. This of coarse doesn't count the state roads.

The gold standard of coarse is the rich suburbs. Fayetteville and New Hartford are no harder to drive in February then they are in July.

Lake Placid is a rugged bit of road. Lot of skiers so I'm sure they try but thats a Subaru road I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area