U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 19,035 times

Advertisements

hello all...
my fiance and I are moving to Syracuse this may because he got a job out there with Sensis. I am looking for an apartment! I really love all the downtown apartments I've seen, but are they worth the money? Are they safe?
I am also looking at the greenway place on Hawley Avenue which I heard is a cool part of the city to live. Is it too far to walk to the city from there? How is the neighborhood.

We are a young couple and like to go out and take advantage of the city while we are still young! Please I need advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM

50,687 posts, read 72,754,238 times
Welcome....Greenway Place isn't far from Downtown at all. That is in the Hawley-Green part of the Near Northeast side. It's changed a bit and isn't too bad. You are close to St. Joseph's Hospital and not too far from Syracuse University too.

You might like parts of the city like Eastwood, Westcott/University, Tipperary Hill in the Far West side and Downtown.

Here's some places to look for apartments and more info.:Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

syracuse apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Downtown Syracuse

Downtown Syracuse

Hawley-Green

Hawley-Green Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Rebirth of Hawley-Green: A once rundown neighborhood gets a massive dose of TLC | Syracuse: Live it. Love it. It's All Here!

Syracuse Rent Faculty (Non-Student)

City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent - Home Rentals in New York - syracuse.com

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Syracuse Neighborhood Information + Homes For Sale | CNYREALTOR.COM

Downtown Syracuse Development Showcase | Recently Completed Project Details&#

I hope this helps

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-18-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 AM

161 posts, read 309,775 times
My friends who still live in the area (mid 20s age) mostly live in Eastwood and Tipp Hill. I'd also put forward downtown if you're new to the area; its definitely expensive but its close to the main social scene and where a lot of transplants seem to live. A friend of mine from college who moved to Syracuse to teach at SU lives in Armory Square and seems to be really enjoying himself. Tipp Hill also has its own younger social scene at the Irish bars in the neighborhood, centered around Coleman's. The standard housing around there and Eastwood are 1-up 1-down houses with 2- 2 bed apts. A lot of them are pretty nicely renovated inside, but may look run down outside. Maybe find something short term until you have a better sense of the area? In may the college kids will be leaving so it should be easy to find a summer sublet.

Eastwood is closer to DeWitt, where Sensis is. My advice is mostly second hand from people I know in town, I don't live there anymore (grew up there) but may move back soon. It can be a fun city, and its well located... but that said its not always easy to find stuff to do. It can be as good or bad as you want it to be, and sometimes you have to work to find places. Try out the Dinosaur BBQ and Awful Al's bar downtown, and theres a Vietnamese restaurant called Mai Lan that I really liked to eat at, its by St. Joe's.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,733,723 times
Wescott/University would be where I'd move, in your position... I'm a bit "crunchy" though so the secondhand retro clothing store(Boom Babies), the Syracuse Co-op, Seven Rays bookstore, the Westcott cinema and community center, the street fairs and farmers' markets, and the proximity of a wide range of events at Syracuse University is very appealing to me. Not to mention that there are all kinds of people living up there together... professors, fun-loving (rowdy, to some) student housing, old and young families, flats of friends living together, cranky old ladies... LOL. There's almost always something going on in that area, no matter your cultural preferences, which is especially helpful when you find a lull in activities in the rest of the area. <---though I rarely come across such lulls. The key, I believe, to a full social character is getting outside in ALL weather. There's just as much to do in winter as summer. *edited to add, I meant "calendar" and not character... but it works. LOL - it's something of a Freudian slip, I think.

Other areas I would look into are Tipperary Hill (most commonly called Tipp Hill), Liverpool (pretty much a straight shot along the Onondaga Lake shoreline into downtown), and the Dewitt side of the city of Syracuse (more expensive than Westcott but close to it all still... it's more upscale and suburban.) I would only recommend Eastwood if you have a network there. It's not somewhere *I* would want to move to unless I already had a group of friends there - it's not very hip on its own... you need friends to make it a great place to live or you may feel isolated. In my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary. LOL

Good luck on the home search!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,932,177 times
Welcome to Syracuse and Central New York! Thanks to an excellent highway system and minimal traffic, you can live virtually anywhere within the city and be within 15 to 20 minutes of Sensis Corporation. In addition to the choices mentioned by the other posters, I would review this website: http://syracuse.apartmentfinder.com for apartment options in the city and suburbs.

For a slightly more affordable alternative to downtown living, I would look into Franklin Square just northwest of downtown. Franklin Square rents vary from just over $800 for a 1 bedroom at "The Lofts at Franklin Square" to about $1400 for a 2 bedroom unit at Lakefront Lofts. Formerly a warehouse and manufacturing district, Franklin Square has undergone a renaissance in the last decade with many of its industrial buildings being converted to loft apartments and condos featuring 11 foot ceilings, high-end finishes, and secured parking. Several prominent local companies formerly based downtown and in the suburbs including financial services, accounting, advertising/PR and law firms have relocated to Franklin Square in recent years. This neighborhood has attracted a healthy number of professionals relocating to Greater Syracuse. Spaghetti Warehouse, a popular Italian restaurant anchors the ground floor of a former piano factory in the northern most end of the square. The upper floors of this building are being converted to 1 and 2 bedroom luxury apartments featuring granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and underground parking. Here is the website for "Lakefront Lofts" www.lakefront-lofts.com . The area surrounding this development is still somewhat industrial as it is further away from downtown than other district properties like the "Lofts at Franklin Square". Another former factory adjacent to Lakefront Lofts is slated for conversion into 80+ apartment units shortly.

Major services such as banking, shopping, and dining are a 5 minute walk to downtown Syracuse. For additional retail including a full service supermarket and a 170 store shopping mall, Franklin Square offers easy access to Interstates 690 and 81.

If you prefer living directly downtown, the most affordable newly renovated apartments are "The Lofts on Willow" (230 W. Willow St) which have starting rents of about $700 for 1 bedroom units. This property is located directly adjacent to Syracuse's famous Dinosaur Barbeque restaurant. About 1 1/2 blocks north and just outside of downtown is Nettleton Commons (www.nettletoncommons.com at 313 E Willow Street. Units in this converted shoe factory offer exposed brick and high ceilings and rent for approximately $600+ for a 1 bedroom. This neighborhood like Greenway Place is more transitional and parking options may not be as ideal. That being said, as Ckthankgod alluded to earlier, the neighborhood is on the upswing.

When searching on the Syracuse Apartment Finder website, the following zip codes represent our recommended neighborhoods:

13203 - Hawley Green, Nettleton Commons, Greenway Place
13202 - Downtown (Lofts on Willow); also includes downtown neighborhoods of Armory and Hanover squares
13204 - Franklin Square (Lofts at Franklin Square / Lakefront Lofts) / Tipperary Hill
13206 - Eastwood
13210 - Westcott and immediate University Hill area

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-19-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Great idea about the zip codes, Royce! To add to that, the Dewitt side of Syracuse and Dewitt itself are codes 13224 and 13214.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 AM

161 posts, read 309,775 times
Great info!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,932,177 times
While pricey, another potential option is The Bradford. This property on Syracuse's far east side straddles the DeWitt line and is located in a very desirable, albeit more suburban neighborhood. According to the complex's website, www.bradfordsyracuse.com rents for 1 bedroom units start at $1500. This is abnormally high for a 1 bedroom in CNY, however the units look well appointed. One of the benefits of this location is the proximity to the on-ramp of I-481, which is about 2 minutes east with a total commute of no more than 12 minutes to Sensis (not withstanding traffic, which as stated earlier is very minimal). Although Bradford Hills may not be considered "hip" or "urban", I thought I'd throw this out as another option within the city limits.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
While pricey, another potential option is The Bradford. This property on Syracuse's far east side straddles the DeWitt line and is located in a very desirable, albeit more suburban neighborhood. According to the complex's website, www.bradfordsyracuse.com rents for 1 bedroom units start at $1500. This is abnormally high for a 1 bedroom in CNY, however the units look well appointed. One of the benefits of this location is the proximity to the on-ramp of I-481, which is about 2 minutes east with a total commute of no more than 12 minutes to Sensis (not withstanding traffic, which as stated earlier is very minimal). Although Bradford Hills may not be considered "hip" or "urban", I thought I'd throw this out as another option within the city limits.
Hilarious that you posted that, RollsRoyce! I used to live across the street, in the house attached to the main/original Coleman's Florist at 4000 East Genesee Street. The property line of The Bradford (which was vacant and starting to fall apart just a few years ago) is literally the City of Syracuse/Town of Dewitt line. You can use Syracuse and Dewitt interchangeably for both Town and City services, which is PARTICULARLY helpful if you want to send your children to Jamesville-Dewitt schools instead of Notthingham.

Beautiful area and walkable to everything, including Shoppingtown Mall and grocery stores. Two synagogues and Menorah Park are practically next door, as is Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church and St. Mary's Cemetery, which is a GORGEOUS walk in any weather. There are some very old headstones there and it goes far up the hill, almost to CBA on the other side. My husband and I would have never moved from there if we hadn't grown out of our apartment.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 PM

50,687 posts, read 72,754,238 times
I forgot about Nettleton Commons. That's close to Downtown and in the Little Italy area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or