Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Here's some information on the neighborhoods in the city of Syracuse. They are located in the middle of the page:http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/sub409.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Sedgwick has great demographics. The median household income of $92,000 puts it on par with many communities in the eastern suburbs.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Sedgwick has great demographics. The median household income of $92,000 puts it on par with many communities in the eastern suburbs.
Exactly! People seem to forget that some of the most affluent neighborhoods are within the city limits, not just the suburbs. I would think that Meadowbrook, South Valley and Northside are up there too. Actually, I think there are only a few suburban areas with a higher median household income higher than that of Sedgwick.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Default Upscale Enclaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly! People seem to forget that some of the most affluent neighborhoods are within the city limits, not just the suburbs. I would think that Meadowbrook, South Valley and Northside are up there too. Actually, I think there are only a few suburban areas with a higher median household income higher than that of Sedgwick.
I reviewed the demographics of neighborhoods like Strathmore, Meadowbrook, and Sedgwick and found that many enclaves within these broader neighborhoods had populations that were very similar to the eastern suburbs. For an example, certain sections of Strathmore had median household incomes in excess of $80,000 (compared to $28,500 citywide), poverty rates of under 5% (compared to 30.5% citywide) and at least 50% of residents having a bachelor's degree or higher (more than 2x the citywide average). Several portions of Meadowbrook in the Bradford Hills section had a median household income of $102,000 with less than 3% of residents below the poverty level. Median incomes in some cases can be much lower than the average household income since there are a healthy number of retirees in these neighborhoods which can significantly widen the disparity between the highest and lowest incomes. For the most part these demographics are very similar to the suburban Fayetteville, Manlius and Jamesville zip codes. Although a sizable component of the higher income and education levels in Syracuse's Meadowbrook area can be attributed to the large presence of SU, ESF, and SUNY Upstate faculty, other neighborhoods like Strathmore and Sedgwick have far less of a university presence due to their outward locations from the "Hill" and must have attracted or retained a sizable amount of other professionals to account for the demographics.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-26-2009 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I reviewed the demographics of neighborhoods like Strathmore, Meadowbrook, and Sedgwick and found that many enclaves within these broader neighborhoods had populations that were very similar to the eastern suburbs. For an example, certain sections of Strathmore had median household incomes in excess of $80,000 (compared to $28,500 citywide), poverty rates of under 5% (compared to 30.5% citywide) and at least 50% of residents having a bachelor's degree or higher (more than 2x the citywide average). Several portions of Meadowbrook in the Bradford Hills section had a median household income of $102,000 with less than 3% of residents below the poverty level. Median incomes in some cases can be much lower than the average household income since there are a healthy number of retirees in these neighborhoods which can significantly widen the disparity between the highest and lowest incomes. For the most part these demographics are very similar to the suburban Fayetteville, Manlius and Jamesville zip codes. Although a sizable component of the higher income and education levels in Syracuse's Meadowbrook area can be attributed to the large presence of SU, ESF, and SUNY Upstate faculty, other neighborhoods like Strathmore and Sedgwick have far less of a university presence due to their outward locations from the "Hill" and must have attracted or retained a sizable amount of other professionals to account for the demographics.
Correct, but people seem to focus on the poverty or the rougher parts of the city. Yes, things can be better and improved in some of the neighborhoods in the city, but people would be surprised about how many Syracuse neighborhoods rival suburban areas.

Another one that really bucks the trend in the Mountainview Avenue part of the Salt Springs neighborhood. It is 60% Black, but has a poverty rate for families that is only around 8% and 12% for individuals. It median family income is around 47,000, but that is partially due to the apartment complexes in that area and is pretty comparable to suburbs like Mattydale, Solvay, Nedrow and the like.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Correct, but people seem to focus on the poverty or the rougher parts of the city. Yes, things can be better and improved in some of the neighborhoods in the city, but people would be surprised about how many Syracuse neighborhoods rival suburban areas.

Another one that really bucks the trend in the Mountainview Avenue part of the Salt Springs neighborhood. It is 60% Black, but has a poverty rate for families that is only around 8% and 12% for individuals. It median family income is around 47,000, but that is partially due to the apartment complexes in that area and is pretty comparable to suburbs like Mattydale, Solvay, Nedrow and the like.

I think alot of people perceive the city to be of lower income/ghettoish (lack of a better term) generally because those sections are more or less surrounded by what most people perceive the city to be, and many try to, when having to go into the city, do what needs to be done and get out as quickly as possible.

I know I try to avoid certain sections at all costs, especially at night. A good reason and example of this, 2 weeks ago I was on my way back from a service call (I own a computer repair co.), it was around 8:30ish, I was driving in the northside, roughly around Dale St, and I went by a house were a group of people were standing, and a couple of them started throwing their 1/2 empty beer cans at my truck--no I do not know the reason why, perhaps they hoped I would stop and confront them so they could rob me--I dont know, and I am not stupid enough to do that anyways but after that, and seeing some of things that go on in broad daylight on those streets I avoid the city

Last edited by jrice; 03-26-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 11:57 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I think alot of people perceive the city to be of lower income/ghettoish (lack of a better term) generally because those sections are more or less surrounded by what most people perceive the city to be, and many try to, when having to go into the city, do what needs to be done and get out as quickly as possible.

I know I try to avoid certain sections at all costs, especially at night. A good reason and example of this, 2 weeks ago I was on my way back from a service call (I own a computer repair co.), it was around 8:30ish, I was driving in the northside, roughly around Dale St, and I went by a house were a group of people were standing, and a couple of them started throwing their 1/2 empty beer cans at my truck--no I do not know the reason why, perhaps they hoped I would stop and confront them so they could rob me--I dont know, and I am not stupid enough to do that anyways but after that, and seeing some of things that go on in broad daylight on those streets I avoid the city
I have exactly the same view of the city. While there a few very nice and even upscale neighborhoods in the city, most of those good neighborhoods are surrounded by or are very close to shady, no go zones. Meaning if you take the wrong turn, you run the risk of attracting trouble.

So, while there are very nice parts of the city and decent looking neighborhoods, your nearby commercial areas, residential and industrial areas are an eyesore (Erie Blvd too). If there was a whole area of the city (meaning roughly 7 or 8 square miles) that had self contained residential, business and shopping plazas without ever going near an eyesore, a run-down building, or an overgrown brush filled lot, then I would not say whole city has a depressing vibe. I include the whole city only because there is almost no way you could live in a good neighborhood in the city without traveling on a daily basis past eyesore after eyesore.

For me that is what makes a place depressing. Neglected properties, ugly, run-down buildings, overgrown lots, lack of professional landscaping.

Clean up how the city LOOKS and people's perception of the city WILL change.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-30-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times
I moved away from Syracuse in 2003 and just moved back 2 months ago and it is eally disturbing to see how bad the northside has become even since then, granted back in 2003 it was far from a utopian paradise but its like the worst of the south and west sides packed up and moved to the northside. I have yet to drive thru (abeit quickly) the south and westsides since moving back but I cant imagine those areas have improved in the time I was away.

The northside really bothers me though, I have such fond memories of being a little kid at my grandparents house on Dale st, and walking up to Byrne Dairy when I was 7. Now I would'nt let myself walk to Byrne Dairy(if its still there) from where his house was. My favorite restraunt is there (Aunt Josies) and I dread leaving my SUV in the parking lot to go in and eat

Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I moved away from Syracuse in 2003 and just moved back 2 months ago and it is eally disturbing to see how bad the northside has become even since then, granted back in 2003 it was far from a utopian paradise but its like the worst of the south and west sides packed up and moved to the northside. I have yet to drive thru (abeit quickly) the south and westsides since moving back but I cant imagine those areas have improved in the time I was away.

The northside really bothers me though, I have such fond memories of being a little kid at my grandparents house on Dale st, and walking up to Byrne Dairy when I was 7. Now I would'nt let myself walk to Byrne Dairy(if its still there) from where his house was. My favorite restraunt is there (Aunt Josies) and I dread leaving my SUV in the parking lot to go in and eat
Honestly, as rough as it looks now, you still shouldn't worry about anything unless you are involved in a lifestyle that warrants such risk.

Also, there are still some very nice parts of the Northside too. North and just south of Grant Boulevard is still really nice. Then, you have Sedgwick and most parts of the Lincoln Park/Hill area that are fine too. So, it depends on where you are too.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I have exactly the same view of the city. While there a few very nice and even upscale neighborhoods in the city, most of those good neighborhoods are surrounded by or are very close to shady, no go zones. Meaning if you take the wrong turn, you run the risk of attracting trouble.

So, while there are very nice parts of the city and decent looking neighborhoods, your nearby commercial areas, residential and industrial areas are an eyesore (Erie Blvd too). If there was a whole area of the city (meaning roughly 7 or 8 square miles) that had self contained residential, business and shopping plazas without ever going near an eyesore, a run-down building, or an overgrown brush filled lot, then I would not say whole city has a depressing vibe. I include the whole city only because there is almost no way you could live in a good neighborhood in the city without traveling on a daily basis past eyesore after eyesore.

For me that is what makes a place depressing. Neglected properties, ugly, run-down buildings, overgrown lots, lack of professional landscaping.

Clean up how the city LOOKS and people's perception of the city WILL change.
I don't agree with all of that. I'll say this, if you look at a map, the part of the city East of I-81 is pretty much fine except for a couple of areas like a good portion or most of the Near Northeast side and the Near Eastside. Besides those two areas, pretty much everything else is fine. That's why I think neighborhoods like Westcott, University and Meadowbrook will always be fine due to the University and having or being near some smaller business areas. Same with Eastwood, which has been building up it's business district again.

Now, if you look West of I-81, the areas on the edge of the city like Strathmore, the Far Westside, Elmwood(south of Glenwood) and the South Valley areas are fine. You do have the Westside area, which is more hit or miss in terms of looks, but is generally safe. That might be due to being close to Automobile Row, still having an ethnic aspect to it in terms of the Polish community and the nice historical homes on Park Ave.

As for Erie Boulevard, that might be due to the growth of the Route 31 corridor and the creation of the Fayetteville Towne Center in the old Fayetteville Mall space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area