Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,498,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusetownusa View Post
Any indication on what type of residential? I am assuming mostly 2 bedroom type apartments/condos but would be great if they had plans for something for family friendly.

I love the Village (due to the walkability and location) and have been keeping my eyes open to purchase a house but every house I have seen so far are just too old and lacking modern conveniences of newly built homes. Most just seem like they would be a money pit.
No, she didn't give me any real specifics since they are waiting to make announcements when they have the necessary approvals and such.

But I'm willing to bet it will probably be along the lines of what they did with the Old Liverpool Shops building - all of the apartments in there are one bedrooms with a study (so technically two bedrooms really).

The Village was incorporated in the 1800s, so there really isn't too much new development in the area. The newer houses tend to be right on the lake and therefore alot more expensive than other ones in the area. The few houses for sale that I had my eyes on were scooped up and I won't be ready to buy for AT LEAST another 5+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM

57 posts, read 146,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
No, she didn't give me any real specifics since they are waiting to make announcements when they have the necessary approvals and such.

But I'm willing to bet it will probably be along the lines of what they did with the Old Liverpool Shops building - all of the apartments in there are one bedrooms with a study (so technically two bedrooms really).

The Village was incorporated in the 1800s, so there really isn't too much new development in the area. The newer houses tend to be right on the lake and therefore alot more expensive than other ones in the area. The few houses for sale that I had my eyes on were scooped up and I won't be ready to buy for AT LEAST another 5+ years.
Thats what I was thinking...I will just have to be patient and keep my eyes open.

The village seems like a good place for experience contractors to buy the run-down properties and do a complete renovation/tear down and build.

I have zero experience with this so wouldn't feel comfortable trying this for myself but there has to be a lot of people like me who love the village but don't want to deal with an old run down home that has a dungeon with standing water for a basement, leaky old windows, no insulation, little to no closet/storage space, etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking...I will just have to be patient and keep my eyes open.

The village seems like a good place for experience contractors to buy the run-down properties and do a complete renovation/tear down and build.

I have zero experience with this so wouldn't feel comfortable trying this for myself but there has to be a lot of people like me who love the village but don't want to deal with an old run down home that has a dungeon with standing water for a basement, leaky old windows, no insulation, little to no closet/storage space, etc.
It seems that alot of the houses tend to have less than stellar exteriors, but the interiors have been completely redone. My apt is in a historic house though that is not in the greatest condition. My LLs pretty much run the show for rentals in the Village and rather than fixing up the places, they rent them for dirt cheap and you end up having a million issues with them. I'd move if I could find another place in the Village that wasn't owned by my LLs.

When I'm ready to buy, I'd love to get a fixer-upper. Not anything major, but I wouldn't mind redoing a kitchen, plus various other small-scale projects.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
I have noticed a JGB Properties sign on the land adjacent to the Plate/CNY Yoga building in the Village of Liverpool. JGB did the development of the First St/Freedom of Espresso property and are also working on the Manlius Madison Row project. Just sent them an email to see what the plans are for the vacant land, and here's what they had to say -

It will be high-end, mostly residential. We are working out details, but won’t be making any public announcements until we have started the approvals process with the Village later this year.

The Plate building has sold. The new owner is looking for a tenant.
Glad to hear, the property really stands out like a gaping hole. I hope it is a mixed-use development. I have always thought that consolidating village offices would make a nice element to any mixed-use development on that property.

btw, whats the status of Madison Row? I drove by last Thanksgiving and did not see anything coming out of the ground.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 01-17-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
btw, whats the status of Madison Row? I drove by last Thanksgiving and did not see anything coming out of the ground.
Looks like Key Bank corporate is holding up breaking ground, but expecting to start development in the spring. Rest of the construction should start next month. But this article is from September, so that info could be outdated

Madison Row, Manlius NY - What?s In Store: Madison Row Project in Manlius - Eastern Suburbs of Syracuse, NY - Leasing 32,000 SF - Retail, Restaurant, Office, Apartments

Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Looks like Key Bank corporate is holding up breaking ground, but expecting to start development in the spring. Rest of the construction should start next month. But this article is from September, so that info could be outdated

Madison Row, Manlius NY - What?s In Store: Madison Row Project in Manlius - Eastern Suburbs of Syracuse, NY - Leasing 32,000 SF - Retail, Restaurant, Office, Apartments
Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:

These homes are older but have essentially been gutted and replaced with modern amenities. Prices and taxes on a psf basis are steep when compared to other like sized properties, though. If someone was a handy person or contractor or had friends/relatives in the business and could get building materials and labor very cheaply they could probably get a fixer upper for about $70,000 and turn around and sell the property for $160,000. The last listing is just outside the village and sold for $49,000 and received a full renovation and is now on the market for $137,000.

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S259060
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S260878
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S264349

Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM

57 posts, read 146,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
These homes are older but have essentially been gutted and replaced with modern amenities. Prices and taxes on a psf basis are steep when compared to other like sized properties, though. If someone was a handy person or contractor or had friends/relatives in the business and could get building materials and labor very cheaply they could probably get a fixer upper for about $70,000 and turn around and sell the property for $160,000. The last listing is just outside the village and sold for $49,000 and received a full renovation and is now on the market for $137,000.

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S259060
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S260878
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S264349

My wife and I actually looked at the first 2 properties...both were nice homes but didn't quite live up to our requirements.

Its possible we are just being too picky but since we have the time (for now) we will just have to keep our eyes open until we find something that just feels right and meets most of our requirements.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
My wife and I actually looked at the first 2 properties...both were nice homes but didn't quite live up to our requirements.

Its possible we are just being too picky but since we have the time (for now) we will just have to keep our eyes open until we find something that just feels right and meets most of our requirements.
Are you interested in other villages or just Liverpool?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say you're being picky at all. Both properties fail to meet my requirements either. It seems the rooms in both are too small. The cape looks claustrophobic. It was nice to see both properties undergo a nice renovation instead of being turned into rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area