Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Just a point of clarification, Bey is not leading the Airport Authority Board but was appointed as a member which is very disturbing. Miner managed to stuff the board with political hacks, friends, and cronies from big labor and academia, many of whom rarely utilize the airport accept to fly to a UAW conference in Flint or the 2008 SIEU convention in San Juan. What's more, instead of hiring an outside airport manager with the requisite education and industry experience as advertised in the city's job posting, Miner promotes a HS grad whose sole qualifcations are that she's from the nort side, has a vowel at the end of her name and started at the Department of Aviation as a secretary before rising to spokeswomen. According to an article in the Albany Times-Union, Syracuse now has the dubious distinction of being the 11th most expensive out of the 100 largest airports to fly out of in the U.S. Syracuse hasn't been that high on the list for several years.

New protections, higher fares for air travelers - Times Union
Thanks for the clarification about Bey and the airport authority, I was concerned. I don't have any objection to his appointment to the board as a member, I just don't know what he can contribute. The airport authority has its work cut out for themselves, i.e. Albany Int'l Airport (per your link) and Buffalo Niagara Int'l Airport. The Mayor should be appointing individuals well versed on airport authority and the economic development issues. I am sure Miner is pulling all the strings with both bodies to be sure.

If you read a little further down the article, The so-called "Southwest effect" (SW drives down fares) seems to be waning in Albany. From 2000, when Southwest first came to Albany, to 2011, the average fare is up 31.8 percent. Despite this fact, the AA should not become complacent when air service is critical to attracting companies to the area. If Syracuse and CNY are to maximize the benefits of a transitioning economy, i.e. env. tech, meds/eds, biotech, r & d, etc. it will have to become competitive. Number 11 most expensive city is not acceptable.

Btw, the Albany Airport Authority consists of seven members, four appointed by the Majority Leader of the Albany County Legislature and three by the County Executive, who jointly designate one of the seven members as chairperson. The Syracuse Airport Authority by comparison has 11 members: 7 appointed. by the City, 1 by the County, the remaining three include, East Syracuse Minoa School District; Town of Dewitt; and Town of Cicero. My question why so many? In any case, I am glad they are moving forward.

http://www.albanyairport.com/airport_authority.php

Nice AIA web-site too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks for the clarification about Bey and the airport authority, I was concerned. I don't have any objection to his appointment to the board as a member, I just don't know what he can contribute. The airport authority has its work cut out for themselves, i.e. Albany Int'l Airport (per your link) and Buffalo Niagara Int'l Airport. The Mayor should be appointing individuals well versed on airport authority and the economic development issues. I am sure Miner is pulling all the strings with both bodies to be sure.

If you read a little further down the article, The so-called "Southwest effect" (SW drives down fares) seems to be waning in Albany. From 2000, when Southwest first came to Albany, to 2011, the average fare is up 31.8 percent. Despite this fact, the AA should not become complacent when air service is critical to attracting companies to the area. If Syracuse and CNY are to maximize the benefits of a transitioning economy, i.e. env. tech, meds/eds, biotech, r & d, etc. it will have to become competitive. Number 11 most expensive city is not acceptable.

Btw, the Albany Airport Authority consists of seven members, four appointed by the Majority Leader of the Albany County Legislature and three by the County Executive, who jointly designate one of the seven members as chairperson. The Syracuse Airport Authority by comparison has 11 members: 7 appointed. by the City, 1 by the County, the remaining three include, East Syracuse Minoa School District; Town of Dewitt; and Town of Cicero. My question why so many? In any case, I am glad they are moving forward.

Albany International Airport ALB :: Airport Authority

Nice AIA web-site too!

You're very diplomatic about Bey I don't think he brings anything good to the table. Syracuse had an excellent Airport Commissioner named Charlie Everett during the Bernardi Administration with actual aviation experience and a degree from Penn to boot. He ended up taking at job in Washington DC with the FAA. In September 2011, he was hired as General Manager of Allentown's Lehigh Valley Airport. During his tenure, Hancock was actually doing quite well. It wasn't until he left and the bartender mayor appointed a nortsider hack that things really went downhill. Why didn't Miner try to bring Everett back to Syracuse? I believe his wife is/was a partner at a Syracuse-based law firm that had a Washington, DC office so there obviously was a connection to this area

Charles R Everett Jr | LinkedIn

Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You're very diplomatic about Bey I don't think he brings anything good to the table. Syracuse had an excellent Airport Commissioner named Charlie Everett during the Bernardi Administration with actual aviation experience and a degree from Penn to boot. He ended up taking at job in Washington DC with the FAA. In September 2011, he was hired as General Manager of Allentown's Lehigh Valley Airport. During his tenure, Hancock was actually doing quite well. It wasn't until he left and the bartender mayor appointed a nortsider hack that things really went downhill. Why didn't Miner try to bring Everett back to Syracuse? I believe his wife is/was a partner at a Syracuse-based law firm that had a Washington, DC office so there obviously was a connection to this area

Charles R Everett Jr | LinkedIn
Not sure why she did not bring Everett back, but I have a hunch. Despite pop. growth reflected in recent census data, there are those who do not like "outsiders" or those who challenge the status quo. I believe Miner is controling things.

I agree with your assessment of Mayor Matt Dumbskull (the bartender mayor), I would take Miner any day of the week. She gets things done, I like her. Matt "Sam Malone" Driscoll couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone economic development. I am confident Miner will get things done, i.e. Loguen Crossing, Inner-harbor, etc.

I couldn't resist, I pulled up the Lehigh Valley Airport web-site for kicks. Neat little airport, but it is equidistant between the Phili and NYC metros. I see they attracted Allegiant Airlines and DirectAir, which also flys out of Niagara International Airport. Both are low-cost airlines, Syracuse could easily attract both. Direct Air is an indirect air carrier providing public charter air flights, and offering all- inclusive vacation, golf, and entertainment packages.

http://www.flylvia.com/index.html

Btw, easy on the "nortsider" references, I am a nortsider. My last name ends in a vowel

Last edited by urbanplanner; 02-03-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Not sure why she did not bring Everett back, but I have a hunch. Despite pop. growth reflected in recent census data, there are those who do not like "outsiders" or those who challenge the status quo. I believe Miner is controling things.

I agree with your assessment of Mayor Matt Dumbskull (the bartender mayor), I would take Miner any day of the week. She gets things done, I like her. Matt "Sam Malone" Driscoll couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone economic development. I am confident Miner will get things done, i.e. Loguen Crossing, Inner-harbor, etc.

I couldn't resist, I pulled up the Lehigh Valley Airport web-site for kicks. Neat little airport, but it is equidistant between the Phili and NYC metros. I see they attracted Allegiant Airlines and DirectAir, which also flys out of Niagara International Airport. Both are low-cost airlines, Syracuse could easily attract both. Direct Air is an indirect air carrier providing public charter air flights, and offering all- inclusive vacation, golf, and entertainment packages.

http://www.flylvia.com/index.html

Btw, easy on the "nortsider" references, I am a nortsider. My last name ends in a vowel
One of my new year's resolutions was to tone done the "nortsider" references and rhetoric. I have done a very poor job of it so far The northside used to be beautiful and I wish many of the younger generations of Italian families could still live there. It's very disheartening to hear what happened on Willumae earlier this week which was one of the nicest streets in the neighborhood.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
One of my new year's resolutions was to tone done the "nortsider" references and rhetoric. I have done a very poor job of it so far The northside used to be beautiful and I wish many of the younger generations of Italian families could still live there. It's very disheartening to hear what happened on Willumae earlier this week which was one of the nicest streets in the neighborhood.
No worries, but what happened to Willumae Drive earlier this week? I concur with your assessment on the demise of the "nortside". I grew up on Grant Blvd near McChesney Park, it seems that the decay has not hit there yet. I hope it doesn't, it breaks my mother and fathers hearts when they travel through there. My father still has friends who live there.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Greek Peak must find new lender following bank closure

Greek Peak Mountain Resort must refinance several loans after regulators shut down its lender, Nashville–based Tennessee Commerce Bank, last week. I hope they can get the financing, we (USA) ain't seen nothing yet folks.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Cafe' Kabul in Eastwood to triple in size:

Café Kubal in Eastwood to triple in size | Eagle News Online

I think we recently talked about Cafe' Kabul downtown, but not sure if this was brought up about Eastwood. Sorry if I am regurgitating old news. In any case, I like their reasoning for the expansion besides its success. Matt Goddard said “I want it to be more of a hang out place, instead of only to go, which is why I got into coffee — so that people would chill and have coffee and talk, and be a part of that,” Godard said. “I think coffeehouses are a good incubator for ideas and for change.”

Here is the proposed floor plan from their web-site:

Eastwood

Matt is spot on, I wish them well. I notice they are not open too late, perhaps they should stay open a couple hours longer. It would be a great evening stomping ground for the neighborhood. The cafe near my house is open until 11 pm, which might be a bit of over kill. There are photos of the downtown Cafe' Kabul on their web-site which I think are stunning.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Developer signs Aspen Health & Athletic Club as tenant for Downtown Office Building

A Liverpool-based owner of two health clubs in the northern suburbs will open a 6,000 square foot health and fitness facility in the former HSBC Tower on South Warren Street. According to the developer, two national food chains are also interested in a corner retail storefront. In addition, a suburban company is considering relocating 180 employees to the building.

Renovated former HSBC Tower in downtown Syracuse lands first key tenant: Aspen Athletic Club | syracuse.com

Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Developer signs Aspen Health & Athletic Club as tenant for Downtown Office Building

A Liverpool-based owner of two health clubs in the northern suburbs will open a 6,000 square foot health and fitness facility in the former HSBC Tower on South Warren Street. According to the developer, two national food chains are also interested in a corner retail storefront. In addition, a suburban company is considering relocating 180 employees to the building.

Renovated former HSBC Tower in downtown Syracuse lands first key tenant: Aspen Athletic Club | syracuse.com
Nice and I think it compliments the other fitness options Downtown. I wonder who the food stores and other businesses are in terms of vying for space?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM

44 posts, read 80,117 times
Quote:

Here's some more info about Onondaga Tower: http://cbdcos.com/uploads/ONONDAGA%20Tower%20Flyer.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area