Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is nice to see outsiders taking notice of the projects going on and the potential that the city has.
It's amazing, however the negative attitudes that some have. Has anyone seen this site, Yestercuse: The state of the city If anything what is so striking is how out of date the site is. It appears not to have been updated since 2006. Since then we have seen massive investment in downtown. These are all the projects that immediately come to mind since that date: the JCC, Washington Station, the new bus station, the Dey's building, Pike Place, the Label Shopper Building, the creek walk, the renovations to the Atrium and Clinton St. Garages, Urban Outfitters, and many more that don't immediately come to mind.

I do wish, however the city was able to exert more pressure on some of the other building owners to clean up their acts. One building that immediately comes to mind is the Rite-Aid in the old Woolworth's on Salina St. It has the potential to be another gem downtown, but is spoiled by the hideous brown paneling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM

60 posts, read 130,618 times
YNN Piece on the Armory Square Marriott

Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajason View Post
On the flip-side -- there is another project in the works for Armory Square that DOES have an entire ground floor of retail space. I, for one, am extremely excited about the prospects for this one:

[re]think syracuse: [creek-edge density]
I usually criticize the designs of new construction projects in Syracuse as being too conservative but this one is a bit "out there." In my opinion, the building only looks attractive at night when the overhang above the lobby and windows of the apartment units are illuminated. Despite its eccentricity, the proposed building would serve as a very impressive gateway to downtown from South West and West Fayette Streets at night.

In all honesty, I think the designs on the rethink website are much better than the proposal from the Kansas City firm.
[re]think syracuse: [bridging boundaries]
[re]think syracuse: [rethink west street]

I especially like the building in the rethink West Street thread. It's edgy but incorporates brick that reflects Syracuse industrial heritage. Your talents are much needed in Syracuse and hopefully your designs will be incorporated in future development projects in CNY.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM

288 posts, read 507,737 times
I was looking through the el dorado website that some were talking about and I across this...I don't know if this really is going on or not or if it will happened... Salt Point Flats*|*el dorado inc

Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
I was looking through the el dorado website that some were talking about and I across this...I don't know if this really is going on or not or if it will happened... Salt Point Flats*|*el dorado inc
That rendering looks like it was planned for the parking lot across from the Warehouse and creekwalk. I immediately recognize the overhang from the building that now houses the Red House and Subcat studios. I like this design much better.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
That rendering looks like it was planned for the parking lot across from the Warehouse and creekwalk. I immediately recognize the overhang from the building that now houses the Red House and Subcat studios. I like this design much better.
I totally agree, as it modern, but fits the character of the area. I wonder if there is a chance for this to be a reality though?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I totally agree, as it modern, but fits the character of the area. I wonder if there is a chance for this to be a reality though?
It's hard to say. Based on the nearly four year delay with Washington Station and the tactics Pioneer used when trying to obtain a 30 year PILOT for the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Auburn, I don't see them pursuing this project unless significant incentives are at the table, and I mean subsidies that go far beyond a standard 15 year PILOT and Sales and Use Tax exemption. Without a substanial grant from the state, which has largely concentrated its economic development resouces in Rochester and Buffalo since Cuomo took office, I don't see it moving forward.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM

84 posts, read 124,382 times
Two new articles from the Post-standard about new businesses. Its nice to see that the new store downtown actually had a line outside for customers. I don't know if I've ever seen that in Syracuse.
Sneaker Villa
The new bike park opening is pretty cool. Its should be a nice boon to the area. Its also I nice reuse of an old industrial space. It reminds me of an indoor rock climbing gym I visited in Albany recently.
Crank

Also, I try not to read the comments on Syracuse.com, but occasionally I do and every time it infuriates me.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Govsphere, a startup government consulting firm based in Downtown Syracuse plans to hire 10 to 15 people in 2012.

Govsphere receives HUBZone Certification from the U.S. Small Business Administration

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM

288 posts, read 507,737 times
always a good thing when a company decides to add people in the syracuse area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area