Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM

44 posts, read 80,115 times

Advertisements

http://downtownsyracuse.com/images/u...Investment.pdf

This is a pretty thorough listing and descriptions of the $1.4 billion of investment currently underway in Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajason View Post

This is a pretty thorough listing and descriptions of the $1.4 billion of investment currently underway in Syracuse.
It was nice to see a segment during the news on Channel 9 on the development in Downtown: $1.4 Billion being invested in Syracuse: Where is the money going? - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 AM

60 posts, read 131,310 times
Default Nice to see so much development downtown

It seems like the next few years could be a tipping point for downtown's revival. I am particularly excited about the Pike Block development, which will increase the footprint of Armory to South Salina (which always had a lot of potential), and the Inner Harbor project. Heck, I even think the mall expansion might be a decent draw for young professionals as Syracuse will have more retail/dining options than many smaller cities - I just hope that the mall doesn't prevent retail development downtown.

On a sad note, I'll be leaving CNY within the next year (moving to NC with my wife) so I won't be around to witness a lot of these projects coming to fruition. I'll have to visit often to see the progress...

Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYLion View Post

On a sad note, I'll be leaving CNY within the next year (moving to NC with my wife) so I won't be around to witness a lot of these projects coming to fruition. I'll have to visit often to see the progress...
We'll leave the light on for you! I'm working on moving back to NY this fall or by spring at the latest. I need to go back home. South Carolina is soooo NOT for me! Good luck in NC! I like a lot of NC, but it's still not home to me.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajason View Post

Great find, very thorough indeed! I found this on YNN http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top...--1-4-billion/

I was not aware of Upstate's $36M Academic Research Building and glad to see Loguen Crossing is fixed to get its second (after the biotech center) building. Its good to see ESF's Academic Research Building on the list, I really like that building. I thought the Hurbson Building was stalled (?), but I see it is on again.

The Nojaim's/St. Joseph's Health clinic "third space" location peaked my interest, maybe Pond Street? Glad to see that the demolished Otisco Building will result in mixed-use development. Its great to read that the Flat Iron building at Prospect Avenue and N. Salina Street will be renovated into residential and retail uses, it was boarded up last time I was up. I am happy that it is not being torn down. The southside seems to get the short end of the stick on this list with only one project, why isn't the Tops Market and Southside Innovation Center also listed?

I was interested to see that 40% of downtown residents are affiliated with the University Hill, am I to assume that the remaining 60% of downtown residents are not affiliated with the University Hill? If so, it is pretty significant. Many assume that all that residential conversion is sole attributed to the University Hill. Also impressive to see 570 additional units planned for downtown or under construction, not sure if that includes Franklin Square. Btw, nice aerial photo of the Chase building!

There are a few projects on the list that have been completed, i.e. the Center of Excellence, Golisano Children's Center, but I guess new enough to make the list. It seems Syracuse has come a long way from just a few short years ago when we where all waiting in anticipation for many of these projects to move forward.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-29-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM

60 posts, read 131,310 times
Default Moving for a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We'll leave the light on for you! I'm working on moving back to NY this fall or by spring at the latest. I need to go back home. South Carolina is soooo NOT for me! Good luck in NC! I like a lot of NC, but it's still not home to me.

My wife got an offer that was just too good to pass up. We'll be in an urban area, so I think the culture shock should be minimal (I hope!). In any case, I'll miss CNY...there's a lot to like around here.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
I was in the Village of Liverpool Hall yesterday and struck up a conversation with the clerk - apparently the Tim Horton's that was supposed to go in the old Burger King location has since cancelled their plans (just happened within the past few weeks). No clue what will go in its place at this time. A new gift/decor shop also opened up in the Village, next door to that BK - it's called Kashani. I haven't made it in yet but my Aunt tells me they also have antiques, etc

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,996,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I was in the Village of Liverpool Hall yesterday and struck up a conversation with the clerk - apparently the Tim Horton's that was supposed to go in the old Burger King location has since cancelled their plans (just happened within the past few weeks).
Interesting. Though, given the ones they've built around here, I don't know how they were planning on creating their convoluted extra-long drive through lanes there.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Interesting. Though, given the ones they've built around here, I don't know how they were planning on creating their convoluted extra-long drive through lanes there.
While I've never been to a Tim Horton's before, I don't see it as a good fit for the Village anyway. We already have Freedom of Espresso and Cafe at 407. I'd rather support the local guys than a big chain

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,996,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
While I've never been to a Tim Horton's before, I don't see it as a good fit for the Village anyway. We already have Freedom of Espresso and Cafe at 407. I'd rather support the local guys than a big chain
It's Canada's equivalent to Dunkin Donuts, with (IMO) better coffee and food options. Very commuter oriented (grab'n'go).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area