Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
They've been trying to sell and lease these units for ages. Sorry, but who wants to spend a million bucks to live above several very loud bars? There is a finite number of people who have the money to live in Skaneateles and there's been so many units built in the last 5 years. The economic downturn surely didn't help, but I'm beginning to think they've tapped out the market since several buildings went from for sale condos to leased luxury apartments and most are still vacant several years later.

There have been units for sale on and off in this house for several years now. They, too, are very pricy and tend to take awhile to sell. The outside is gorgeous and well maintained since it was remodeled. The lake views must be stunning inside since it's across from the park.

At least, this project desperately needed. The original building was leaning and being held up by the bank next door. The prices on these units are much more reasonable, but again they've been on the market for well over a year.

Granted, Skaneateles price tags aren't for the faint of heart, but they've gotten so crazy high that they have drastically limited their market. I have been waiting for a serious market correction here. Homes have been sitting on the market for a few years here and many just never sell. You have a very tiny market when you're trying to sell units for close to a million and above. Then there's the insane tax bill. Village taxes are beyond ridiculous. One time we looked a house in the village and the taxes were over $18K a YEAR! The house was on the market for $200K and was about 1400 sq ft and on a postage size lot. Practically no yard. Village living appealed to us, but the tax bill made us run! I know the lovely taxes of NY are issues for most of us.
I believe that the Seitz Building has a couple of restaurants and a few stores. So, price is more of an issue than bars.

It will be interesting to see if any of these condos ever get sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Aside from meaning the loss of Cafe Kubal at the airport, it's sounding like some very good food options will be coming to Hancock: Creative Food Group picked to operate Syracuse Hancock International Airport's food, retail shops | syracuse.com
Finally, welcome to the 21st century Hancock! Those are some new and interesting options. Johnney Rockets is a fun place eat, been there a couple of times. I always check out the New York Times Store and CNBC Smartshop when I am at Kennedy.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-14-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
It could. I think it will depend on the individual and their desire and/or comfort level of living in an urban area or in a village that arguably has much better retail and services close by but is pretty homogenous. Auburn has a few growing companies like Currier Plastics and Xylem, Inc (formerly ITT) on the west side of town. A mid-level Welch Allyn executive or engineer is probably going to chose a downtown unit in Skaneateles whereas a new assistant professor at CCC, someone working at a company west of downtown Auburn or a creative professional may opt for a loft in Auburn. +1 for Auburn having a Wegmans in their downtown.

In reference to specific development in Syracuse, without more jobs and a growing population, condo and market rate apartments planned for Loguen's Crossing, the Inner Harbor as well as existing units in Armory Square, Franklin Square and even some of the market rate units in Hawley Green will all cannibalize themselves. The area needs more good paying jobs. Without population growth and demand driven by new businesses and/or major institutions (i.e something like the Cleveland Clinic or even Roswell Park) relocating to and expanding to the area, there is simply not enough demand for all of these projects to remain viable in the long run.
Good observation housing preferences, but I think developers would not move forward with housing projects if their were not demand. I doubt they would risk that much capital if they thought there was not enough demand, or there was a risk of "cannibalization" in the market.

Great point on Cleveland Clinic, Roswell Park, they would make great additions to the area considering the emphasis on and expansion of Cancer and Blood Cord research at SUNY Upstate. I have always envisioned a Cancer Treatment Center coming to the area.

I know it may be far fetched (more like a pipedream), but I have always thought Cornell would make a great addition to Syracuse's inner-harbor should OCC opt. out of COR's proposal. If Cornell can build a $2B campus on Roosevelt Island in NYC, then they can build a satellite campus around Syracuse's Inner-harbor.

I hear the new President of OCC is not keen to investing in a satellite campus, she needs to speak to Snydow for her reasons for supporting such a proposal. I remember reading somewhere that OCC's Tourist and Hospitality school was going to occupy the inner-harbor campus. If not, then Cornell has a leading school of Tourism and Hospitality that would make a great addition to the area.

I am not suggesting they move their entire school to Syracuse, but a satellite campus would be nice. I am not wedded to that particular curriculum, just an idea. Imagine Syracuse hosting, SU, LeMoyne, SUNY Upstate, SUNY ESF and Cornell, plus OCC just outside the City.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Good observation housing preferences, but I think developers would not move forward with housing projects if their were not demand. I doubt they would risk that much capital if they thought there was not enough demand, or there was a risk of "cannibalization" in the market.

Great point on Cleveland Clinic, Roswell Park, they would make great additions to the area considering the emphasis on and expansion of Cancer and Blood Cord research at SUNY Upstate. I have always envisioned a Cancer Treatment Center coming to the area.

I know it may be far fetched (more like a pipedream), but I have always thought Cornell would make a great addition to Syracuse's inner-harbor should OCC opt. out of COR's proposal. If Cornell can build a $2B campus on Roosevelt Island in NYC, then they can build a satellite campus around Syracuse's Inner-harbor.

I hear the new President of OCC is not keen to investing in a satellite campus, she needs to speak to Snydow for her reasons for supporting such a proposal. I remember reading somewhere that OCC's Tourist and Hospitality school was going to occupy the inner-harbor campus. If not, then Cornell has a leading school of Tourism and Hospitality that would make a great addition to the area.

I am not suggesting they move their entire school to Syracuse, but a satellite campus would be nice. I am not wedded to that particular curriculum, just an idea. Imagine Syracuse hosting, SU, LeMoyne, SUNY Upstate, SUNY ESF and Cornell, plus OCC just outside the City.

If only we could switch. I wish Cornell could occupy SU's footprint on University Hill with SU relocating everything but its athletic program to Ithaca . Cornell does have MBA and other grad programs at locations across the country. Cornell may not want to encroach on SU's home turf. There's only so much demand for grad programs, with SU and Le Moyne being the prime beneficiary of revenue from local grad students pursuing MBAs and other certificates.

The Institute for Human Performance if managed and funded adequately could have a positive benefit. Unfortunately, Upstate Medical University is near the bottom of U.S medical school in terms of academic ranking and has a long history of poor management-employee relations and nepotism. With the right leadership and a state government willing to make strategic investments, the IHP could contribute to some groundbreaking research. It is a very nice facility and is undergoing expansion:

Alternative Power Solutions - Upstate Medical University Expansion - Syracuse, NY

Here is a recent photo of the brown façade going up. I like the panels.
https://twitter.com/ekulkus/status/3...407424/photo/1

Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I don't know when that is opening up, but it is coming along very well.

I'd also wish that Cazenovia College Fashion Department and SU's VPA Fashion Design program could open up an incubator in either the Inner Harbor or Downtown. I think that would be a nice addition and could help form a creative class in the area. Fashion Design | Cazenovia College

Fashion design | Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts

Perhaps the SUNY Oswego Metro center could relocate there, if OCC decides to back out of the project: SUNY Oswego - SUNY Oswego Metro Center

Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
If only we could switch. I wish Cornell could occupy SU's footprint on University Hill with SU relocating everything but its athletic program to Ithaca . Cornell does have MBA and other grad programs at locations across the country. Cornell may not want to encroach on SU's home turf. There's only so much demand for grad programs, with SU and Le Moyne being the prime beneficiary of revenue from local grad students pursuing MBAs and other certificates.

The Institute for Human Performance if managed and funded adequately could have a positive benefit. Unfortunately, Upstate Medical University is near the bottom of U.S medical school in terms of academic ranking and has a long history of poor management-employee relations and nepotism. With the right leadership and a state government willing to make strategic investments, the IHP could contribute to some groundbreaking research. It is a very nice facility and is undergoing expansion:

Alternative Power Solutions - Upstate Medical University Expansion - Syracuse, NY

Here is a recent photo of the brown façade going up. I like the panels.
https://twitter.com/ekulkus/status/3...407424/photo/1
I don't like that brown fascade, yeesh!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
I don't know how well it will hold up in the winter. At least it's different then the typical soviet block style buildings. It may not be attractive but the color looks better than the original rendering.

At least it doesn't look like this:
http://www.architectmagazine.com/hea...hitecture.aspx

Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
It actually looks pretty good in person - was pleasantly surprised. Drove by it yesterday. And it's not another variation on gray and silver, which seems to be the current blah trend for not brick...

Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
And it's not another variation on gray and silver, which seems to be the current blah trend for not brick...
The new trend is a curtainwall system. It is used to get LEED credits for recycled product. I think the Syracuse skyline has just about every color of this product visible. Most of it is on Gollisano. If you look really close, even the gray tones have a different color to them depending on how the sun hits it.
Home
http://www.kawneer.com/

Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The new trend is a curtainwall system. It is used to get LEED credits for recycled product. I think the Syracuse skyline has just about every color of this product visible. Most of it is on Gollisano. If you look really close, even the gray tones have a different color to them depending on how the sun hits it.
Home
http://www.kawneer.com/
As long as no one else builds anything else using the... mirror-like stuff they put on Campus West apartments (Henry Street, west of the Dome), I'll be happy. But almost all of its use here seems to be a shade of gray. ESF used similar stuff for part of the Gateway Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area