Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

WAER | Music, News and NPR from Central New York

It is in regards to the Babcock-Shattuck House in the Westcott neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM

(VIDEO) Creekwalk Commons | Syracuse New Times

Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Back to the Future | Syracuse New Times

Living Space: 311 Montgomery St. | Syracuse New Times

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Nice to see the powers that be are communicating again and that a renovation of the Carrier Dome is still on the table. I appreciate SU's Stadium Consultant, Attorney Irwin Raij's comments that the Dome is in "solid shape.'' But over the long term it will need a lot of work, Raij said. That's why it makes sense to evaluate the potential for a new building. There was no immediate problem with the Dome that prompted SU to look at building something new, he said. "The facility is functional. It's a good facility,'' Raij said. "Long term, the Carrier Dome is going to have to be maintained very often and very carefully. As great as the facility is, and everything it has brought the community, it is an aged facility.'' However, If a new stadium is feasible, lets get the state to once again partner once again with everyone on board.

SU stadium consultant to meet with Syracuse Mayor Miner's task force Thursday | syracuse.com

A new SU sports stadium? Public funding required, and 5 other insights from SU's point man (video) | syracuse.com

It seems Loguen Crossing may still be a go, per the first link, "Dr. Gregory Eastwood, interim president of Upstate Medical University, also will speak to the group. Upstate is developing the former Kennedy Square site in partnership with COR Development Co."

Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
I suspect the stadium-or-not nonsense and work over the last six months, paired with the events that led to a different person in charge at Upstate, probably derailed a lot of the planning process for Loguen Crossing. Hard to make a whole lot of plans with that much up in the air.

I'd be curious to see how much precedent there is for public financing of private universities' athletic facilities. There's already plenty of criticism when you talk about professional stadiums and the exaggerated impacts they claim versus reality, but heavy public subsidy of a private university's stadium seems far more questionable.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
I suspect the stadium-or-not nonsense and work over the last six months, paired with the events that led to a different person in charge at Upstate, probably derailed a lot of the planning process for Loguen Crossing. Hard to make a whole lot of plans with that much up in the air.

I'd be curious to see how much precedent there is for public financing of private universities' athletic facilities. There's already plenty of criticism when you talk about professional stadiums and the exaggerated impacts they claim versus reality, but heavy public subsidy of a private university's stadium seems far more questionable.
Good point about the use of public money for a private university, as I can think of one example of this where it was exclusively for a private university athletic program.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Living Space: Mission Landing | Syracuse New Times

Old 05-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Great photos of the Hotel Syracuse in its heyday. I certainly hope all obstacles are removed to make way for its redevelopment. Though I am not a fan of making the Hotel Syracuse the official hotel of the convention center, developer Ed Riley's proposal it is a good one!! I would prefer that a new hotel be built next to the convention center, while the Hotel Syracuse is transformed into a mixed-use development. In any case, if Riley can get the ball rolling I would get behind it. I remember the Grand Ballroom and Persian Terrace and would look forward to their restoration. Some in our family had weddings there.

Hotel Syracuse in its glory days (photo gallery) | syracuse.com

Somewhat related since they both are crucial to the redevelopment of Warren Street...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ntown_syr.html

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-08-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 01:16 PM

A welcomed, long awaited and positive observation...

What a Difference a Corner Makes….

but there is still more work to be done!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Great photos of the Hotel Syracuse in its heyday. I certainly hope all obstacles are removed to make way for its redevelopment. Though I am not a fan of making the Hotel Syracuse the official hotel of the convention center, developer Ed Riley's proposal it is a good one!! I would prefer that a new hotel be built next to the convention center, while the Hotel Syracuse is transformed into a mixed-use development. In any case, if Riley can get the ball rolling I would get behind it. I remember the Grand Ballroom and Persian Terrace and would look forward to their restoration. Some in our family had weddings there.

Hotel Syracuse in its glory days (photo gallery) | syracuse.com

Somewhat related since they both are crucial to the redevelopment of Warren Street...

New owners take over former Excellus building in downtown Syracuse | syracuse.com
Yeah, it would have been nice to see a new hotel instead, but it does seem like Riley has a plan for the building. Even Auburn was able to get a new hotel near its Downtown and with events like the NCAA Basketball Regionals and others, it would be nice to have another new hotel Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area