Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, it would have been nice to see a new hotel instead, but it does seem like Riley has a plan for the building. Even Auburn was able to get a new hotel near its Downtown and with events like the NCAA Basketball Regionals and others, it would be nice to have another new hotel Downtown.
Yeah, I agree. Auburn is turning into a great little city from what I have read. As for the NCAA and Syracuse, there is the new Marriott and (at least) one new (Aloft) hotel scheduled for the inner-harbor. It remains to be seen if the second hotel recently mentioned by COR becomes a reality and of course there the continuing saga related to the Destiny hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Yeah, I agree. Auburn is turning into a great little city from what I have read. As for the NCAA and Syracuse, there is the new Marriott and (at least) one new (Aloft) hotel scheduled for the inner-harbor. It remains to be seen if the second hotel recently mentioned by COR becomes a reality and of course there the continuing saga related to the Destiny hotel.
That's true and I think the more hotels you have within the city, the more vibrancy you'll see.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM

http://pike-downtown-apartments.com/...nt-pricing.pdf

Seems that the Pike Block apartments are rapidly becoming leased, continuing demand for downtown residential units. If someone had told me ten years ago that a one bedroom market-rate unit of approximately 600-800 sq. ft. were going for $1400-$1500 +/- and 2 and 3 bedroom apartments were leasing in the mid to upper $2000's in downtown Syracuse, I would have said they were crazy.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-09-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
http://pike-downtown-apartments.com/...nt-pricing.pdf

Seems that the Pike Block apartments are rapidly becoming leased, continuing demand for downtown residential units. If someone had told me ten years ago that a one bedroom market-rate unit of approximately 600-800 sq. ft. were going for $1400-$1500 +/- and 2 and 3 bedroom apartments were leasing in the mid to upper $2000's in downtown Syracuse, I would have said they were crazy.
It doesn't hurt that the close proximity to University Hill hospitals and the SU campus attracts faculty and staff members that want urban living. There are also some students and empty nesters that are also into urban living. This doesn't include other professionals or faculty and staff from other area colleges and universities.

I honestly think that some of the nearby neighborhoods like the Park Ave area west of Downtown will and is starting to see some development in the near future. I also wonder about apartments along North Salina and the newer development at Butternut and Townsend in terms of housing demand too.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Downtown Living Tour Sneak Peek | Syracuse New Times

Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
London company teaming with Upstate Medical University to open first-of-its-kind cancer treatment facility in Syracuse | syracuse.com

I am not going to hold my breath, but this sounds like good news for Loguen Crossing. It remains to be seen on the size of the investment and federal approvals for this technology.

"A London company and Upstate Medical University have agreed to work together to open a cancer therapy facility in Syracuse, possibly under the state's newly launched Start-Up NY tax-free initiative. Advanced Oncotherapy PLC and the state medical university in Syracuse have signed a memorandum of understanding, a non-binding agreement, to begin the steps necessary to establish a proton therapy facility at the university. A site for the cancer treatment facility has not been chosen, but Advanced Oncotherapy said it could be built at Loguen's Crossing, a mixed-use project being built by the university and COR Development near downtown Syracuse. The company said the university would become the first medical center in the United States to offer proton beam therapy based on its patented technology. The agreement between the company and the university sets in motion a series of steps designed to bring Advanced Oncotherapy to Syracuse. Among those steps is receiving approvals from the state Department of Health and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, a process that could take three years.

UPDATE: SUNY Upstate's Department of Radiation Oncology is a seeking a director and several assistant professors to staff the proposed proton research center. According to the job postings, it could take 2 to 3 years for the center to be up and running. Based on SUNY Upstate's poor track record in executing projects and securing state and private funding, I'll believe when I see it. Hopefully this will not be another pipedream and colossal failure like the Center of Excellence, Biotech Accelerator, Blue-Highway, and Salina nanotech center:

Here are the positions:

Director of Proton Research Center; Associate Professor or Professor at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York 13210 | eHealthCareers.com

Proton Therapy Research

The London-based company that expressed interest in locating a facility at SUNY Upstate has hired a person to manage the Syracuse operation:
Advanced Oncotherapy Plc > About > The AVO team > Jay Sinclair

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,986,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
UPDATE: SUNY Upstate's Department of Radiation Oncology is a seeking a director and several assistant professors to staff the proposed proton research center. According to the job postings, it could take 2 to 3 years for the center to be up and running. Based on SUNY Upstate's poor track record in executing projects and securing state and private funding, I'll believe when I see it. Hopefully this will not be another pipedream and colossal failure like the Center of Excellence, Biotech Accelerator, Blue-Highway, and Salina nanotech center:
Seems like the sort of thing that would work well in concert with the Cancer Center they're in the middle of building.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post

Here are the positions:

Director of Proton Research Center; Associate Professor or Professor at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York 13210 | eHealthCareers.com

Proton Therapy Research

The London-based company that expressed interest in locating a facility at SUNY Upstate has hired a person to manage the Syracuse operation:
Advanced Oncotherapy Plc > About > The AVO team > Jay Sinclair
Thanks for the links, I agree with you. I will believe it when I see it. The memo of understanding is encouraging though, but we have heard these grand announcements before only to be disappointed. The facility makes sense though (as acknight points out) with its proximity to the Cancer Center in the final stages of completion.

Funny you should mention the Salina nanotech center, I was going to search the Nano Utica article on syracuse.com when we were all "reassured" (again) that it would become a reality. I posted at the time that I would believe it when I see it, well we are still waiting and nothing has happened. I just posted a follow-up on its status. Btw, are they moving any dirt in Dewitt for that "nanotech hub"?

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-13-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM

New senior citizen apartments in CNY, developer says the market is hot | syracuse.com

Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links, I agree with you. I will believe it when I see it. The memo of understanding is encouraging though, but we have heard these grand announcements before only to be disappointed. The facility makes sense though (as acknight points out) with its proximity to the Cancer Center in the final stages of completion.

Funny you should mention the Salina nanotech center, I was going to search the Nano Utica article on syracuse.com when we were all "reassured" (again) that it would become a reality. I posted at the time that I would believe it when I see it, well we are still waiting and nothing has happened. I just posted a follow-up on its status. Btw, are they moving any dirt in Dewitt for that "nanotech hub"?
I found this article: Next up for Cuomo: Nano Syracuse - The Buzz: Business news

I wonder if there is some actual activity in Salina or will the DeWitt location be the hub for nanotech in the area? Well, Ifound this article too: Nanotechnology site at Electronics Park will move forward | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area