Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM

97 posts, read 260,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
JetBlue to Add Additional Non-Stop Flight to Orlando

Discount airline JetBlue will be adding additional non-stop service between Syracuse and Orlando beginning on February 17. According to an earlier article in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, the airline decided to drop non-stop service from Rochester to Orlando due to a lack of profitability. The flight crew and plane will be transferred to Syracuse. Effective February 17, Syracuse will have two daily non-stop flights to Orlando.

JetBlue upbeat despite rivals' merger | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

JetBlue expanding service between Syracuse/Orlando - YNN, Your News Now

Airline announces new flight out of Syracuse : Money : News : CNYCentral.com
This is great news for Syracuse and especially for Hancock. I remember 2 years ago when JB dropped its once daily flight to Ft. Lauterdale. But noew we have another 2 flights a day to Orlando. Very, very, very interesting that JB moved the flights from Rochester to Syracuse, when Rochester is suppossed to be this "amazing airport" with these "amazing" prices...Im just saying. Southwest will have no choice but to take Hancock into consideration now that they will be moving into the Rochester market via airtran. Hancock can only keep improving itself.

More flights and competition + a new $63M airport renovation and expansion= Hancock becoming just as good if not better than Rochester International.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM

44 posts, read 79,738 times
Upstate Medical University building boom:

Upstate Medical University plans to launch $225M construction blitz in Syracuse | syracuse.com

Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajason View Post
How exciting, I am particularly excited about the Cancer Research Center and to hear there are five developers interested in the Kennedy Square site next to the Biotechnology Research Center. I am disappointed that the site needs approval by the State Legislature.

I also hope that negotiations succeed between Upstate and Community General to expand the scope of Upstate in the area and avoid those layoffs that Dr. Smith mentioned.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:11 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ese522 View Post
This is great news for Syracuse and especially for Hancock. I remember 2 years ago when JB dropped its once daily flight to Ft. Lauterdale. But noew we have another 2 flights a day to Orlando. Very, very, very interesting that JB moved the flights from Rochester to Syracuse, when Rochester is suppossed to be this "amazing airport" with these "amazing" prices...Im just saying. Southwest will have no choice but to take Hancock into consideration now that they will be moving into the Rochester market via airtran. Hancock can only keep improving itself.

More flights and competition + a new $63M airport renovation and expansion= Hancock becoming just as good if not better than Rochester International.
It goes to show the potential that Syracuse Hancock International Airport has, but I feel that an Airport Authority will make it even better. Hancock can run circles around GRIA, given the right tools.

I sense from the article that Jetblue is questioning its presence in Rochester in light of the Southwest-Airtran merger. Despite the article noting that Jeblue "does well" in Rochester (I sense, not well enough), I was surprised to hear that JB is third behind Airtran at GRIA. Perhaps JB will move its operations from GRIA to Syracuse Hancock International Airport becuase GRIA cannot support JB and SW. To be honest, I think Hancock can handle JB plus SW or some other low-cost ariline. Rochester has to contend with Buffalo's BNIA a short 60 miles away, Syracuse's catchment (service) area serves 2M people and extends north to Canada; the north country; the mohawk valley; southern tier and the finger lakes (including Rochester's eastern suburbs).

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ine_is_ha.html

A few more low-cost airlines at Hancock and Rochester is left in the dust. My assessment of the article could be totally wrong, but I sense that JB's long-term presence at GRIA is not assured.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-22-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 PM

97 posts, read 260,099 times
So this has nothing to do with local development, but SU Football defeats #20 West Virginia earlier today 19-14!!!! To be honest I dont know which is improving faster: the Syracuse Football Program OR the CNY Economy....?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM

580 posts, read 1,167,335 times
The football program, by a mile.

The economy looks great from where I stand, but upon returning from the Varsity (where I saw the team, in their jackets and ties, sing the alma mater and turn the West Virginia banner upside down), I've gotta say that it's been a long time since I've been this excited about Syracuse football. Each of their last five games is winnable, and they have a great shot at a bowl bid. Awesome.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
The football program, by a mile.

The economy looks great from where I stand, but upon returning from the Varsity (where I saw the team, in their jackets and ties, sing the alma mater and turn the West Virginia banner upside down), I've gotta say that it's been a long time since I've been this excited about Syracuse football. Each of their last five games is winnable, and they have a great shot at a bowl bid. Awesome.
Yeah, I was thinking 8-4, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went 10-2.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
High Tech Cleveland Startup Relocating to Syracuse; Plans to Add 100 Jobs

A suburban Cleveland firm that recently patented an indoor air quality device that kills airborne germs in medical facilities has relocated to downtown Syracuse. Haledyne, LLC, formerly of Beachwood, OH, will add four to 12 jobs at its new headquarters at the Tech Garden, a business incuabtor in the AXA Towers complex. If the company's newly commercialized device, which uses airflow technology and ultraviolet light to destroy bacteria and viruses is successful, Haledyne will establish a production and manufacturing facility in Onondaga County within the next three to 5 years.

In addition to receiving a $250,000 grant from Empire State Development, Haledyne is receiving funding from a Cleveland-based venture capital firm. For the first time in several years, it actually appears that colloberation between local and state economic officials as well as academia helped lure the startup firm. Further solidifying Haldeyn's continued presence in Syracuse is the company's partnership with St. Joseph's Hospital, a medical facility that will serve as a major testing site for the newly created devices. Haledyne cited the area's concentration of colleges and Center of Excellence as one of the key reasons it selected Syracuse over other cities in New York state.

Company website:
Haledyne, LLC. | UV-C Lighting Company :: Air sterilization solutions that prevent infection and disease

Local news coverage:
Ohio startup could bring 100 jobs to Central New York
Startup company arrives in Syracuse with plans to hire nearly 100 | syracuse.com

Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,735,436 times
I am admittedly somewhat hormonal at the moment :P but I could just cry at this! Syracuse is WONDERFUL and I'm so excited/overwhelmed with the attention that is being shown to it!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I am admittedly somewhat hormonal at the moment :P but I could just cry at this! Syracuse is WONDERFUL and I'm so excited/overwhelmed with the attention that is being shown to it!

And I'm sure you're aware of the groundbreaking for the new Centro bus transfer terminal downtown, as well as the $18 million dollar grant to revamp the train station in preparation for high speed rail. I see an awful lot of good things happening in this city's future.

As a future resident of Syracuse, I'm getting totally stoked about all this new development and attention as well.

Go Cuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area