U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599

Advertisements

Columnist Dick Case wrote an article in today's Post-Standard regarding construction activity in Syracuse. According to the mayor's office, 4,765 building permits ranging from minor property improvements to new construction were issued in 2008 with a total value of $201 million. This is the largest amount of construction activity in nearly a decade, with the exception being in 2005. Although major projects including the Mizpah Tower, Convention Center Hotel and the Hotel Syracuse redevelopment are on hold, construction is slated to begin on several promising developments in 2009 including:

1.) Washington Station
(New headquaters for engineering firm O'Brien & Gere)

2.) CNY Biotech Research Center
(Partnership between SUNY Upstate and ESF at site of Kennedy
Square, a former public housing development)

3.) Onondaga Creek Walk
(walking path to connect downtown's Armory Square with
Syracuse's lakefront and inner harbor)

4.) Kirk Hotel Redevelopment on West Fayette
(Conversion of upper floors into 13 market rate housing units)

Clearly this is not enough new construction, renovation and redevelopment activity, however given the deep recession the country is experiencing, it's good to see any movement particuarly in the city of Syracuse where politicians continue to stifle progress

In addition to the aforementioned projects, the article Syracuse Mayor Matt Driscoll expects big year of construction in the city - syracuse.com mentions numerous low income housing initiatives and renovations that aim to stablize the south side, Prospect Hill, and Park Avenue neighborhoods among others. Since there is already a preponderance of low income housing, I chose to focus on the projects that will be most visible and in the case of the CNY Biotech Center have the best chance of revitalizing the economy.

I will try to post some pictures of construction projects currently underway. Several members of the Buffalo forum have created a "Construction Update" thread which has been well received. Hopefully some of you can also post pictures or information as well.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-09-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
 
51,347 posts, read 73,709,413 times
Reputation: 11324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Columnist Dick Case wrote an article in today's Post-Standard regarding construction activity in Syracuse. According to the mayor's office, 4,765 building permits ranging from minor property improvements to new construction were issued in 2008 with a total value of $201 million. This is the largest amount of construction activity in nearly a decade, with the exception being in 2005. Although major projects including the Mizpah Tower, Convention Center Hotel and the Hotel Syracuse redevelopment are on hold, construction is slated to begin on several promising developments in 2009 including:

1.) Washington Station
(New headquaters for engineering firm O'Brien & Gere)

2.) CNY Biotech Research Center
(Partnership between SUNY Upstate and ESF at site of Kennedy
Square, a former public housing development)

3.) Onondaga Creek Walk
(walking path to connect downtown's Armory Square with
Syracuse's lakefront and inner harbor)

4.) Kirk Hotel Redevelopment on West Fayette
(Conversion of upper floors into 13 market rate housing units)

Clearly this is not enough new construction, renovation and redevelopment activity, however given the deep recession the country is experiencing, it's good to see any movement particuarly in the city of Syracuse where politicians continue to stifle progress

In addition to the aforementioned projects, the article Syracuse Mayor Matt Driscoll expects big year of construction in the city - syracuse.com mentions numerous low income housing initiatives and renovations that aim to stablize the south side, Prospect Hill, and Park Avenue neighborhoods among others. Since there is already a preponderance of low income housing, I chose to focus on the projects that will be most visible and in the case of the CNY Biotech Center have the best chance of revitalizing the economy.

I will try to post some pictures of construction projects currently underway. Several members of the Buffalo forum have created a "Construction Update" thread which has been well received. Hopefully some of you can also post pictures or information as well.
I was thinking that due to the current economic situation, this is actually a good amount of construction for the area. Heck, even when the general economic situation was much better, this amount of construction might been pretty high for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking that due to the current economic situation, this is actually a good amount of construction for the area. Heck, even when the general economic situation was much better, this amount of construction might been pretty high for the area.
If all 4 of those projects proceeded on schedule, I'm inclined to agree with you. I am concerned regarding Kennedy Square as the state has a spotty track record in completing projects on time. Further compounding the situation, is the vacant Kennedy Square complex which is still standing. With the state's budget and financial situation in flux, I'm wondering if the money pledged during Patterson's announcement in spring of 2008 is still available. Also, I haven't been able to locate architectural plans. The governor's press release stated design would take up to a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599

New Beacon Federal Headquarters - Bridge Street, East Syracuse

Jefferson Clinton Commons Mixed Use Project - Downtown Syracuse
Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0510.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0509.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0507.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599
Center of Excellence, Syracuse
New Holiday Inn Express - Widewaters Parkway, DeWitt

Holiday Inn Renovation / Expansion - Electronics Parkway, Liverpool
Attached Thumbnails
Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0407.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0506.jpg   Syracuse Construction Update-dscf0445.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
 
Location: DeWitt, NY
999 posts, read 1,625,654 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
If all 4 of those projects proceeded on schedule, I'm inclined to agree with you. I am concerned regarding Kennedy Square as the state has a spotty track record in completing projects on time. Further compounding the situation, is the vacant Kennedy Square complex which is still standing.
My understanding from folks who work for Upstate is that they're in the (extra-slow) process of removing the asbestos from the Kennedy Square buildings, which they of course have to do before demolishing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Saco, ME
176 posts, read 519,137 times
Reputation: 112
Thanks for the pictures Rollsroyce! The Jefferson Commons project seems to be coming along nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
Thanks for the pictures Rollsroyce! The Jefferson Commons project seems to be coming along nicely.

Thanks! When I initially saw the architectural rendering for the project, I wasn't very impressed. Now that development is well underway, I like the design. The developer recently updated their website, which shows a sweeping view of Armory Square from one of the condo unit windows. Pretty impressive.

Here is the link:
Jefferson Clinton Commons News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: NW District of Columb1a USA
382 posts, read 1,342,797 times
Reputation: 221
RR- thanks for the link. Looks like a great project and very appropriate for the location - especially having been designed to fit the curve in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 PM
 
1,544 posts, read 2,949,020 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
RR- thanks for the link. Looks like a great project and very appropriate for the location - especially having been designed to fit the curve in the street.
I only wish there were 20 other projects like this in Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top