U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:21 PM

890 posts, read 2,561,544 times

Advertisements

Would this be a good or bad idea? My family and I are planning a visit to this area during the summer, and we are considering the week of the 4th. We thought it would be interesting to see how other parts of the country celebrated this national holiday (we currently live in Northern California) and it also is a good time for us to go, business-wise.

My concern is that everything will be so crowded and jam-packed with tourists (which includes us) that we won't really be able to enjoy the ambience of the area. I've lived in small towns that are tourist destinations, and while the hustle and bustle can be invigorating, it can also wear thin quickly and become annoying. This trip means a lot to me, as I am originally from this area, and it is my first trip back in over 30 years! Naturally, I want it to be a special experience for me and my family. Can any of you give opinions/suggestions as to the wisdom of choosing this particular time to visit there? We have not booked anything yet, so we are flexible and can change the plan, but I don't want to wait too long. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:33 PM

282 posts, read 1,162,673 times
Where, specifically are you looking at going? It really depends on where you go.

I live in a very small town that has a 4th of July parade, carnival, fireworks, bake sales, etc....

Some place like Ithaca, they have a large fireworks display at (I know i'm gonna screw up the spelling of this...) Schoellkopf Field up at Cornell.

It just depends on where in the region that you're going to be visiting.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 AM

890 posts, read 2,561,544 times
Thanks for responding to my post. We will be staying in Skaneateles, or just right outside of it. My concern isn't finding something to do, as I've heard that several towns in the area have their own July 4th celebrations. I'm just afraid it will be a zoo, not only on the 4th, but that entire week, as well. I don't know how busy it gets, although I know mid-summer is when it's going to be the most crowded. I guess it's a trade off - we want to go when it's the warmest so we can enjoy the outdoors, but then you have to put up with the crowds, I guess. What town do you live in, Lauri?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:11 AM

254 posts, read 962,820 times
We always go home to visit in July..usually during July 4th and go to our cottage on Keuka..I have never noticed more crowds of people at that time of year in the towns (verses other summer weekends/times) If you plan to go swimming the water is warmer in August

Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 AM

944 posts, read 3,532,539 times
Yes, Skaneateles will be a zoo. Mo's and Bluewater will be packed with college kids on break, you'll see a lot of Florida tags (mine included), boaters will be out, people with summer homes will be in. Skaneateles becomes an entirely different beast during the summer. Parking is crazy.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 AM

282 posts, read 1,162,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Thanks for responding to my post. We will be staying in Skaneateles, or just right outside of it. My concern isn't finding something to do, as I've heard that several towns in the area have their own July 4th celebrations. I'm just afraid it will be a zoo, not only on the 4th, but that entire week, as well. I don't know how busy it gets, although I know mid-summer is when it's going to be the most crowded. I guess it's a trade off - we want to go when it's the warmest so we can enjoy the outdoors, but then you have to put up with the crowds, I guess. What town do you live in, Lauri?
Sorry, but I really don't know much about that area up there at all. Wish I could help you out more!

I live in a really little town called Candor. It's in Tioga County, but way south of where you're planning on going.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 AM

54 posts, read 258,323 times
go to geneseo NY they have a festival a free family concert etc

vist this website http://www.geneseony.com/

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,177,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Would this be a good or bad idea? My family and I are planning a visit to this area during the summer, and we are considering the week of the 4th. We thought it would be interesting to see how other parts of the country celebrated this national holiday (we currently live in Northern California) and it also is a good time for us to go, business-wise.

My concern is that everything will be so crowded and jam-packed with tourists (which includes us) that we won't really be able to enjoy the ambience of the area. I've lived in small towns that are tourist destinations, and while the hustle and bustle can be invigorating, it can also wear thin quickly and become annoying. This trip means a lot to me, as I am originally from this area, and it is my first trip back in over 30 years! Naturally, I want it to be a special experience for me and my family. Can any of you give opinions/suggestions as to the wisdom of choosing this particular time to visit there? We have not booked anything yet, so we are flexible and can change the plan, but I don't want to wait too long. Thanks in advance!
Do you realize that the 4th of July week 2007 was the only bad weather week from May to October in Upstate NY this past year? We had a major drought the rest of the summer. Most lawns were brown by September. Even stopped mowing for a few weeks. Too bad you didn't pick any other week in June, July, August, or September to visit.

This November and December weather is making up for the great weather May through October though. November was cloudier than average and December is much cloudier and snowier than average.

Not to get this thread too off topic, but....through the years I've come to see how important weather is during a first visit. I've seen totally different reactions to Upstate NY just based on weather. If it was warm/sunny most visitors will say they love it here. If it was cloudy/cold/rainy/snowy most visitors will not come away with a good impression of Upstate NY.

World class cities like Montreal are so impressive that weather doesn't factor in as much as it does with Upstate NY cities. That's why it's my belief that Syracuse/Rochester etc. need to become much more visually impressive. Visitors need to see modern buildings, a nice skyline, grand boulevards and greeted with a sophisticated population to be left with a favorable impression. Problem with trying to achieve this is that Upstate NY is held back by the State of New York's terrible business climate and Upstate New Yorkers fear of change.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-20-2007 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 PM

56 posts, read 313,222 times
I agree with what everyone says... Skaneateles will be a Zoo! It is a Zoo just in the summer I cannot imagine Skaneateles on the 4th!

Do what Melcat says and visit Keuka Lake... If you want PM me and I will send you links to places that rent out cottages on the lake nightly weekly etc...... Not too many people know or care about Keuka, but once you do you realize you have found a hidden GEM!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 PM

56 posts, read 313,222 times
If you don't stay here atleast try to visit the The outlet trail... There are a coipl places in Penn Yan you can easily park... http://www.winecountrycabins.com/parks/keuka-outlet

Image I yanked from a B&B site...

The outlet

The outlet trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area