Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My point exactly. It's not even about the people of color, but even unconnected Whites as well. I've seen this at the department I work at actually.

Yes, it is disturbing to read some of the comments on those posts, as they almost use the incidents to make themselves feel better about why they don't live in the city or something. It's also almost like it depends on who it involves in terms of the comments as well.

Again, while there is crime in Syracuse, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, because pretty much the overwhelming majority of it involves people that know each other some way or a particular negative lifestyle.
I completely agree with your assessment. The local media sensationalizes crime since its relatively inexpensive and easy to send a photog or backpack "journalist" 3 to 5 miles away from the tv station to shoot video and fill a newscast with 5 or 6 like stories. Enterprising reporting like investigating political corruption, ripoffs by local businesses, or fact check stories aimed at holding those in power accountable is viewed by cash strapped stations as non-necessity items since they require too much intelligence and manpower to produce.

In regards to crime, I have been through some of the tougher neighborhoods including South Avenue at night (heading home from Carrier Dome) and was never in danger. Further, I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity's Blitz Build on Seymour Street a few years ago when temps were in their 80s and was fine.

Regarding the Syracuse and TV station website posts, when a similar crime occurs in a white trash village, affluent suburb, or rural area, I notice there are so few posts. Thankfully this is not unique to Syracuse as I've noticed similar comments on newspaper and tv station websites in places like Charlotte, Hartford, Raleigh, Boston, Seattle and NYC.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 05-06-2009 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I completely agree with your assessment. The local media sensationalizes crime since its relatively inexpensive and easy to send a photog or backpack "journalist" 3 to 5 miles away from the tv station to shoot video and fill a newscast with 5 or 6 like stories. Enterprising reporting like investigating political corruption, ripoffs by local businesses, or fact check stories aimed at holding those in power accountable is viewed by cash strapped stations as non-necessity items since they require too much intelligence and manpower to produce.

In regards to crime, I have been through some of the tougher neighborhoods including South Avenue at night (heading home from Carrier Dome) and was never in danger. Further, I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity's Blitz Build on Seymour Street a few years ago when temps were in their 80s and was fine.

Regarding the Syracuse and TV station website posts, when a similar crime occurs in a white trash village, affluent suburb, or rural area, I notice there are so few posts. Thankfully this is not unique to Syracuse as I've noticed similar comments on newspaper and tv station websites in places like Charlotte, Hartford, Raleigh, Boston, Seattle and NYC.
Thank you. I thought it was just me, but you pretty much stated what I've been saying to people on the syracuse.com forums for a while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area