Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:11 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
People tend to ask the same questions in every area forum because they don't want to read every thread looking for an answer. They want people to answer their questions.

If you don't have time to put thought into a post or mention what the link is about, why would anyone bother clicking on the link when there are many vague links.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. I don't post here for money or to be seen as an expert in anything. The point that you won a contest is only brought up because you seem to be chasing that dragon by posting useless links for City-Data street cred. It has to do with your post being inauthentic. Most of your responses are not from a personal experience or point of view. People don't post questions here to have someone Google an answer for them. Chances are they already Googled the question and landed on this board. If they Google a topic and a story from Syracuse.com is in the search results, it will rank higher than City-Data, so they will see the story that way and won't click here to see it.
Many times when I post a link or article, it is rarely in response to a thread question, but is actually due to forum inactivity. When people have a question, many times I use a combination of either personal experience, other people's personal experience and/or research. So, you are really talking about two different things and making them one.

Again, many times the article or link will tell what it is all by itself. Meaning, when you post it, the topic will appear. I gave an example with the Empire Brewery post that mentions them creating 52 jobs. I wrote a summary of the article and guess what happened when I posted it? It gave an automatic summary of what the article is about. So, this is why I say that many of these posts are self explanatory, as the topic of the article appears the majority of the time.

Also, in terms of the similar threads, you also have to consider that there is a search functions and a lot of similar threads appear at the bottom of the page. This means that posters searching for information can do by doing a simple search. There have been other posters that same exact thing in terms of posting other threads as well as suggest using the search space.

Last, but not least, this isn't about C-D street cred at all. Ive already told posters that I'm a stat nerd and would read encyclopedias as a kid, plus I see this as a vehicle to help. Ironically, the hometown forum out of all of the others forums is where I've had issues, with literally a few exceptions. I've also pulled back in terms of posting in the Syracuse forum. So, what is this really all about?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-07-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I can't believe they're doing that... either Febreeze is a major sponsor and will be constructing some serious scent fans toward the audience or officials think they'll all smell like BO anyway and no one will notice the smell of Stank Lake as being much worse than thousands of sweaty drunks in late August.

And I completely agree with your assessment. (Sorry, CKH. I glaze right over your posts. They're repetitive without much opinion other than the same... "Everything's pretty good here. Other places are worse sometimes." And then either overly-broad and/or irrelevant links.) I don't post much because it's just a regurgitation of the daily news. Yes, by one poster. We live here; we know what's on the news. There's nothing to comment on or discuss. No opinions offered other than the same thing. "Everything's pretty good here. Other places are worse sometimes." <---paraphrasing, obviously. If someone says the economy is growing tepidly - too slowly - CKH - you'll say the economy is worse in Fresno. Nothing about how or why it is the way it is, here... just that other places have it worse. When I see posts like that, over and over, I mentally check out. It's kind of like if I mention to an acquaintance that we're trying to get rid of ice dams on the roof, and then they reply with something like "My friend in Alabama had an ice dam when he lived in Michigan. He called a guy. This is his number... but you should find a guy local to you. Here are the numbers of the first 3 ice-dam guys in the yellow pages."
This is fair. Ckh, I'm sorry but this is the truth. I strongly feel that if ANYONE in anyway, makes a comment which is negative, or even alludes to the negative, about Syracuse, 100% of the time you are the very next post with this type of response. I've seen it not only here, but even in the General Forum, or City vs City, when people say things like "I gotta get out of Upstate NY, the economy and the weather are taking its toll on me", I can bet my literal last dollar that the next post will be "Actually, our economy is on par with the (other place this person is looking) and weather is a personal preference" < paraphrasing.

After years of reading these same posts over and over and over and over, people mentally check out. I have. Hence the lull that you speak of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, I'm not posting that information for posters like yourself, but for other posters that may be looking for information on the area.

As for saying everything is good here, that is a lie and I'll tell you why. I've posted information on the per capita income gap between Whites and other groups in the area, information on poverty in the area, I started a thread on how people would rate city neighborhoods and gave an opinion on city neighborhoods, I've posted negative economic/employment information, I've talked about the lack of leadership in regards to government officials, I've posted information on issues within the SCSD, taxes in NY State and more. I'm not going to have time to write a personal article every time a topic is discussed and many times, I may also offer sources and sites as to why I say the things I say. I also will not apologize for posting positive news and information in regards to the area either.

Another thing is that many of the same types of questions/threads get posted on here many times to the point that you can really repost another thread many times over in terms of an answer. It also doesn't help that there are lulls in terms of new threads on this particular forum.

If I may be frank, I've actually had PM's where people have mentioned jealousy about winning the C-D Contest, as money and/or the contest has been mentioned by particular posters. I've also had a poster say that I "knew too much or everything" and I will look for that post, as I remember exactly when this poster actually posted this(Here it is: Syracuse Chat thread) There have been instances when a simple question was asked and goes from a simple question to an assumption of defending the area, in spite of the topics I've posted above. There have been assumptions about being a realtor, which I'm not and have never been. There have been times when a simple factual correction is seen as saying that there isn't anything wrong with the area, when it is as simple as looking it up online to see where that came from. All of this is among other things. So, let's not pretend that this is all about one poster "spammimg"/posting links or being a "Homer".
YES, you have posted these things, but if anyone else has an opinion that you disagree with, or is showcasing the negative, you spin it positive:

ckh Syracuse.com post: "Syracuse metro slowest growing since recession"
another poster: this is why I'm leaving here and moving to __________. The economy sucks.
ckhthankgod: Actually, ___________ economy terrible. ____________ worse than Syracuse. If you were in the _________ field, Syracuse is doing just fine.

So, for example (again) if you highlight how segregated NY is, and I come on here and say that I really liked how integrated it was in Raleigh/Durham, the VERY NEXT post will be about the problems in NC and how its really not as integrated as I think it is. This is a real life example, by the way. And I think what is the most frustrating thing is to ToeJam, myself and others, is that you've never even been there! or haven't been there in 20 years. You'll tell me about a place I lived in for 8 months and completely dismiss my opinion, which I would be saying from actual experience. Dismissed with Googled statistics, every time. Or Census bureau stats.

The fact that many others are telling you this and you continue to argue with them is telling me that you're not getting it.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This is fair. Ckh, I'm sorry but this is the truth. I strongly feel that if ANYONE in anyway, makes a comment which is negative, or even alludes to the negative, about Syracuse, 100% of the time you are the very next post with this type of response. I've seen it not only here, but even in the General Forum, or City vs City, when people say things like "I gotta get out of Upstate NY, the economy and the weather are taking its toll on me", I can bet my literal last dollar that the next post will be "Actually, our economy is on par with the (other place this person is looking) and weather is a personal preference" < paraphrasing.

After years of reading these same posts over and over and over and over, people mentally check out. I have. Hence the lull that you speak of.

YES, you have posted these things, but if anyone else has an opinion that you disagree with, or is showcasing the negative, you spin it positive:

ckh Syracuse.com post: "Syracuse metro slowest growing since recession"
another poster: this is why I'm leaving here and moving to __________. The economy sucks.
ckhthankgod: Actually, ___________ economy terrible. ____________ worse than Syracuse. If you were in the _________ field, Syracuse is doing just fine.

So, for example (again) if you highlight how segregated NY is, and I come on here and say that I really liked how integrated it was in Raleigh/Durham, the VERY NEXT post will be about the problems in NC and how its really not as integrated as I think it is. This is a real life example, by the way. And I think what is the most frustrating thing is to ToeJam, myself and others, is that you've never even been there! or haven't been there in 20 years. You'll tell me about a place I lived in for 8 months and completely dismiss my opinion, which I would be saying from actual experience. Dismissed with Googled statistics, every time. Or Census bureau stats.

The fact that many others are telling you this and you continue to argue with them is telling me that you're not getting it.
I'll say this and I'll leave this alone, I've also agreed with your assessment of how integrated Raleigh or the South is in general. I've never attacked posters, but have tried to debate. I could care less if people move and have congratulated them on their move. There's also times that I have been the first to initiate those post about the economy, etc.

Sometimes perception and reality aren't necessarily the same and after a while, because they are bait threads/posts, I leave them alone. C-D can be an odd forum you know....Like I've mentioned before, I have siblings and other friends, etc that may actually live in these places. So, I pass on that information from talking with them and research. For instance, in the thread looking for Italian markets in the Finger Lakes, I took note of a post asking if I had been to an establishment. I noticed that the place fit what this OP was looking for due to research and if you view the information, it is pretty obvious that it had what the OP is looking for.

There's also the problem of OP's not returning after information is offered.

I will also say that I am honestly skeptical about the motive of certain posts, like the thread you posted earlier on this thread, when I noticed information that didn't make sense and in turn, hijacked another person's thread. I also don't understand how a person will spend more time stating negative things about an area they admitted on a PM that they aren't going to move to, all while hardly ever posting in the forums of the areas they supposedly interested in. I've also gotten PM's about you from other posters. So, this also isn't just me thinking this way. Even the account then becomes suspicious as the other account with the same name has a slight difference. So, I guess we all have our antagonists or people that are skeptical of us on this forum.

I'll just let others post and just completely back off and let you, TJ and proulxfamily, among others, post. If no one responds at all, then I'll come in. Will that be better for everyone, including those that haven't said anything? That way, the experts can post and those not worthy wait their turn or not post at all.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I'll say this and I'll leave this alone, I've also agreed with your assessment of how integrated Raleigh or the South is in general. I've never attacked posters, but have tried to debate. I could care less if people move and have congratulated them on their move. There's also times that I have been the first to initiate those post about the economy, etc.

Sometimes perception and reality aren't necessarily the same and after a while, because they are bait threads/posts, I leave them alone. C-D can be an odd forum you know....Like I've mentioned before, I have siblings and other friends, etc that may actually live in these places. So, I pass on that information from talking with them and research. For instance, in the thread looking for Italian markets in the Finger Lakes, I took note of a post asking if I had been to an establishment. I noticed that the place fit what this OP was looking for due to research and if you view the information, it is pretty obvious that it had what the OP is looking for.

There's also the problem of OP's not returning after information is offered.

I will also say that I am honestly skeptical about the motive of certain posts, like the thread you posted earlier on this thread, when I noticed information that didn't make sense and in turn, hijacked another person's thread. I also don't understand how a person will spend more time stating negative things about an area they admitted on a PM that they aren't going to move to, all while hardly ever posting in the forums of the areas they supposedly interested in. I've also gotten PM's about you from other posters. So, this also isn't just me thinking this way. Even the account then becomes suspicious as the other account with the same name has a slight difference. So, I guess we all have our antagonists or people that are skeptical of us on this forum.
Look man, this is people offering you advice on your posting style. You can take it or leave it. Just don't be surprised by the lack of posters. I'm sure people have PM'ed you about me. I've gotten PM's about you, and none of them are nasty, they just basically say the same thing the 3 of us said here: you don't really accept that people have a different opinion than you. It kinda seems like if there are 4 negatives posts, you feel obligated to combat those posts with an equal number of positive posts. Again, you don't have to believe this. But the fact that 3 people went out of their day to let you know how they feel should tell you something.

The reason I don't post in other forums much is because I'm interested in so many areas. I'm open to moving almost anywhere, for new experiences, mostly. It would get tiring to post the same thing in 18 different areas, like ol' nep321 does. It also diminishes your credibility if you post the same thing in 18 different places. So, for me, I'd rather stick to the NY and NJ forums since I live here and work in NYS. When I'm decided on an official place, I'll probably reach out to some people there and post.

I don't pay much attention to people who accuse others of posting from multiple accounts. Anyone can do this, you could also do this, but I don't care because I argue the facts as the poster posts them.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Look man, this is people offering you advice on your posting style. You can take it or leave it. Just don't be surprised by the lack of posters. I'm sure people have PM'ed you about me. I've gotten PM's about you, and none of them are nasty, they just basically say the same thing the 3 of us said here: you don't really accept that people have a different opinion than you. It kinda seems like if there are 4 negatives posts, you feel obligated to combat those posts with an equal number of positive posts. Again, you don't have to believe this. But the fact that 3 people went out of their day to let you know how they feel should tell you something.

The reason I don't post in other forums much is because I'm interested in so many areas. I'm open to moving almost anywhere, for new experiences, mostly. It would get tiring to post the same thing in 18 different areas, like ol' nep321 does. It also diminishes your credibility if you post the same thing in 18 different places. So, for me, I'd rather stick to the NY and NJ forums since I live here and work in NYS. When I'm decided on an official place, I'll probably reach out to some people there and post.

I don't pay much attention to people who accuse others of posting from multiple accounts. Anyone can do this, you could also do this, but I don't care because I argue the facts as the poster posts them.
I'm going to say this an really let it go like Elsa in Frozen, I don't care if people have a different opinion and in fact, I've had people not agree with me and correct me. It comes with the territory and I think it is alright to debate as long as people aren't being jerks or whatever. I know people have their own opinions/experiences, etc. My thing is there is no reason to get upset or personal if someone asks a simple question or even mention a simple fact. This is actually why I post sources behind many posts, as I don't want to recklessly post information without showing where it comes from. Like I mentioned before, I have been backing off or trying to, more and more on the local forum anyway, unless there is a legit question, info that fits a thread, to let others respond or if no one else does.

Also, I've actually thought about a C-D get together at a restaurant or local spot, but I really don't know if that would be a good idea.

Now everybody, sing(wave your hands in the air): FROZEN - Let It Go Sing-along | Official Disney HD - YouTube

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'm going to say this an really let it go like Elsa in Frozen, I don't care if people have a different opinion and in fact, I've had people not agree with me and correct me. It comes with the territory and I think it is alright to debate as long as people aren't being jerks or whatever. I know people have their own opinions/experiences, etc. My thing is there is no reason to get upset or personal if someone asks a simple question or even mention a simple fact. This is actually why I post sources behind many posts, as I don't want to recklessly post information without showing where it comes from. Like I mentioned before, I have been backing off or trying to, more and more on the local forum anyway, unless there is a legit question, info that fits a thread, to let others respond or if no one else does.

Also, I've actually thought about a C-D get together at a restaurant or local spot, but I really don't know if that would be a good idea.

Now everybody, sing(wave your hands in the air): FROZEN - Let It Go Sing-along | Official Disney HD - YouTube
Frozen....reminds me of Upstate NY

I am letting it go, and like I said, it was just constructive criticism from a few people. I don't think you are a jerk or whatever, so don't go getting that impression.

I've come to realize one important thing here on C-D: most people live where they live for one (or more) of 3 basic reasons:

1. They're stuck there- divorced, house underwater, kids nearby, family nearby and that's really important.
2. They (or spouse) have a great job, or a govt job, or at least high paying job and it doesn't make sense to leave it
3. They genuinely love the area.

I mean, if you hate your job, hate the area, and have no family or house, who in their right mind would stay?

I'm pretty sure that you (and everyone else) falls into one of those 3 categories. If #1, I'd probably make the best of it too and defend the area to no end. No sense in putting down a place that you are stuck. If #2, well you're a lucky one and I'd probably stay in place for a great job. Many people have good jobs in NY and that's why they stick it out, with dreams and fantasies of moving someplace warmer or tropical or whatever. A good job and steady income also can make the bad seem good. If #3, then I'd post exactly as you do here. No arguments.

So, I get it. And that's why I'm not really wanting to argue with you. I'm not going to change anyone's mind because I'M frigid in NY or I'M tired of the taxes/tolls/govt, whatever. But I will post my opinion.

As for the C-D meetup, just tell me when and where (Dinosaur, hopefully) and I'd try to drive up to make it. On a weekend, of course. I'm not opposed to the idea and I like everyone on here. I also think it would humanize the situation and maybe we would understand each other better.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:

Its not worth it for me. Notice all the people who used to post here who post very infrequently now. I don't have to name them, but one is a really expensive car, one is short for Rebecca, and one is a French family name. All people who I enjoyed discussing things with and offered opposing or honest opinions. Its all kinda one-sided now.
*waves*

Not to derail this any further, but I'm still around - reading even if I'm not posting. I'm not as active as I used to be for many reasons. One being that I am so much busier in Philly than I was in Syracuse. Another being that there doesn't seem to be much substance to this forum anymore. Meaning that, people aren't posting asking questions and such that I can give my insight on. If I see a thread I can give advice on, I'm glad to participate. But they're just not happening as much as before. Yes there seems to be mundane reposting of Google links and Craigslist ads that anyone with a search engine could find, but when no one is here posting questions I guess I kind of understand. So anyway, I haven't totally disappeared and I'll participate when I see stuff I can help with

Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
*waves*

Not to derail this any further, but I'm still around - reading even if I'm not posting. I'm not as active as I used to be for many reasons. One being that I am so much busier in Philly than I was in Syracuse. Another being that there doesn't seem to be much substance to this forum anymore. Meaning that, people aren't posting asking questions and such that I can give my insight on. If I see a thread I can give advice on, I'm glad to participate. But they're just not happening as much as before. Yes there seems to be mundane reposting of Google links and Craigslist ads that anyone with a search engine could find, but when no one is here posting questions I guess I kind of understand. So anyway, I haven't totally disappeared and I'll participate when I see stuff I can help with
Thank you for understanding and you basically explained why I was posting stories or information to keep the forum somewhat active, as I figured some people weren't posting due to just being busy, changes in schedule, etc. Some people may sign on, but don't have time or really anything to add to the forum, because not too many threads were being created or some may use it to stay informed about the area for a variety of reasons on the go.

I also think that is why Sean created the chat thread due to similar reasons and it is/was received in a positive manner.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-10-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
On a related note, I think I'll be taking a hard look here shortly on whether or not to sell my house up there.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:16 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
I can't see this article any more, but does it take into account of state and local taxes? I don't know, but in some towns in MA, for example, CNY property taxes can be 500% or more (really!) higher than a house with same assessment in those MA towns. So, while the nominal price and P&I might be lower, the taxes would be a lot, a lot higher. Taxes are deductible from Federal taxes, however, so you are paying only a part of it.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area