Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times

Advertisements

I doubt that any apartment complex or property managed by a management firm will rent with no pet deposit but find the right private owner who has only a property or two - and you will most likely find one. My father and I owned a two family house in Outer University for many years. We did not rent to undergrads but we did allow one cat, one small dog or one of each. That decision was made on a case by case basis but we had several tenants with pets, never had issues and never charged an extra deposit.

Then there was the lady who called on our ad... and when I said yes we accept pets depending on circumstances she was thrilled. She explained that they had one elderly Lab who was well behaved, not incontinent etc. and I said fine. She told me they wanted to see the apartment right away and by the way... they also had five other dogs - that wouldn't be a problem - would it? Did I mention that she also informed me they'd need to pay half the first months rent at the end of the month after they moved in and the security deposit? No problem - they'd pay off a little bit of that each month "for the first year or two".

She was livid when I told her we weren't interested and said I had misrepresented myself when I said we accept pets. I am SO happy to no be a landlord!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
Also, a lot of times when a person lists "no" to pets on a website for renters you may be able to talk them into allowing your de-clawed cat. I had a friend with a cat who wanted to rent a house on that orange housing website but the owners had listed "no" to pets. However, once they realized that she would be a responsible renter and not cause them a lot problems they were willing to allow the cat. I think sometimes people list no to pets because they don't want people with mini zoo's or problem pets calling them.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
You guys are awesome - thanks so much!

We have located a homeowner in Hastings willing to accept our cat for a refundable $500. deposit only - which my husband really likes.

I am concerned about what the commute will be like in the winter to downtown Syracuse from Hastings. Any input you care to give would be much appreciated!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Hastings is much too far away! Really- you should look closer. :/

Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Hastings is much too far away! Really- you should look closer. :/
It's 25 miles - which my husband doesn't mind doing for the right house situation. Mapquest says it's a 35 minute drive - but would that change in winter or is that even really accurate??

Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM

I don't know to much about Hastings Town of Hastings I believe it falls in Oswego County Oswego County Tourism Home Page (http://visitoswegocounty.com/Default.aspx - broken link) which is a more rural and small town area. You would also be about a 35 minute drive to the city of Oswego on lake Ontario The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

There are people who do that commute from North country. In the Summer, Fall and Spring you will have a very nice drive with little traffic and easy commute. However, winter will affect your commute. That stretch of 81 from Syracuse to Watertown gets heavily hit with lake affect snow. I believe it gets closed off a couple of times a year (usually for a few hours) when the plows can't keep up with the snow fall.

But the bigger thing to keep in mind is that it's more likely things don't get shut down and your husband will have to still make the commute regardless of the snow. We have a wonderful plow system in this part of NY and are therefore prepared for heavy loads of snow. Most people who move to the Syracuse area are shocked at how things just seem to keep moving along like a regular day even while its snowing and we get several inches on the ground.

I currently live in NE TN and if somebody if says their "might" be snow everything starts closing. It's not like that in upstate NY. Upstate pretty much needs to get so loaded down with snow that the plows can't keep up with it before they are willing to close anything. Here's a funny little article on Syracuse snow Welcome to the Syracuse snow section It also has some common facts and driving in snow tips on the left hand side.

Therefore, if your husband doesn't mind driving in the snow then that commute won't be too bad but he would probably need to plan for a longer drive on snowy days.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Here is a video showing a winter Syracuse Commute. On a good note, it doesn't always look like this but you should plan for it to look like this a few a times each winter. It can look bad for people not used to it but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. Good tires really help

YouTube - Wintery Syracuse NY Commute

Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Here is a video showing a winter Syracuse Commute. On a good note, it doesn't always look like this but you should plan for it to look like this a few a times each winter. It can look bad for people not used to it but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. Good tires really help

YouTube - Wintery Syracuse NY Commute
Love the video, thanks Becky!! The music was cool too

Okay, okay, you talked me out of it (all of you ) We are passing on the house in Hastings. My husband is not happy with me, but I just don't feel right about it for several reasons, not just the lake effect snow. Back to the drawing board...

Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Hastings is VERY rural. If you like that then great but there are so many choice that are.... well... more cosmopolitan, closer to Syracuse and have less snow. I haven't found completely a curate records but I think they average about 185 inches of snow per year vs. the 125 or so we see in Syracuse.

Winter driving:

1) Get snow tires on all four wheels no matter what kind of car you drive. Get them from a place like tirerack.com or its equivalent and pay the $30 or so per wheel to buy them premounted on cheap steel wheels. It's easier, cheaper and better for the tires to leave your summer tires on the original rims and just swap wheels in fall and spring instead of unmounting and remounting the tires every time.

2) After winter starts go find a huge empty parking lot that has hard packed and slippery/icy conditions - maybe on a Sunday. Speed up, hit the brakes suddenly or make a sharp turn as though you were avoiding an obstacle. Knowing how your car reacts under such conditions is the key to safe and happy winter driving.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's 25 miles - which my husband doesn't mind doing for the right house situation. Mapquest says it's a 35 minute drive - but would that change in winter or is that even really accurate??
I see that you've decided to not live in Hastings but just to put the last nail in that coffin - lol - it really is very remote. I've never been in Hastings, honestly, but have lived here (born in Syracuse and raised in different areas of the city itself, its suburbs, and even some of the closer rural areas) my entire life. That says something to me, really... I've never had reason to go to Hastings and would be very reluctant to even visit someone who lived there. The price was probably veryvery inexpensive but there's good reason for that... it's so far removed from the Syracuse hub that people won't pay much to live there. No price would incite me to live so far away, especially since roads aren't kept up as well outside of the direct metro area. Hastings is most definitely outside of that.

Otherwise, good luck finding the perfect home for you in our beautiful area! If you're able to drive around a bit, before moving, that would be ideal. The best rentals are those with For Rent signs hanging up in the window or listed on the bulletin boards are churches and grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area