U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm pretty confident I know the answer to this question - but I am willing to be proven wrong if I am.

My husband DOES NOT want to pay a non-refundable pet fee in any place we rent in Syracuse. He really thinks it's possible to convince someone to rent to us without one. Our cat is fixed and declawed so he just cannot believe we really have to pay a pet deposit. PLEASE, give me YOUR opinions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,697,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, I'm pretty confident I know the answer to this question - but I am willing to be proven wrong if I am.

My husband DOES NOT want to pay a non-refundable pet fee in any place we rent in Syracuse. He really thinks it's possible to convince someone to rent to us without one. Our cat is fixed and declawed so he just cannot believe we really have to pay a pet deposit. PLEASE, give me YOUR opinions!!
It's possible to find apartments with refundable pet deposits, but most places charge a pet fee or pet deposit or both. The apartment I'm about to move from had an extra month's rent as pet deposit (granted, I have a large dog) but it's refundable.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,976,044 times
Unless your cat also has a catheter AND wears a diaper, just in case, I don't see it happening. And even then...

When I think of cats ruining an apartment, it's not the claws that worry me... it's the urine. There's no getting rid of that stench unless you burn the place down. lol

Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Unless your cat also has a catheter AND wears a diaper, just in case, I don't see it happening. And even then...

When I think of cats ruining an apartment, it's not the claws that worry me... it's the urine. There's no getting rid of that stench unless you burn the place down. lol
Thanks, I agree! I'm going to turn the whole project of looking for a place to rent to him since he thinks such a landlord can be found!

I told him the only way I see someone NOT asking for a pet deposit is if they know you and your cat, and since we don't know anyone in Syracuse how in the heck is THAT supposed to happen??

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
It's possible to find apartments with refundable pet deposits, but most places charge a pet fee or pet deposit or both. The apartment I'm about to move from had an extra month's rent as pet deposit (granted, I have a large dog) but it's refundable.
Would you be willing to DM me the name of the complex?

So, you're saying you WILL get your month of rent deposit back at the end of the lease if your dog didn't damage anything? I thought most places these days keep the deposit for cleaning when you move?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM

357 posts, read 837,006 times
You may have an easier time finding a place to rent that doesn't require a pet deposit from a private renter rather than a complex. I know a few people who have found really wonderful homes to rent off the following site Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing Just make sure you click on "non-student housing" the site tells you wether or not they allow pets or if its negotiable. I think if it says negotiable than that means you have a little wiggle room to try and talk them out of a pet deposit especially if its just a cat. The houses/condos/flats for rent on here can be found all over the greater Syracuse area. Most of them have photos, I was just on the site the other day trying to help a friend find a place to rent and saw a lakeside cottage that was too cute.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:06 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,697,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would you be willing to DM me the name of the complex?

So, you're saying you WILL get your month of rent deposit back at the end of the lease if your dog didn't damage anything? I thought most places these days keep the deposit for cleaning when you move?
I'm currently renting a 2 bedroom flat in Eastwood.

The Rugby Square complex, off Teall Ave, allows pets for a monthly fee I believe.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,976,044 times
Morris Management's Town House East in Manlius allows animals as well... even large dogs, as long as they're well behaved. It says small dogs only but most people who lived there when we did had full-sized dogs, if not oversized. LOL

Morris Management -* Town House East Apartments, Manlius, NY (http://www.morrisapartments.com/location/townhouse.htm - broken link)

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
You may have an easier time finding a place to rent that doesn't require a pet deposit from a private renter rather than a complex. I know a few people who have found really wonderful homes to rent off the following site Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing Just make sure you click on "non-student housing" the site tells you wether or not they allow pets or if its negotiable. I think if it says negotiable than that means you have a little wiggle room to try and talk them out of a pet deposit especially if its just a cat. The houses/condos/flats for rent on here can be found all over the greater Syracuse area. Most of them have photos, I was just on the site the other day trying to help a friend find a place to rent and saw a lakeside cottage that was too cute.
Thank you so much - this was very helpful!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,074,417 times
I would check out this listing in the village of Fayetteville. According to the Craigslist posting, pets are negotiable, therefore you may avoid a pet fee. This is a 3 bedroom 3 bath, 1,700 SF apartment in Fayetteville's historic district.

3 Bedroom in Historic District (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/1180905479.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or