U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-05-2009, 01:47 AM

24 posts, read 51,983 times
Smile Clarendon Vs. Hidden Valley

Hi, guys.

Which one is better, Clarendon vs. Hidden Valley? I am moving up to Syracuse next month, as a PhD student. I am planning to pick one of them. If you guys have better recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 hour ago)

27,076 posts, read 30,575,581 times
I would go with Clarendon. My sister lives there and likes it.

Unread 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks a lot.

I heard the utility would be a big issue in the Clarendon in the winter. The advantage of Hidden Valley is the utility included.

Unread 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 hour ago)

27,076 posts, read 30,575,581 times
I understand. It just seems like Clarendon is taken care of better, in my opinion. Here are some sites to check out if you want to look at more apartments: Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

syracuse apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - College Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Vincent Apartments

Campus Hill Apartments : : the Cornerstone of Student Housing (http://www.campushill.com/main.shtml - broken link)

http://www.communitysite.com/Maplewood/index.htm

Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

University Area Apartments

Unread 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM

19 posts, read 31,719 times
yeah, definitely check of those links above, especially the second one from the bottom, as its a venue that allows some of the areas smaller landlords to advertise (who often have better deals than complexes). as someone who has recently graduated SU, heres some advice- campus hill apartments and university hill apartments predominately rent to undergrads- so the prices tend to be higher than average, and if you are in a building with multiple apartments, more likely than not, your co-inhabitants will be undergrads, and not to knock them, but you'd better be ok with somewhat noisy people above and below you...

a lot of the grad students that i know live on fellows ave and allen street, perhaps somewhere to check out? it's close enough that you can walk or bike on a good day, but can drive or take the bus in the dead of winter... the apartments are a bit cheaper, have a ton more character, and you are close to the grad student hangouts on westcott street.

i grabbed these two from c-list:

Two bedroom Apartment (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/1251654425.html - broken link)

http://http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/1254450778.html (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/1254450778.html - broken link)

anyhow... any other SU related questions....hit me up, and good luck with your Ph.D.... you picked a great place to study, welcome to the 'cuse!

Unread 07-06-2009, 07:55 AM

686 posts, read 730,335 times
I agree that Fellows and Allen are good bets - I used to own and live in a two family house on Fellows. These are typically spacious three BR flats but be sure to check with national grid on what the averaged monthly utility bills have been for the past 12 months before you sign a lease. The upper flats are easier to heat than the lower ones and units with replacement windows and newer furnaces can be affordable to heat but some of the old units have hideously high utility bills.

Unread 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks, Brickroad. No apt on Fellow and Allen seems open right now from those websties. Do you think If I should wait? Will it be too late to hunt for an apartment in the August?

Thanks, again.

Unread 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Hi, Phaelon56, Thank you Right, the utility is my big concern. Someone told me the average of an apt would be $120-$150 in a building. Would the price of an apt in a house be more expensive?

Thanks so much.

Unread 07-06-2009, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 31,719 times
here's a one bedroom that i found off orange housing in a pretty good location...sorry about the awkward formatting, i just did a simple copy-paste, and that's what my computer gave me...

8/3/09 740 South Beech Map 1 mile Yes $460 Extr No D.N. Drucker. Ltd. 315-445-1229 Email Small 1 BR,living room, kitchen w/stove & refrig, 1 Bathroom w/ shower, electric heat, street pkg.,laundromat across street, lease, sec. deposit

the fact it has electric heat is a big plus in my book, as it ought to be cheaper to heat in the winter. the landlord appears to be the same one (Drucker) that was highly recommended in the unpublished rentals post...

you're still close to a busline here, in the grad student-friendly westcott area

if you think that you're interested, i can snap you an exterior photo of the place, it's literally around the corner from the coffee shop where i go to do work most afternoons, but i'd definitely ask the landlord for some interior shots- these older places can vary widely in quality.

oh and the 8/3/09 in the bold section is the date the unit is available

Unread 07-06-2009, 01:29 PM

686 posts, read 730,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroad View Post
here's a one bedroom that i found off orange housing in a pretty good location...sorry about the awkward formatting, i just did a simple copy-paste, and that's what my computer gave me...

8/3/09 740 South Beech Map 1 mile Yes $460 Extr No D.N. Drucker. Ltd. 315-445-1229 Email Small 1 BR,living room, kitchen w/stove & refrig, 1 Bathroom w/ shower, electric heat, street pkg.,laundromat across street, lease, sec. deposit

the fact it has electric heat is a big plus in my book, as it ought to be cheaper to heat in the winter. the landlord appears to be the same one (Drucker) that was highly recommended in the unpublished rentals post...
I'm not so sure about electric heat but in a 3 BR house with modern furnace and central AC.... one BR typically closed off much of the time and the heat at 55 during the day and 62 when I'm home... my "budget plan" monthly payment is currently $182. That's $182 per month every month all year long. Granted - I'm providing heating/cooling for 1450 square feet if I subtract the footage for that closed off BR.

I think a 1 BR apartment in a building should be a budget of $100 - $120 depending on how warm or cool you keep it and not much more if it's a 1 BR in a house.

How much space do you need? I just spotted a "For Rent" sign for a 2 or 3 BR unit in a multi family house at the corner of Euclid Ave and Euclid Terrace. It's three doors past the Westcott Street intersection, is not a "student slum" building and has been impeccably maintained on the outside for as long as I can remember (i.e. the last 45 years or so). I'll get the phone number tonight as I have to go by there after work on an errand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area