U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,894 posts, read 37,877,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifled View Post
1) I do not see why the Red Sox would have any sizeable base since Boston is not in state, not close by, and you do not get their games on the air.

2) Could you rank in order and percent the splits for
-MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA?
Actually, Boston is only about 4 hours from Syracuse. So, it's almost as close as NYC is to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,240,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Boston is only about 4 hours from Syracuse. So, it's almost as close as NYC is to the area.

And back when I was growing up (born in 75) they showed alot of Sox games on cable--I might even say as many as Yankee games. Today not so much but back then yes. And remember Syracuse hasn't been a Yankee farm team in a long long time, so its not like the Yankees are the traditional "home", if anything up until recently the home team could have been considered the Blue Jays

Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
1) I do not see why the Red Sox would have any sizeable base since Boston is not in state, not close by, and you do not get their games on the air.

2) Could you rank in order and percent the splits for
-MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA?

See my post above for #1

as far as number 2 I would say

MLB:
Yankees 50%
Red Sox 40%
Mets 10%

NFL:
Giants 55%
Bills 20%
Patriots 20%
Jets 5%

NHL:
Rangers 40%
others: 60%

NBA:
couldn't guess since not a fan

Old 08-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
And back when I was growing up (born in 75) they showed alot of Sox games on cable--I might even say as many as Yankee games. Today not so much but back then yes. And remember Syracuse hasn't been a Yankee farm team in a long long time, so its not like the Yankees are the traditional "home", if anything up until recently the home team could have been considered the Blue Jays
Yup...I mentioned how I would watch Red Sox games from WSBK TV38 in Boston when Newchannels Cable used to carry the station. Heck, I remember watching Montreal Expos games from CKWS 11 from Kingston, ON too. If you had a TV without cable and a decent antenna, you could get some of those games on this French speaking station I could get sometimes. I would watch CFL games from that station too.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 AM

39 posts, read 9,007 times
I can't see Syracuse or anywhere in NY being FOURTY percent Red Sox fans.
This is New York State...NOT MA.

New York is the closer market, the bigger market, and it's in the same state.
You are WAY more tied to NY economically, culturally, and politically...why would some smaller town out of the state have close to the same amount of influence in sports fanabses?

Makes NO sense.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

You are WAY more tied to NY economically, culturally, and politically...why would some smaller town out of the state have close to the same amount of influence in sports fanabses?

Makes NO sense.
Actually, places like Albany and Syracuse are the same distance from Boston and NYC. So, it's not impossible for that to happen.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Makes NO sense.

When has anything in CNY or Syracuse made sense?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 PM

350 posts, read 515,780 times
Quote:

Makes NO sense.
You also need to remember that there has always been a lot of issues that divide Upstate and downstate. They are very different areas when it comes to economics, city vs rural, and more.

Downstater's don't really support upstate teams such as the Buffalo Bills or college teams. Why should Upstate support downstate teams?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 PM

39 posts, read 9,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
You also need to remember that there has always been a lot of issues that divide Upstate and downstate. They are very different areas when it comes to economics, city vs rural, and more.

Downstater's don't really support upstate teams such as the Buffalo Bills or college teams. Why should Upstate support downstate teams?
Why would upstaters support Boston teams?
MA'ers don't support upstate NY teams...they also don't share the same state and aren't tied economically, poltically, and culturally as a CNY would be to the nation's biggest market and one that is closer IN state.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:10 AM

162 posts, read 153,228 times
Quote:
can't see Syracuse or anywhere in NY being FOURTY percent Red Sox fans.

Makes NO sense.
It wasn't necessarily supposed to make sense, it was just one person's observation. I don't know about 40%, but if you spend some time here you will notice that there are a good number of Boston/New England fans. The Ugly Duckling in Manlius is an all Boston bar, with all Boston memorabilia on the walls. That's just an example, I'm sure there are others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area