U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM

15 posts, read 52,352 times

Advertisements

Husband will be a graduate in Decemeber with his bachelors in Accounting. We're hoping to head up to Syracuse in July (for good). A few questions about the area though:

1. With the housing and median income being so low, will he still reach his starting pay potential? Or is the median only low because only 23% have bachelors? (I do not plan on finishing my degree, so don't take offense to this) He's projected to make around $40,000 starting off and I do see 'ads' for this pay in his field but I want to hear from maybe other accountants. He'll have a year of bookkeeping experience under his belt by then and be working on his masters to sit for the CPA exam.

2. Crime stastics provided by city data are staggering, what's the deal with that? Anything we should know?

3. That's a lot of snow for one not-so-mountainy winter! We're extremely pleased with the numbers indicated, but we're also from Houston, Texas and have no clue how to survive in the snow. Anything you feel like sharing?

Thanks & hope to see you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM

625 posts, read 1,633,533 times
I see no reason why your husband couldn't achieve his income potential, especially with experience and an advanced degree

The crime stats are subjective. Unless you are living in a very low income/hood type area you will have no issues with crime at all

The snow is not as bad as you might perceive. Our DOT is well equipped and well experienced with the snow.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
[quote=BAHOWELL;10708615]Husband will be a graduate in Decemeber with his bachelors in Accounting. We're hoping to head up to Syracuse in July (for good). A few questions about the area though:

1. With the housing and median income being so low, will he still reach his starting pay potential? Or is the median only low because only 23% have bachelors? (I do not plan on finishing my degree, so don't take offense to this) He's projected to make around $40,000 starting off and I do see 'ads' for this pay in his field but I want to hear from maybe other accountants. He'll have a year of bookkeeping experience under his belt by then and be working on his masters to sit for the CPA exam.

2. Crime stastics provided by city data are staggering, what's the deal with that? Anything we should know?

3. That's a lot of snow for one not-so-mountainy winter! We're extremely pleased with the numbers indicated, but we're also from Houston, Texas and have no clue how to survive in the snow. Anything you feel like sharing?

Thanks & hope to see you soon![/quote/]

No offense, but "staggering"? Look at similarly sized cities like Flint MI, Dayton OH, Hartford CT, Providence RI and many others. It's actually not that bad. Yes, there are areas that are rougher than others, but what city of any decent size in this country doesn't have that? Here's some more info. on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...,000_-_250,000)

As for the snow, don't worry. Snow is taken care of in a timely manner in this area due to the equipment we and DPW's have here. So, just go slow and you should be fine.

Also, with your first question, Syracuse is an area where if you have just a "decent" job, you can live well around here. While the city has a blue collar nature to it and manufacturing has taken a hit in the area and country, it has always had the higher education presence due to Syracuse University, LeMoyne College, Onondaga Community College and Upstate Medical Center(aka University Hospital). So, there is a balance. You can live in some suburbs with affordable housing, that are safe and that are in good school districts. Many school districts have a wide range in terms of housing prices. So, can say find houses in the North Syracuse school district that range from say 70-400,000 and find them in decent to very nice neighborhood that is safe.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM

81 posts, read 205,946 times
In response to the OP...

1. I can't speak directly to this as it isn't my field and I haven't lived in Syracuse long enough to know for certain. Off the cuff though...it doesn't sound like an unusual salary for an accountant here.

2. I don't know the crime stats for the city of Syracuse...but I can say that when I looked into the suburbs' crime stats I could count on 1 hand the amount of murders, rapes, etc. in almost every one yearly (some were zero). I've lived in FL, also been to Houston before...you aren't going to feel unsafe here.

3. Snow isn't much of a thing here...and I'm an ex-Floridian. They get out early and have the roads pretty much perfect (even the side roads) by 7-8am(though in a really, really bad snowfall you will need to be extra careful as it doesnt take long to get a second coat). It does get fairly cold, no doubt...but you (being from a hot place as well) might also appreciate the pleasant weather here the rest of the year that doesn't require AC for 9-10 months a year. I almost forgot what it was like to hang out outside without actually sweating (and I'm not a big blob by any means).

Anyway...best of luck to you and your husband!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:40 AM

11 posts, read 24,478 times
BAHOWELL--

Like a couple others, I can't really help you with the accounting thing. I do, however, have a friend who just got his accounting degree and is job hunting, so if you PM me I could put you in touch with him to get a feel for what it's looking like for him in that job market.

I wouldn't consider Syracuse's crime staggering either. If I remember correctly, it's projected around a 500 on city-data with about 16-22 murders a year. Not great, but it could be a lot worse. I grew up in some of the less desirable areas of Syracuse and never felt unsafe...then again that was the 80's, and Syracuse has changed some, but not a whole lot. Just avoid living the south side and parts of the east side and you should be fine. What type of area are you looking to live in? A more urban type or suburban? There are a lot of great villages around Syracuse that are great places to live. If your husband lands a 40K a year job, you'll pretty much be able to live anywhere you want within reason.

Living in Nashville now, when I hear I'm within 3 miles of a bad area I'm a little uneasy. Maybe because Forbes rated Nashville the 9th worst city per capita for crime. But in Syracuse, I realized that I was half a mile from a 'bad' area and never felt unsafe/realized it. Syracuse, because of hills maybe, or perhaps something I'm not seeing, is pretty separated--and I don't mean in a bad way. It just has it's sections of town that pretty much just stay within themselves. Tipp Hill (a pretty good area) is right up the hill from some of the bad areas I've been talking about, but it seems like it's on another planet. Maybe that's just me though, others may feel differently. If you aren't into drugs, don't buy illegal guns, and don't walk around those weird areas at night you should be just fine. One time I flew out of my old house in Fairmount and forgot to lock my door or shut my garage door, but didn't worry. And, when I came back, lo and behold, nothing was missing. I wouldn't make a practice out of that, but still, I think you get the point.

Being from Syracuse and living there 25 years, and living in Oklahoma for college, and Nashville after that, the weather will be a bit for you to get used to. My girlfriend is from Oklahoma and she considers 50 degrees cold, while I'm wearing shorts. Oddly, the hottest she has ever been was when she was in Syracuse, and it was an 88 degree day...the humidity can be brutal. I think you might be better suited to it, as I think being near the gulf you get a lot more humidity than in Oklahoma. When it snows the Cuse does a great job of clearing the roads, but you've got to be aware of black ice. Just don't slam your brakes, pump them gently while slowing/coming to stops. But it does get really cold, and with our humidity being pretty high, it feels even colder. And, be aware that winter sometimes doesn't end until April. You're still going to see grey skies, dirty and old snow on the sides of the roads, and occasional snowfall. Snow in May isn't all that uncommon, but it's not annual by any means. I would often find that the weather would affect my mood; having winter for roughly 6 months a year can get a little depressing. So be aware of that aspect.

Syracuse is a wonderful, blue collar--yet reasonably educated, family oriented area. There's a lot of great history, and many of us are trying to make an even better future for it, even if our local gov't does its best to thwart that. I hope you and your husband really like it. After my girlfriend gets done with grad school, we'll be moving right back to the Cuse and I can't wait. Syracusans are generally simple people by choice who just want good lives for their families. And the region is wonderful; the Fingerlakes (west of the Cuse) are chocked full of wineries, small towns and festivals, Lake Ontario is an hour north, the Adirondack Mountains are just east, and you're within 5 hours of NYC, Boston, Philly, Niagara Falls, Montreal and Toronto. Six hours from DC. There are festivals going on all the time all over the place. Syracuse University sports really brings the city together, especially when we're doing well. There are good schools in the area as well.

I know I've written quite a bit, but I love the Cuse and could talk about it all day. If you have any other questions, please, feel free to ask on here or PM if desired. I'd be happy to talk about other stuff I didn't cover, like FOOD! Maybe when we move home we'll run into you...I find Texans to be wonderful people.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 AM

625 posts, read 1,633,533 times
Just to add to what Six stated, which was a wonderful post. I think you'll love living here. As already stated, yes there are some rough areas but nothing that compares to other parts of the country. Having visited some really bad sections of LA for example while working I can honestly say that I would walk down the street of any section in Syracuse without almost any fear of violence as opposed to parts of LA or even Vegas where you couldnt pay me enough to do the same. And with your income you'll have great options of where to live, and I know many feel its over rated, but I would suggest the northern suburbs--Cicero, Clay, etc. The homes are all affordable, the citizenry is laid back, honest, "good people" sort. As far as the weather, keep in mind we have events for that type of weather so it wont be like you are going to be trapped inside the house all winter long if you dont chose to be. CNY is truly a winter wonderland, and you'll come to appreciate the snow. I dont know about the rest but I am eagarly awaiting that first snow fall--I know, boo-hiss, but I love the snow and think its a beautiful time of year.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siz33 View Post
BAHOWELL--

Like a couple others, I can't really help you with the accounting thing. I do, however, have a friend who just got his accounting degree and is job hunting, so if you PM me I could put you in touch with him to get a feel for what it's looking like for him in that job market.

I wouldn't consider Syracuse's crime staggering either. If I remember correctly, it's projected around a 500 on city-data with about 16-22 murders a year. Not great, but it could be a lot worse. I grew up in some of the less desirable areas of Syracuse and never felt unsafe...then again that was the 80's, and Syracuse has changed some, but not a whole lot. Just avoid living the south side and parts of the east side and you should be fine. What type of area are you looking to live in? A more urban type or suburban? There are a lot of great villages around Syracuse that are great places to live. If your husband lands a 40K a year job, you'll pretty much be able to live anywhere you want within reason.

Living in Nashville now, when I hear I'm within 3 miles of a bad area I'm a little uneasy. Maybe because Forbes rated Nashville the 9th worst city per capita for crime. But in Syracuse, I realized that I was half a mile from a 'bad' area and never felt unsafe/realized it. Syracuse, because of hills maybe, or perhaps something I'm not seeing, is pretty separated--and I don't mean in a bad way. It just has it's sections of town that pretty much just stay within themselves. Tipp Hill (a pretty good area) is right up the hill from some of the bad areas I've been talking about, but it seems like it's on another planet. Maybe that's just me though, others may feel differently. If you aren't into drugs, don't buy illegal guns, and don't walk around those weird areas at night you should be just fine. One time I flew out of my old house in Fairmount and forgot to lock my door or shut my garage door, but didn't worry. And, when I came back, lo and behold, nothing was missing. I wouldn't make a practice out of that, but still, I think you get the point.

Being from Syracuse and living there 25 years, and living in Oklahoma for college, and Nashville after that, the weather will be a bit for you to get used to. My girlfriend is from Oklahoma and she considers 50 degrees cold, while I'm wearing shorts. Oddly, the hottest she has ever been was when she was in Syracuse, and it was an 88 degree day...the humidity can be brutal. I think you might be better suited to it, as I think being near the gulf you get a lot more humidity than in Oklahoma. When it snows the Cuse does a great job of clearing the roads, but you've got to be aware of black ice. Just don't slam your brakes, pump them gently while slowing/coming to stops. But it does get really cold, and with our humidity being pretty high, it feels even colder. And, be aware that winter sometimes doesn't end until April. You're still going to see grey skies, dirty and old snow on the sides of the roads, and occasional snowfall. Snow in May isn't all that uncommon, but it's not annual by any means. I would often find that the weather would affect my mood; having winter for roughly 6 months a year can get a little depressing. So be aware of that aspect.

Syracuse is a wonderful, blue collar--yet reasonably educated, family oriented area. There's a lot of great history, and many of us are trying to make an even better future for it, even if our local gov't does its best to thwart that. I hope you and your husband really like it. After my girlfriend gets done with grad school, we'll be moving right back to the Cuse and I can't wait. Syracusans are generally simple people by choice who just want good lives for their families. And the region is wonderful; the Fingerlakes (west of the Cuse) are chocked full of wineries, small towns and festivals, Lake Ontario is an hour north, the Adirondack Mountains are just east, and you're within 5 hours of NYC, Boston, Philly, Niagara Falls, Montreal and Toronto. Six hours from DC. There are festivals going on all the time all over the place. Syracuse University sports really brings the city together, especially when we're doing well. There are good schools in the area as well.

I know I've written quite a bit, but I love the Cuse and could talk about it all day. If you have any other questions, please, feel free to ask on here or PM if desired. I'd be happy to talk about other stuff I didn't cover, like FOOD! Maybe when we move home we'll run into you...I find Texans to be wonderful people.
I second and co-sign off of all of this.

Also, Syracuse is a "diverse" city with plenty of festivals like Festa Italiano, Latin Fest, Juneteenth, Oktoberfest, Irish Fest, Jewish Festival, Polish Festival, A Taste of Syracuse and many, many more.

Our Fall is the best time of year, with beautiful scenery and plenty of Apple Orchards to enjoy.

We also have a very underrated arts scene too. We have a Symphony, Opera, plays at Syracuse stage and many other arts based venues: Syracuse Arts Net Calendar

Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,190,331 times
Quote:
BAHOWELL--

Snow in May isn't all that uncommon, but it's not annual by any means. I would often find that the weather would affect my mood; having winter for roughly 6 months a year can get a little depressing. So be aware of that aspect.
I was going to rep you until I read the above comment.

I really wish people would stop trying to make it seem like May is an awful month in Upstate NY. It has only snowed two times in May at the Syracuse Airport in the last 50 years that I'm aware of. So yes, I'd say two times in a lifetime IS uncommon!

Which 6 months do you consider winter in Syracuse?

I consider winter the months of December, January, February and March.

In early November half the leaves are still on the trees in my area. I'm still raking leaves in late November. So I consider November still Autumn.

April is winter too I guess by your estimation. So it is winter when the Daffodils are blooming and leaves are starting to appear on trees? Snow melts on the ground within 24 hours after March 20th due the high sun angle. That means any snow that falls in April is gone really fast. I consider April a spring month.

If you consider it winter if it can snow in that month, than it is winter in Denver for 10 months out of the year. Denver averages snow in April, May, June, September and October.

Denver Snowfall Statistics 1882-2009
DENVER WSFO AP, COLORADO - Climate Summary

Old 09-12-2009, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 24,478 times
Bella--haha, sorry---my point being is that Syracuse winters can be long...especially for warm-weather outta towners! Glad to hear it's shorter than I imagined! I just remember a lot of springs where I thought 'man alive, will it ever be nice out again?!?'

Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,190,331 times
Quote:
Bella--haha, sorry---my point being is that Syracuse winters can be long...especially for warm-weather outta towners! Glad to hear it's shorter than I imagined! I just remember a lot of springs where I thought 'man alive, will it ever be nice out again?!?'
My apologies if I sounded too harsh. I posted right after I finished watching the SU football team be as predictable and frustrating as the last 5 years.

I know what you mean about Spring in Upstate NY. April and May can be annoying since half the time it's too cold or wet to enjoy much outdoor activity.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-21-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or