Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,167,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Now if we could get your civic leaders to understand what an asset that this is and to sell the idea to business we could really see a renaissance
Civic leaders?? I'm not sure that breed exists in Central New York...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM

92,069 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Finally some positive news from this site and for the economy: Bitzer Scroll Inc. opens $30 million factory in Salina | News from The Post-Standard -

Old 10-13-2009, 01:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,167,943 times
Positive news indeed. A diversified economy is a good thing, and more blue-collar employment will be a boon for the local economy. Is this the only tenant in the old General Motors plant, or is there another company operating out of that facility?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,987,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Positive news indeed. A diversified economy is a good thing, and more blue-collar employment will be a boon for the local economy. Is this the only tenant in the old General Motors plant, or is there another company operating out of that facility?
If the signage around there is to be believed, I think there's a steel company and other small pieces around there - though I know it's nowhere near fully occupied (it's a really big space to fill).

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,601,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
If the signage around there is to be believed, I think there's a steel company and other small pieces around there - though I know it's nowhere near fully occupied (it's a really big space to fill).

According to loopnet and published reports, the 800,000 SF plant is 65% occupied and is home to 17 companies. Klein Steel recently re-upped their lease and even expanded their square footage. Frankly, I was surprised the plant was that full considering much of the space is likely antiquated and many industrial end-users prefer more modern facilities. Hopefully the Syracuse China building and the soon-to-be vacated Magna plant will be demolished and turned into shovel ready sites. Although this will result in the initial loss of property tax revenue from reduced assessments in both Salina and DeWitt, both facilities will be next to impossible to fill. The industrial land where the NPG plant resides is better suited for an office or high-tech park once environmental remediation is completed. Moreover, a high tech manufacturing, R&D, Biotech, or renewable energy facility would complement nearby tenants including Inficon, Anaren, and SUNY Upstate's Bone and Joint center. NPG's proximity to hotels, the I-481 beltway, the thruway and Hancock Airport makes this an ideal location.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 10-14-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
According to loopnet and published reports, the 800,000 SF plant is 65% occupied and is home to 17 companies. Klein Steel recently re-upped their lease and even expanded their square footage. Frankly, I was surprised the plant was that full considering much of the space is likely antiquated and many industrial end-users prefer more modern facilities. Hopefully the Syracuse China building and the soon-to-be vacated Magna plant will be demolished and turned into shovel ready sites. Although this will result in the initial loss of property tax revenue in both Salina and DeWitt respectively from reduced assessments, both facilities will be next to impossible to fill. The industrial land where the NPG palnt resides is better suited for an office or high-tech park once environmental remediation is completed. Moreover, a high tech manufacturing, R&D, Biotech, or renewable energy facility would complement nearby tenants including Inficon, Anaren, and SUNY Upstate's Bone and Joint center. NPG's proximity to hotels, the I-481 beltway, the thruway and Hancock Airport makes this an ideal location.
You might be right about the Magna site. It might be better served for those purposes, especially given the location.

As for Syracuse China, I think it would be nice to see that area get spruced up, as it needs it. Salina might be fine in terms of taxes, thanks to Crouse-Hinds hanging in there.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might be right about the Magna site. It might be better served for those purposes, especially given the location.

As for Syracuse China, I think it would be nice to see that area get spruced up, as it needs it. Salina might be fine in terms of taxes, thanks to Crouse-Hinds hanging in there.

I recall a while back that Southern Wine and Spirts which sits adjacent to the Syracuse China plant was contemplating an expansion. Salina already has a large inventory of vacant or underutilized industrial space including a large chunk of Electronics Park, the former BJ Suzle building, the GM Plant, a soon-to-be closed check printing operation in Mattydale, and many others. The arrival of Southern Wine and Spirts as well as the continued presence of Lockheed Martin and Cooper-Crouse Hinds have mitigated some of the losses. That being said, the industrial buildings along East Molloy Road in Mattydale as well as the Route 298 corridor straddling Salina and DeWitt seems to be holding steady. While driving through last weekend, it was encouraging to see that most industrial properties were occupied. Speculative high tech space that was built in 2005/2006 at Route 298 and Deere Road has finally secured tenants.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I recall a while back that Southern Wine and Spirts which sits adjacent to the Syracuse China plant was contemplating an expansion. Salina already has a large inventory of vacant or underutilized industrial space including a large chunk of Electronics Park, the former BJ Suzle building, the GM Plant, a soon-to-be closed check printing operation in Mattydale, and many others. The arrival of Southern Wine and Spirts as well as the continued presence of Lockheed Martin and Cooper-Crouse Hinds have mitigated some of the losses. That being said, the industrial buildings along East Molloy Road in Mattydale as well as the Route 298 corridor straddling Salina and DeWitt seems to be holding steady. While driving through last weekend, it was encouraging to see that most industrial properties were occupied. Speculative high tech space that was built in 2005/2006 at Route 298 and Deere Road has finally secured tenants.
Some of that is actually in DeWitt too.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,987,437 times
Quote:
I believe that the Southern Wine and Spirits plant just finished an expansion - are they planning another, or is that what you're referring to?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
I believe that the Southern Wine and Spirits plant just finished an expansion - are they planning another, or is that what you're referring to?
When the Syracuse China plant closure was first announced last year, the Post-Standard or possibly the Business Journal mentioned that Southern Wine and Spirts was already outgrowing their new facility. If they just completed an expansion, that was probably what was being referred to in late 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area