Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM

15 posts, read 53,933 times

Advertisements

Glad to see we're not the only ones! I was born in New Hartford and spent the first 30 years of my life in the Utica area. My fiance (who is also from Utica) and I moved to Columbia SC last year and after 16 months are counting the days until we return to the north east FOR GOOD! One good thing about living down south, it let us realise and appreciate what we had in NY. I've found I actually miss the winter and snow, even after complaining about it all the time when I was here. I agree with the poster above - winter in NY can be a drag for a few months, but the apring, summer, and fall down here are the worst! For some reason, may people who live in NY and many other north east states) have the preception that the south is so much better. Reasoning usually includes that it's cheaper, the economy is better, no snow etc. I have not found it any cheaper in SC. There are some lower expenses, such as sales tax, and utility bills in the winter. But they make up for it elsewhere. Auto insurance, renters unsurance, and ac bills are much higher. They have a ridiculous vehicle tax which runs between 2 $200 and $500 a year EVERY year depending on what car you drive. Haven't found rent to be any cheaper. IN fact, the only thing "cheaper" is my salary! The unemployment rate (at least in SC) is very high and progress is slow. The people here are pretty discriminatory to those from the north, and if you didn't go to either USC or Clemson forget about getting a job. IN fact, the cultre is so different, its like another planet. Nothing beats NY food, everything down here is chain based fast food slop. The crime rate is through the roof and the roads and driving are awful! We can't wait to return somwhere up North. We probably won't move back to Utica, but we've been looking into the Boston area. Syracuse and Albany are awesome too! Anyone who is thinking about moving down south, do your homework first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
People that move away, in most cases, have found that the grass is not always greener on the otherside--atleast that was my experience

Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
when the recession is over the sunbelt will boom again and unemployment will be much lower than it is now, the south will keep growing especially florida and georgia, florida is going pass ny in population in a few years bet on it.

Aaah, the "recession" is a depression for working folks(unless they work on Wall St.) and is likely to continue its decline for as long as anyone of us lives.

The reason to live in Upstate NY is its the most beautiful place on the Planet with better than average people.Bet on that.

Beauty will get you better through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beauty.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Beauty will get you better through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beauty.
Well said, Wingfoot!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 257,758 times
Wow,it's so good to read these nice viewpoints on New York! put a smile on my face it did.
Sure there's problems,but that's how it is when there's everything else too! : )

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM

275 posts, read 792,878 times
WOW!! I thought I was the only crazy one contemplating a move back to NY. For retirement no less. Been here in FL for 30 years and the changes I've seen down here throughout could easily fill a couple of pages. My wife and I are going to be up in the Adirondack area next month for our yearly "changing of the leaves" trip. Most people down here think that NC or TN has the changing leaves. They haven't seen anything compared to the Catskills or Adirondacks. Maybe I can convince my wife to be more than a snowbird when we retire.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
WOW!! I thought I was the only crazy one contemplating a move back to NY. For retirement no less. Been here in FL for 30 years and the changes I've seen down here throughout could easily fill a couple of pages. My wife and I are going to be up in the Adirondack area next month for our yearly "changing of the leaves" trip. Most people down here think that NC or TN has the changing leaves. They haven't seen anything compared to the Catskills or Adirondacks. Maybe I can convince my wife to be more than a snowbird when we retire.

Thats how I plan to retire. The Adirondacks, IMO, would be a great place to retire--quiet, beautiful, serene, etc. Year round warm sunny climates are way over rated IMO. I could actually see myself up in the mountains living in a cabin, kinda like how Mark Whalberg's character had done in the movie Shooter

Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Aaah, the "recession" is a depression for working folks(unless they work on Wall St.) and is likely to continue its decline for as long as anyone of us lives.

The reason to live in Upstate NY is its the most beautiful place on the Planet with better than average people.Bet on that.

the only reason upstate didn't bust like the rest of the country is becausev we are stagnant, few jobs. no growth and no bust.

Upstate is extremely beautiful, just like many other areas of our country.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:42 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
the only reason upstate didn't bust like the rest of the country is becausev we are stagnant, few jobs. no growth and no bust.

Upstate is extremely beautiful, just like many other areas of our country.
but Upstate didn't lose too many jobs either and didn't over build like other parts of the country.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
but Upstate didn't lose too many jobs either and didn't over build like other parts of the country.

that's what i'm trying to say, we didn't grow like much of the other states, upstate didn't have much jobs to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area