U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM

71 posts, read 71,626 times
Default Syracuse or Ithaca?

Syracuse or Ithaca?

Up until now I've been pretty certain that when my husband and I make the move from the UK in 2010 that we wanted to move to the Syracuse area (more rural though).

However I'm hoping for some opinions & thoughts about Ithaca...I don't know it at all or what to expect from it. A friend of mine says that it's very arts oriented and that there is a fairly good economy. Anyone know the score?

I'm partial to the Syracuse/central NY area because I've lived out that way before. And before now (I've been in the UK for the last 3.5 years) I lived in Albany for 15 years.

We're hoping to find us a place that's got plenty of country (space, nature etc) within a 30-40 minute commute (one way) and would love some ideas on what to expect in the summer and winter seasons (how much snow, rain, ice etc)

If anyone would chirp up about it I'd be very grateful!

thanks.

erica

Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM

3,159 posts, read 5,359,734 times
You could live right in between, around Cortland, or possibly Auburn.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

30,808 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
You could live right in between, around Cortland, or possibly Auburn.
Thinking the same thing...I'd say Homer, Tully or McGraw would be a perfect location too. Possibly Moravia as well.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,684,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
Syracuse or Ithaca?

Up until now I've been pretty certain that when my husband and I make the move from the UK in 2010 that we wanted to move to the Syracuse area (more rural though).

However I'm hoping for some opinions & thoughts about Ithaca...I don't know it at all or what to expect from it. A friend of mine says that it's very arts oriented and that there is a fairly good economy. Anyone know the score?

I'm partial to the Syracuse/central NY area because I've lived out that way before. And before now (I've been in the UK for the last 3.5 years) I lived in Albany for 15 years.

We're hoping to find us a place that's got plenty of country (space, nature etc) within a 30-40 minute commute (one way) and would love some ideas on what to expect in the summer and winter seasons (how much snow, rain, ice etc)

If anyone would chirp up about it I'd be very grateful!

thanks.

erica
Americans seldom think in terms of class,though the class system is as strong here as in the UK.(disregarde the screens you'll hear to the contrary).

Syracuse is a more working-lower middle area in general tone.

Syracuse Uni is red-brickish while Cornell is rememinds me of a larger St. Andrews say,

Depends on what you want or are accustomed to.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 PM

13 posts, read 25,492 times
Default auburn and ithaca

I am a native of Auburn, NY. It's a nice place to live. I grew up there but there is not really that much to do there especially if you have kids. There are some malls and it is conveniently located between Ithaca (45 mins by car) and syracuse (about 20-45 mins depending on which part of syracuse). Rent is Auburn goes about 500 and up. I do think that rent is a bit more expensive in Ithaca than it is in Auburn.

But I do have to mention the fact that crime has been rising a lot since i was a child growing up in Auburn (i'm 25). There has been a lot of petty thievery and some murders that were practically unheard of years ago. In general, the east side of Auburn is the better side and the west side is the more lower income-type neighborhood.

Some areas in Syracuse I would not advise living in like South Salina street and Lafayette street as they are known for a lot of crime. Crime is quite rampant in some parts of Syracuse and it is a hassle to get around sometimes (atleast from my experience if you don't know it well). There are a lot of murders, gang problems, and drugs in Syracuse (some areas more than others of course). Maybe not as bad as some areas but bad enough that I wouldn't want to live there.

Ithaca has a very big college feel to it. There are Cornell University and Ithaca College there. A lot of college students. So, if you don't mind living around a lot of college students then it is ok. A lot of them are transient and they come and go just for college but I heard that they can get rowdy at times (as college kids can). A friend of mine's parents live there and had that problem. So, anyways, it's something to consider. It is also a very ethnic place with a lot of different races living together.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptianprincess View Post
I am a native of Auburn, NY. It's a nice place to live. I grew up there but there is not really that much to do there especially if you have kids. There are some malls and it is conveniently located between Ithaca (45 mins by car) and syracuse (about 20-45 mins depending on which part of syracuse). Rent is Auburn goes about 500 and up. I do think that rent is a bit more expensive in Ithaca than it is in Auburn.

But I do have to mention the fact that crime has been rising a lot since i was a child growing up in Auburn (i'm 25). There has been a lot of petty thievery and some murders that were practically unheard of years ago. In general, the east side of Auburn is the better side and the west side is the more lower income-type neighborhood.

Some areas in Syracuse I would not advise living in like South Salina street and Lafayette street as they are known for a lot of crime. Crime is quite rampant in some parts of Syracuse and it is a hassle to get around sometimes (atleast from my experience if you don't know it well). There are a lot of murders, gang problems, and drugs in Syracuse (some areas more than others of course). Maybe not as bad as some areas but bad enough that I wouldn't want to live there.

Ithaca has a very big college feel to it. There are Cornell University and Ithaca College there. A lot of college students. So, if you don't mind living around a lot of college students then it is ok. A lot of them are transient and they come and go just for college but I heard that they can get rowdy at times (as college kids can). A friend of mine's parents live there and had that problem. So, anyways, it's something to consider. It is also a very ethnic place with a lot of different races living together.
Pretty accurate.....I wouldn't say that Auburn is too bad in terms of crime. Yes, they might have something here and there, but it is generally a safe city: http://www.city-data.com/city/Auburn-New-York.html (Just scroll down for crime info.)

Syracuse is more a matter of lifestyle and yes, some parts are worse than others in that regard, but there are still plenty of nice neighborhoods within the city of Syracuse too.

Ithaca is pretty much a college town. So, it is what it is and it is very diverse for a smaller city.

Cortland is an even smaller city of about 18,000 with Cortland State College there. It's a bit more rural like, but still pretty safe. Homer, which is pretty much right next to Cortland is a village of about 3200 that is even more rural, but is very much small town America.

Tully is even smaller with about 1000 people and is also more rural like. Again, very much small town America.

Dryden might be another community to consider too. It's in between Ithaca and Cortland and has about 1800 people in the village, with more in the surrounding area. Same with Tully and Homer.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM

70 posts, read 113,162 times
For sure Syracuse, Ithaca is does not compare to the art and architecture of Syracuse. Gustav Stickley started in Syracuse one of the most famous architects and made and still does make one of the best furniture. Also, in the Syracuse area you can find a lot more jobs and a lot more things to do. Especially if you want to watch sport events you can easily go to a Syracuse game and there is plenty of rural areas in Onondaga County. Van Buren, Jordan Elbridge, Skaneatles, Tully, Fabius Pompey, Penneville and a lot more. Might as well have both of having a big city and rurual areas.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,771,477 times
I think Jordan and Elbridge are often overlooked when it comes to considering areas in Onondaga County. They are more rural, but fairly close to more built up areas like Skaneateles and Camillus, and Syracuse just beyond. Skaneateles is an affluent arts-oriented community you might enjoy being near.

Ithaca is much more of a "college town" than Syracuse is. You may like that, or not like it. Syracuse has a major university, but there are other things there than just the university. In fact, I'd say that the university's influence is largely confined to the University Hill. There is also a greater diversity of neighborhoods and suburbs in Syracuse, since it is a larger city. Syracuse is also better connected to the interstate system, has a bigger airport, etc.

And it goes almost without saying - if you have a political allergy to "crunchy granola liberal" lifestyles, you're probably not going to enjoy Ithaca. Syracuse has more of a mix of political expressions across the spectrum.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I think Jordan and Elbridge are often overlooked when it comes to considering areas in Onondaga County. They are more rural, but fairly close to more built up areas like Skaneateles and Camillus, and Syracuse just beyond. Skaneateles is an affluent arts-oriented community you might enjoy being near.

Ithaca is much more of a "college town" than Syracuse is. You may like that, or not like it. Syracuse has a major university, but there are other things there than just the university. In fact, I'd say that the university's influence is largely confined to the University Hill. There is also a greater diversity of neighborhoods and suburbs in Syracuse, since it is a larger city. Syracuse is also better connected to the interstate system, has a bigger airport, etc.

And it goes almost without saying - if you have a political allergy to "crunchy granola liberal" lifestyles, you're probably not going to enjoy Ithaca. Syracuse has more of a mix of political expressions across the spectrum.
I agree about the Jordan-Elbridge area being overlooked and it is also close to shopping in Auburn, which is only 5 miles away, if that.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,309,809 times
Though my heart with Syracuse, which is diversifying its economy and offers a lot of amenities. I would seriously consider Ithaca as an option.

It has all the amenties of a large metropolitan area, anchored by Cornell University and Ithaca College. Ithaca boasts a greater number of restaurants (per capita) than NYC. I am going to attach the following links for you to judtge for yourself, it is "gorges" (which is its motto):

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca

Ithaca Hours - Local Currency - Ithaca, New York

Sciencenter, Ithaca NY

Upstate NY & Finger Lakes ~ Official Bed and Breakfast Association of Greater Ithaca

Moosewood Restaurant - Ithaca, NY (world famous vegetarian, bet you never heard of it? )

Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

Ithaca Commons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cornell University

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Cornell Business & Technology Park

Ithaca

Tompkins County | Home Page |

Home in Fly Ithaca : Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport, New York (Syracuse Hancock Int'l Airport is a 40 mile drive from Ithaca Airport)

ithaca is gorges - Google Images

I know you will love Ithaca, you can also check out Cortland, NY which is 15 miles aware. Cortland is the home of the State University of New York at Cortland. The city is making strides to become a more cultural and entertaining location. Cortland is only 26 miles south of Syracuse, 15 miles east of Ithaca.

City of Cortland Official Web Site

City of Cortland NY Dining and Lodging

SUNY Cortland - Home Page

Welcome to The Cortland Connection in Cortland NY!

Good luck with your decision!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area