Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 AM

655 posts, read 2,321,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmid View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning on moving to the North Syracuse area for change of life reasons, would like to live within half mile of Oneida Lake and closer to the 81. I am wondering if anyone could suggest nice naturey safe and affordable (single income) area to live...and am also wondering about the retail management job market out there? As i will have to find work as well. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Hello Silmid,

Within a half mile of Oneida Lake. Well.......

Brewerton is at/on the west end of Oneida Lake. At Brewerton (east side of I-81) there are some smallish homes which might be priced at $100,000 or below on these streets: Madison Ave., Blaze Path, Bygone Drive, & Wild Way. You might also find some economical priced homes (west side of I-81) on streets that run off Orangeport Road.

Cicero is one to two miles from the lakeshore of Oneida Lake. Interstate 81 runs through the middle of Cicero. There are a few homes priced at about a low of $110,000. On rare occasions you will find a decent place for as low as $85,000=which are sold very quickly. You can look for decent Cicero older smallish homes (in the $110,000 & below price range) between 30 & 40 years old (decent middle-class "starter"/"smallish") homes on streets off Lakeshore Road & off Button Road, along Mud Mill Road, on streets west off Thompson Road, on streets (in Cicero) that run off Brewerton Road (Rt. 11) between Caughdenoy Rd. & Route 31, and on streets like Mantova Dr., Amalfi Dr., Fortuna Pkwy., Gatewood Dr., Hackberry Lane, & Shadbush Lane=(Clay/Cicero).

North Syracuse is 5 to 6 miles from the lakeshore of Oneida Lake. You can look for economical homes anywhere in North Syracuse; prices vary throughout this suburb. Some homes do not have basements. Interstate 81 is nearby.

Bridgeport is probably within one mile of the lake. I must say though that Bridgeport is not a popular place to buy a home=some homes do not have basements and people often do definitely want a home with a basement space. Probably 7 to 9 miles away from Interstate 81.

If you have additional questions feel free to ask; I'd be glad to help you. Welcome to the northern suburbs of Syracuse.

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM

655 posts, read 2,321,156 times
Default Some Best - Good - & Acceptable Apt. Complexes Throughout Suburban/City of Syracuse NY

Hello Silmid,

I compiled a list of the Best, Good, and decent-Acceptable apartment complexes in the suburbs and city of Syracuse. Only two of these apt. complexes, at Cicero, are sort of near Oneida Lake. A new apartment complex is being planned/will be located at the Oneida Lake area, across the street from the lakeshore of Oneida Lake (with views overlooking the lake) but it will be several months before that complex is ready for leasing. There are apt. complexes at Brewerton but I can not/do not suggest them to people moving here because I feel there are tenant problems and maintanence problems at the Brewerton apartment complexes which the complex owners seem unable to improve at this time. If you would like me to give you any additional information on any subject, feel free to ask me.

Read the following to see my list of decent apartment complexes. I know that I should have included about 5 more complexes to my list but I overlooked them.

Click on this Link Line to read about the area complexes:

www.city-data.com/forum/25023589-post7.html

Good luck moving to Suburban Syracuse and starting a new phase of your life. I know that you can live happily somewhere here once you get settled and venture out & around this area and start enjoying the attractions and events that are conducted throughout the year. Welcome to Suburban Syracuse.

grdnrman

Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Im not sure if im posting in the appropriate thread but I couldnt figure out how to create own so hopefully im not intruding. None the less....I am looking for a new place for myself and my family (which is quite large). We are moving from Texas. My husbands mother lives in Queens and I would love to be closer to her but that kind of big/busy city is just not for me and definitely not where I would want to raise my children. Looked in to Ohio but.....that eventually dropped, Virginia, dropped so..... Syracuse, NY has climbed to the top of my list and I would like to get more in sight as to the education system, crime and just all around environment. I am very adamant about surrounding my children with diversity (different nationalities, culture, ect) We also like lots to do especially out door things. Would these things be possible to find and obtain in this area?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM

91,959 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa25 View Post
Im not sure if im posting in the appropriate thread but I couldnt figure out how to create own so hopefully im not intruding. None the less....I am looking for a new place for myself and my family (which is quite large). We are moving from Texas. My husbands mother lives in Queens and I would love to be closer to her but that kind of big/busy city is just not for me and definitely not where I would want to raise my children. Looked in to Ohio but.....that eventually dropped, Virginia, dropped so..... Syracuse, NY has climbed to the top of my list and I would like to get more in sight as to the education system, crime and just all around environment. I am very adamant about surrounding my children with diversity (different nationalities, culture, ect) We also like lots to do especially out door things. Would these things be possible to find and obtain in this area?
Look into the Jamesville-DeWitt, Liverpool and parts of the Onondaga Central, North Syracuse and Fayetteville-Manlius school districts. I'd say that J-D has the best combination for what you are looking for.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
Hello, i am moving to camillus syracuse for the new costco in September. Whats the town like, i want to live close to work but in a family oriented atmosphere. Also is it affordable

Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielmy1 View Post
Hello, i am moving to camillus syracuse for the new costco in September. Whats the town like, i want to live close to work but in a family oriented atmosphere. Also is it affordable
There is another thread about this and Camillus is fine.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Default Rose wants to move

Hi, I am looking to move to a place with nice houses that won't break the bank. 65000 or less range. I also want a place that is safe enough to walk my dog without looking over my shoulder. Syracuse appeals to me because of the snowfall and not overwhelmingly hot weather. I am curious to what syracuse natives think about living there and what kind of job opportunities there are and what avg utility and tax costs are. People say there are high taxes but what is high and which taxes are high and when do you have to pay them.

This would be my first house and a crossing states move so I really want to make sure I am making a good decision for myself and my fiance. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I currently live in the outter city area of Pittsburgh pa. The chemical air down here makes snow a joke. We get it and it melts. The summers are so muggy you can't breathe and the cost of living despite what people say is high to me. 750 for a ****ty apt in what people call the green ghetto. I want to be comfortable in my own home and I want to own.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoselynnMagnolia View Post
Hi, I am looking to move to a place with nice houses that won't break the bank. 65000 or less range. I also want a place that is safe enough to walk my dog without looking over my shoulder. Syracuse appeals to me because of the snowfall and not overwhelmingly hot weather. I am curious to what syracuse natives think about living there and what kind of job opportunities there are and what avg utility and tax costs are. People say there are high taxes but what is high and which taxes are high and when do you have to pay them.

This would be my first house and a crossing states move so I really want to make sure I am making a good decision for myself and my fiance. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I currently live in the outter city area of Pittsburgh pa. The chemical air down here makes snow a joke. We get it and it melts. The summers are so muggy you can't breathe and the cost of living despite what people say is high to me. 750 for a ****ty apt in what people call the green ghetto. I want to be comfortable in my own home and I want to own.
What kind of work would you be looking for or could you do? Are you stuck on that price range? What kind of neighborhood do you prefer? Is there anything else that you are specifically looking for?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 32,338 times
My son has lived in Liverpool for about 5 years now and really likes it. They got a nice house in a decent neighborhood for $125,000- 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, fenced in yard with a pool(not that you have a very long swimming season!). There is a great park nearby, which someone already mentioned, a lot of Wegmans grocery stores, which are your Cadillac of grocery stores, if you ask me. Downtown Syracuse has lots of activities, restaurants, there are a lot of hospitals and shopping. They are currently expanding the mall -it was originally supposed to be one of the largest in the nation, but they have since scaled down on that idea, although it is still bigger than most. Upstate NY has beautiful scenery, rivers, hills-not big mountains, but lovely rolling landscapes with farms. And if you like sports, Syracuse is home to one of the top rated college basketball teams at the Dome. A good, affordable area all around- I visit there often and always find stuff to do. You do need to be able to put up with 6 months of winter though.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,870 times
Hi there, my husband will be teaching for a year at SU, so we're looking to rent somewhere with our 3 young kids (pre K-elementary age). Right now our best housing choices are pretty diverse, so I was hoping for any insights from people who know about real life in these areas. Our choices are a modest house in the city (Ed Smith school) with diversity and proximity to the University, a beautiful farmhouse in Skaneateles (Waterman elementary) that's more of a commute, or a family house in Lysander/baldwinsville which we know less about...All are roughly the same price. Any thoughts for our 1-year adventure? Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area