Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times

Advertisements

This post is directed to the citizens & the government officials of the Town of Cicero. As we all know there is a problem of traffic jams, constant vehicle accidents, emergency vehicles slowdown, & other congestion problems on Route 31 thru the "bottleneck" at the intersections of Route 31 & 81 & 11 & Pardee Rd. in the middle of Urban (built-up) Cicero. The problem simply stated is that there ARE NOT ENOUGH east-west roads to move traffic in the east-west direction thru Urban Cicero. No matter how many additional lanes of traffic that Route 31 is widened to handle the traffic, that "bottleneck" will always remain. Future traffic will only get worse!! Can you imagine the traffic being TWICE as bad in the next few years?! I believe that the construction of at least 2 new roads to move traffic east-west thru the Town of Cicero is the solution. One new road should be constructed south of the Route 31 "bottleneck" and one new road should be constructed north of the Route 31 "bottleneck". The south road should be a Caughdenoy Road Extension starting where Caughdenoy Road intersects with Route 11. The extension would start at Rt. 11 go directly east, pass between the Wegman's store and the Marshall's store, continue to Interstate 81 where a bridge would take traffic over Rt. 81 and continue on the empty parcel of land between the two streets of homes on the east side of Rt. 81 and eastward to connect to South Bay Road. Additionally, an ON RAMP to go SOUTH on 81 could be added at 81 to take traffic toward Syracuse city. I don't believe any homes would have to be removed or maybe just one. I realize there may be electric power lines or underground utilities in that area (the empty parcel of land) which would have to be relocated AT THE SAME LOCATION but for Cicero's heavy traffic problem and the town's betterment and future I seriously think this should be done. The north road should be constructed SOON before there is NO EMPTY LAND left to facilitate ANY new roads being built; considering all the new development of land north of the Rts. 31 - 81 "bottleneck". This new road would be a Route 31 Bypass of the "bottleneck" at 31 & 81. The new road could start somewhere about 2/3rds mile east of the "bottleneck" at Rt. 31 near Thee Diner restaurant where an electric powerline crosses Rt. 31. The new road should generally follow the powerline in a northwest direction crossing Lakeshore Road and continue along the powerline to a point somewhere behind the Pepsi and Paul De Lima plants. NO BUILDINGS would have to be removed for any part of this new road as long as you construct the road before additional structures are built. Somewhere behind the Pepsi & Paul De Lima location (the Pepsi building & Paul De Lima building WOULD NOT be touched in any way--we like & want to keep all our industry), the new road would turn to a westward direction. At Pardee Road & Rt. 81 a bridge would pass over the 3 lanes of traffic (2 on Rt. 81 & 1 on Pardee Rd.). A connector ramp would connect the new Rt. 31 Bypass road to Pardee Road. On the west side of Rt. 81 there could be a half-cloverleaf on & off interchange to enter & exit Rt. 81. The new road would continue from Rt. 81 westward to Rt. 11 to somewhere near the Michael Field Airport. Pepsi & Paul De Lima trucks and other traffic could use this new interchange and relieve some traffic currently impacting the Rts. 31 - 81 "bottleneck". Farther north of this location, on Pardee Road there could be an ON ramp to take traffic north on Rt. 81, relieving more traffic away from the "bottleneck". The Rt. 31 Bypass at Rt. 11 would have a traffic light and there might be additional traffic lights where necessary on the new roads. At Rt. 11 the new Rt. 31 Bypass could continue west across the empty fields of land (thru both the towns of Cicero & Clay) and reconnect to regular Rt. 31 just east of the hamlet of Clay. This Rt. 31 Bypass would provide better east-west traffic flow thru Urban Cicero and relieve traffic at the current "bottleneck". The new roads should be paid for mainly by State & Federal money. I realize these things take time to implement so we should get going on plans & approval post-haste. What do all you Cicero citizens & officials think about this suggestion? Do you have alternative ideas? A better solution than to keep widening Rt. 31 must be found. Please reply with your comments and thoughts about this road problem and solution.

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: wanted this under Syracuse not NYS- can it be changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 PM

70 posts, read 179,005 times
I am very familiar with that area and to tell you the truth, no matter what, there always will be a lot of traffic only during rush hour because of route 81. The road is very quiet after and before rush hour. It is not worth spending tax money by adding streets. That will result in higher taxes and no one in New York state wants higher taxes not even if it is a penny higher. It really is not that bad, look at cities like Atlanta, New York City, Dallas-Fort Worth...They would be really happy if they saw that kind of traffic.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
grdnrman - Excellent analysis, of course much depends on funding. It seems that the traffic may get worse.

COR Development recently purchased an additional 159 acres to develop. Developers usually do not invest in such large purchases unless they plan on future development. I assume COR purchased to take advantage of the relatively low land prices due to the national economy. To be sure, 159 acres is not insignificant and will impact Rt 31 significantly. Should traffic conditions worsen, alternates routes should be considered based on traffic analysis and studies.

Post-Standard excerpt...

"COR Development Co. LLC, already commanding a large swath of retail along the Route 31 corridor in Clay, has another 159 acres to develop.

The developer, based at its Towne Center at Fayetteville complex, paid $400,000 for 159 acres behind and adjacent to the COR Center shopping center on Route 31 in a deal secured by Pyramid Brokerage Co.

That gives COR room to stretch the footprint of COR Center, which is anchored by Kohl’s and Target.

COR also has room to grow across Route 31, where it has parcels in and around the Lowe’s shopping center."

Despite the concerns you raised (which I agree), it is exciting to see Clay and Cicero grow. It is a good problem vs. no development at all. I remember growing up in the late 1970's and early 1980's, there was nothing along Rt 31 until Great Northern Mall in 1988 (I believe). The real development has aken place over the last ten years however.

Thank you again for your analysis. You should forward your suggestions to the powers that be for consideration. Fseasiblity studies are always a possiblity.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Cicero, NY - ADDITIONAL+Needs new east - west roads

vr;vG@man;11085909]This post is directed to the citizens & the government officials of the Town of Cicero. As we all know there is a problem of traffic jams, constant vehicle accidents, emergency vehicles slowdown, & other congestion problems on Route 31 thru the "bottleneck" at the intersections of Route 31 & 81 & 11 & Pardee Rd. in the middle of Urban (built-up) Cicero. The problem simply stated is that there ARE NOT ENOUGH east-west roads to move traffic in the east-west direction thru Urban Cicero. No matter how many additional lanes of traffic that Route 31 is widened to handle the traffic, that "bottleneck" will always remain. Future traffic will only get worse!! Can you imagine the traffic being TWICE as bad in the next few years?! I believe that the construction of at least 2 new roads to move traffic east-west thru the Town of Cicero is the solution. One new road should be constructed south of the Route 31 "bottleneck" and one new road should be constructed north of the Route 31 "bottleneck". The south road should be a Caughdenoy Road Extension starting where Caughdenoy Road intersects with Route 11. The extension would start at Rt. 11 go directly east, pass between the Wegman's store and the Marshall's store, continue to Interstate 81 where a bridge would take traffic over Rt. 81 and continue on the empty parcel of land between the two streets of homes on the east side of Rt. 81 and eastward to connect to South Bay Road. Additionally, an ON RAMP to go SOUTH on 81 could be added at 81 to take traffic toward Syracuse city. I don't believe any homes would have to be removed or maybe just one. I realize there may be electric power lines or underground utilities in that area (the empty parcel of land) which would have to be relocated AT THE SAME LOCATION but for Cicero's heavy traffic problem and the town's betterment and future I seriously think this should be done. The north road should be constructed SOON before there is NO EMPTY LAND left to facilitate ANY new roads being built; considering all the new development of land north of the Rts. 31 - 81 "bottleneck". This new road would be a Route 31 Bypass of the "bottleneck" at 31 & 81. The new road could start somewhere about 2/3rds mile east of the "bottleneck" at Rt. 31 near Thee Diner restaurant where an electric powerline crosses Rt. 31. The new road should generally follow the powerline in a northwest direction crossing Lakeshore Road and continue along the powerline to a point somewhere behind the Pepsi and Paul De Lima plants. NO BUILDINGS would have to be removed for any part of this new road as long as you construct the road before additional structures are built. Somewhere behind the Pepsi & Paul De Lima location (the Pepsi building & Paul De Lima building WOULD NOT be touched in any way--we like & want to keep all our industry), the new road would turn to a westward direction. At Pardee Road & Rt. 81 a bridge would pass over the 3 lanes of traffic (2 on Rt. 81 & 1 on Pardee Rd.). A connector ramp would connect the new Rt. 31 Bypass road to Pardee Road. On the west side of Rt. 81 there could be a half-cloverleaf on & off interchange to enter & exit Rt. 81. The new road would continue from Rt. 81 westward to Rt. 11 to somewhere near the Michael Field Airport. Pepsi & Paul De Lima trucks and other traffic could use this new interchange and relieve some traffic currently impacting the Rts. 31 - 81 "bottleneck". Farther north of this location, on Pardee Road there could be an ON ramp to take traffic north on Rt. 81, relieving more traffic away from the "bottleneck". The Rt. 31 Bypass at Rt. 11 would have a traffic light and there might be additional traffic lights where necessary on the new roads. At Rt. 11 the new Rt. 31 Bypass could continue west across the empty fields of land (thru both the towns of Cicero & Clay) and reconnect to regular Rt. 31 just east of the hamlet of Clay. This Rt. 31 Bypass would provide better east-west traffic flow thru Urban Cicero and relieve traffic at the current "bottleneck". The new roads should be paid for mainly by State & Federal money. I realize these things take time to implement so we should get going on plans & approval post-haste. What do all you Cicero citizens & officials think about this suggestion? Do you have alternative ideas? A better solution than to keep widening Rt. 31 must be found. Please reply with your comments and thoughts about this road problem and solution.[/quote]

This is an additional elaboration to my original post. The area of land that I call "Urban (built-up) Cicero" is delineated as follows: 1. the eastern border is basically the edge of Cicero Swamp just east of the Northern Blvd./Thompson Rd./South Bay Rd. north-south highways, 2. the southern border is basically Route 481, 3. the northern border is basically Mud Mill Rd., and 4. the western border is Caughdenoy Rd. that runs north-south in the Town of Clay. The land inside those outlined borders is being quickly/heavily developed both residentially and commercially. That continued development creates more car/pickup truck/SUV/recreational vehicles/motorcycles/buses/emergency vehicle traffic plus commercial tractor trailers & delivery vehicles traffic. Lots of travelers, Canadians & Out Of State visitors using Interstate 81, like to stop at Cicero to get a meal, get a cup of coffee, buy gasoline, shop at our stores, & stay at our motels because Cicero is a convenient (other than the heavy traffic) off-on exit from Rt. 81. I like to see travelers/visitors stopping in Cicero to use our businesses because that makes our businesses more successful and earns Cicero more sales tax revenues which helps with property taxes and helps employ more people. Another factor about Route 31 is that it is the only major road from Cicero running east-west along the south shore of Oneida Lake; the lake becomes more popular every year because of boating/sports/fishing, more homes & camps along the lake, the Sylvan Beach Resort Area, etc. creating more traffic. Also, Route 31 is the only major road running westward from Cicero to the Great Northern Business Plazas/Moyer Corners area. All factors point to more and more traffic as time goes on. I want to point out that years ago before Interstate 81 was built, Urban Cicero had 3 additional roads running in an east-west direction which no longer exist today. Those roads were 1. McKinley Road which ran from Route 11 to Mud Mill Road (located north of the Pepsi & Paul De Lima plants), 2. Gillette Road which ran from Route 11 to South Bay Road (in the center of Urban Cicero), & 3. Pine Grove Road which ran from Route 11 to South Bay Road (at the southern end of Urban Cicero). If those 3 roads still existed today, the heavy traffic "bottleneck" at the Rts. 31 - 81 - 11 - Pardee Rd. intersection would be much less a problem. When Interstate 81 was constructed, the 3 roads mentioned were severed/cut off/eliminated at the path of Rt. 81. Because of everything I have outlined herein, it is time that we construct/reinstate/restore/build 2 or 3 more east-west roads to handle the heavy traffic which is moving from the eastside of Urban Cicero to the westside and visa-versa westside to the eastside; Interstate 81 being the blockade/barrier/obstruction between east Cicero and west Cicero. Please write your comments about this post.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
As a citizen of Cicero I wholeheartedly, 1000% agree with you. There is nothing worse than being stuck on 31 waiting to turn on to Thompson when going home. And Weds are horrible--damn auctions

Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM

81 posts, read 231,768 times
I usually just avoid the area as I live convenient enough to take Northern Blvd (for work, interstate access, etc.) or South Bay (for most shopping, etc.) to Circle Drive.

But I agree...if development continues this group of intersections is going to be a real mess. I dont know if it is already in the mornings or afternoon peak times, but it isnt something I try if I dont have to.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Is anyone familiar with induced demand? This strikes me as an odd conversation to be having in 2009.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Is anyone familiar with induced demand? This strikes me as an odd conversation to be having in 2009.
You mean this: Induced demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2009, 01:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Yep, that's it. Projects designed to increase automobile capacity typically just push the problems a couple years down the line. It's a vicious cycle of auto dependence. Thankfully, even the Metropolitan Transportation Council is aware of this; hopefully they and the DOT will agree that good money shouldn't be thrown after bad on that sort of project.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Yep, that's it. Projects designed to increase automobile capacity typically just push the problems a couple years down the line. It's a vicious cycle of auto dependence. Thankfully, even the Metropolitan Transportation Council is aware of this; hopefully they and the DOT will agree that good money shouldn't be thrown after bad on that sort of project.
I wonder what the alternative could be for this area? Is there a way to create a bypass or open up roads that were closed due to I-81, to go over I-81 somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area