Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me why half of this nice park is closed off? The part that fronts Grand Ave is completely blocked off and when you are on Velasko you can see other parts of the park you are driving by but could only get to on foot (the road in is blocked off too). In addition, one of the best views of the city is from the top of the hill by the golf course, but it's closed too now that the golf course is closed for the season. What gives??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
If you were to try to take a walk on the "other half" of Burnet Park, you'd be mauled/eaten by wolves and tigers if the elephants didn't trample you first. LOL - that side is Rosamond Gifford Zoo. :P

Way back when, the zoo was named Burnet Park Zoo. Those of us who grew up here still call it that half the time... back when the monkeys were allowed to roam around the trees outside, elephant rides were given and Burger King didn't price gouge lunch patrons like their current "Safari Cafe." When I was 10, my mom remarried and we moved from East Syracuse to Herriman Street, just off Grand Ave. There were MANY occasions that we had to call the zoo because one or several of their peacocks had gotten out... they seemed to LOVE our backyard. lol

Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can anyone explain to me why half of this nice park is closed off? The part that fronts Grand Ave is completely blocked off and when you are on Velasko you can see other parts of the park you are driving by but could only get to on foot (the road in is blocked off too). In addition, one of the best views of the city is from the top of the hill by the golf course, but it's closed too now that the golf course is closed for the season. What gives??
It's a walkable section; it's just closed to vehicular traffic. It winds along from the golf course parking lot, through parts of the golf course following Avery, then goes behind the zoo down to Grand Ave. It can be a beautiful walk. (I lived for about a year over on Burnet Park Drive - made for great walks with my dog there

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
If you were to try to take a walk on the "other half" of Burnet Park, you'd be mauled/eaten by wolves and tigers if the elephants didn't trample you first. LOL - that side is Rosamond Gifford Zoo. :P

Way back when, the zoo was named Burnet Park Zoo. Those of us who grew up here still call it that half the time... back when the monkeys were allowed to roam around the trees outside, elephant rides were given and Burger King didn't price gouge lunch patrons like their current "Safari Cafe." When I was 10, my mom remarried and we moved from East Syracuse to Herriman Street, just off Grand Ave. There were MANY occasions that we had to call the zoo because one or several of their peacocks had gotten out... they seemed to LOVE our backyard. lol
hahaha, I didn't mean the zoo part! (we've visited there too!) I am referring to the part of the park the fronts Grand near the corner with Valasko, and the golf course area

Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
It's a walkable section; it's just closed to vehicular traffic. It winds along from the golf course parking lot, through parts of the golf course following Avery, then goes behind the zoo down to Grand Ave. It can be a beautiful walk. (I lived for about a year over on Burnet Park Drive - made for great walks with my dog there
Great to know! Did you always feel safe walking there? I don't have a dog to walk, just a very big husband, lol! I still dont' understand why the road is closed though, it looks just lovely from what I can see when I drive by on Velasko.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great to know! Did you always feel safe walking there? I don't have a dog to walk, just a very big husband, lol! I still dont' understand why the road is closed though, it looks just lovely from what I can see when I drive by on Velasko.
I always felt safe (it'd be a bit poor of an idea after dark, mostly due to the secluded nature of it). It's probably more than anything a security bit - fewer roadways and secluded areas to patrol.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM

255 posts, read 694,708 times
I like the golf course there. Short, but hard.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 AM

8 posts, read 18,232 times
drug dealing?

Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatreemonkey View Post
drug dealing?
Huh? Has there been a history of that at Burnet Park that you know of?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Huh? Has there been a history of that at Burnet Park that you know of?
I believe the shadowy areas of most of the city parks all had periods of that. Part of the whole what makes it nice during the day (seclusion and such) make it problematic to secure likewise at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area