Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Marcellus for 4 years. A big draw was the school district. Unfortunately it is deteriorating. Some teachers are inept and take out their shortfalls on the students, discipline is naive and draconian, the district is run like a small but overly administered government. There is a superintendent of schools, a principal at each school, assitant principals at each school and the resultant property taxes are astronomical. They adopted the Everyday Math curriculum, which is a plague to any good, interested students and a complete dumbing down of the rest. Other districts make their own choices and the State Board of Ed. never even heard of Everyday Math. The department should probably be renamed to "Bored of Ed".
New York state overall has a government that doesn't know anything else but to impose a parasitic, ebola like tax system, where the victim eventually hemorrages to death (or leaves). The interstate highway system is mostly tolled, with a public serving state trooper behind every bush with a radar gun. Local speed limits (collection of revenue) are enforced by the town police and sheriffs.
There is a joke of a second ammendment and it is set up so you really cannot defend yourself in your own home.
The local rednecks are racist and other locals quite conservative and gullible. An unfortunate intellectual inbreeding permeates the locals into a hopeless, yellow ribbon magnet sticking bunch of robots.
I dream of the day we see New York in the rearview, never to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,731,193 times
Plus that's the edge of the eponymous natural-gas bearing shale formation, which means all the gas leaked out years ago so you have to go south of there a few miles to be in the gas boom area. Clearly, the community is utterly doomed. Doomed!

(It is pretty, though.)

Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,740,599 times
Find a lovely, older home in the village of Manlius and enjoy our school district.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash, PhD. View Post
We've lived in Marcellus for 4 years. A big draw was the school district. Unfortunately it is deteriorating. Some teachers are inept and take out their shortfalls on the students, discipline is naive and draconian, the district is run like a small but overly administered government. There is a superintendent of schools, a principal at each school, assitant principals at each school and the resultant property taxes are astronomical. They adopted the Everyday Math curriculum, which is a plague to any good, interested students and a complete dumbing down of the rest. Other districts make their own choices and the State Board of Ed. never even heard of Everyday Math. The department should probably be renamed to "Bored of Ed".
New York state overall has a government that doesn't know anything else but to impose a parasitic, ebola like tax system, where the victim eventually hemorrages to death (or leaves). The interstate highway system is mostly tolled, with a public serving state trooper behind every bush with a radar gun. Local speed limits (collection of revenue) are enforced by the town police and sheriffs.
There is a joke of a second ammendment and it is set up so you really cannot defend yourself in your own home.
The local rednecks are racist and other locals quite conservative and gullible. An unfortunate intellectual inbreeding permeates the locals into a hopeless, yellow ribbon magnet sticking bunch of robots.
Wow. So, where you headed??

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 PM

357 posts, read 965,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash, PhD. View Post
Slightly bitter are we? It sounds like your the type of person that wouldn't find anything positive no matter where you go.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 AM

633 posts, read 1,944,583 times
John, I would think some one with that level of education would know the term
"If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all"

Also "If your not part of the solution, your a part of the problem"

Now I don't agree with these terms completely but you failed to list the social activities and town committees or PTA/PTO that you were on to help support the school district and other town committee in the areas that you feel and believe are in your opinion need of help. Maybe that is were the term civic duty comes from.

I am sure a person with a "PdD." can bring some benefit and ideas of solution if they try.

I think you owe the people of Marcellus an apology and the people who may have been thinking of moving to the town that you may have swayed away.

Oh I only just looked at the town website don't for get the kids

"Home of the 1989, 2003 & 2004 Girls Soccer and the 2005 Boys Soccer State Champions"

In my opinion, Shameful and Disappointing.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:39 AM

633 posts, read 1,944,583 times
As a follow up to my post here is an opportunity to help the community, it is from the town website.

The "Committe on the Future of the Village of Marcellus" will hold a
Public Forum at the Marcellus Library Community Room on Tuesday,
October 27th at 7pm to receive input on the issue of the future of the
Village of Marcellus.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 AM

406 posts, read 1,446,825 times
Methinks you drive too fast. Those of us who obey traffic laws have no problem whatsoever with local law enforcement. Also, I am unaware of any toll roads up here, with the exception of the Thruway. Hope you find what you are looking for, try down south where the guns are cheap and easy to find.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:51 PM

255 posts, read 693,284 times
John, is it really necessary to add your educational degree to your screen name?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,425,661 times
My roommate was born and raised in Marcellus. I think it's a really cute, quaint place. I could never live there though, it's too far from everything. If I'm not within 10 minutes of the Thruway at all times I panic lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area