Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Yes. And then you get into the June to September months and it gets REALLY hot.
I thought so. For instance, when I was in Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC(just outside of Columbia) about 10 years ago, it was around 100 degrees during the last week of training. They actually let us roll up our pant legs and sleeves to our BDU's(Battle Dress Uniform) during that week. That's just SC and it was the same thing the next month at AIT at Fort Gordon, GA(just outside of Augusta). So, I can image what it would be like in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 PM

127 posts, read 324,421 times
you haters need to get your own blog!! it wasnt about discussing cities it was about me moving to Ny!! lol anyways i wanted to tell you guys ive been in syracuse for the past few weeks and so far wheather hasnt hit me that bad!! although i went to oswego and i almost passed out!! i really hope syracuse wont be that way haha... i wanted to ask you guys where can i buy cheap snow tires?? or where can they be installed?? and which ones are the best?? i have a honda accord 4 door... thank you and stay warm

Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
you haters need to get your own blog!! it wasnt about discussing cities it was about me moving to Ny!! lol anyways i wanted to tell you guys ive been in syracuse for the past few weeks and so far wheather hasnt hit me that bad!! although i went to oswego and i almost passed out!! i really hope syracuse wont be that way haha... i wanted to ask you guys where can i buy cheap snow tires?? or where can they be installed?? and which ones are the best?? i have a honda accord 4 door... thank you and stay warm
Dunn Tire on Bridge St. in East Syracuse/Dewitt. It's right across from the Home Depot, just off 690. They have great prices, free installation, free tire rotation and switching winter for summer tires and vice versa, and free maintenance of the tire for its life (each tire has a life.) There's nothing quite like knowing that if you get a flat, it won't cost you anything for a repair.

Welcome to Syracuse!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Dunn Tire on Bridge St. in East Syracuse/Dewitt. It's right across from the Home Depot, just off 690. They have great prices, free installation, free tire rotation and switching winter for summer tires and vice versa, and free maintenance of the tire for its life (each tire has a life.) There's nothing quite like knowing that if you get a flat, it won't cost you anything for a repair.

Welcome to Syracuse!
Dunn is very good: Dunn Tire

Another one that might also be good is Kost: Kost Tire and Auto Care - Service (http://www.kosttire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=5&Ite mid=32 - broken link)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 30,645 times
Default Sorry Carol, your right, it was all about me, LOL

Quote:
I supposing your bundeled up and toasty.
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that along with winter clothes cost thing, was your having to buy winter tires as well, be sure to have the coolant checked for freezing temp's, (more anti Freeze will do the trick) also be sure whenever your weather permit's, take your car and have it washed of the salt used on the roads and streets. If you look close at automobiles, you'll notice that the bodies are rusted totally out. This is due to the use of so much salt there. New vehicles by the time they're 2years old, begin rusting out from the salt, so keeping the car as clean as possible is really a must, and be sure to only have it washed when the weather is above freezing, or the door's freeze shut, or open, OK.
Yeah, we got hit with mid 40's over night temp's this week, but back to the mid and high 70's for the remainder of the week. This being quite normal temps for winter as you already know.
So tell me about the rest of your normal day's and evenings and your adjustment's.
Johnny

Last edited by Tx-Jr; 12-23-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that along with winter clothes cost thing, was your having to buy winter tires as well, be sure to have the coolant checked for freezing temp's, (more anti Freeze will do the trick) also be sure whenever your weather permit's, take your car and have it washed of the salt used on the roads and streets. If you look close at automobiles, you'll notice that the bodies are rusted totally out. This is due to the use of so much salt there. New vehicles by the time they're 2years old, begin rusting out from the salt, so keeping the car as clean as possible is really a must, and be sure to only have it washed when the weather is above freezing, or the door's freeze shut, or open, OK.
Yeah, we got hit with mid 40's over night temp's this week, but back to the mid and high 70's for the remainder of the week. This being quite normal temps for winter as you already know.
So tell me about the rest of your normal day's and evenings and your adjustment's.
Johnny
Why do people who live elsewhere have to bash the places they previously lived. So I'll say it: Dude, from May to October, when I'm enjoying the great upstate weather, try not to sweat too much in the 100 degree swamp.

And when it's cold upstate, I can dress in layers and be perfectly comfortable going out. T-shirt and shorts and you're roasting in the summer. And going from an air-conditioned apartment to an air-conditioned office to an air-conditioned mall and not getting out is not my idea of fun.

Also, it's not the 1960's anymore. Cars do not rust if you take minimal care of them.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
Johnny

See i didn't know that!! i like to keep my car neat and clean but since it's been raining and kinda of snowing i didnt wanna have it clean cuz i saw no point to it.. how often should i have it wash?? also someone told me i should get something to put on the gas tank so the gas wont freeze, would that actually happen??? as far as wheather wise i've been actually pretty good with, obviously i look 25 pounds heavier with all the clothes i wear!! but whatever works for me to stay warm i would use it haha!! no more FL dresses n no more bikinies for me haha.. now i'm still stayin at hotel debating whether i should move here or Rochester... kinda like Rochester bettter so we'll see!!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
I'm sorry but whoever told you that you need insulation for your gas tank is either trying to scare you for thrills or some other motive... or is just crazy. I wouldn't even know where to begin getting something like that, have never heard of one, nor does gasoline freeze in the tank. Correction: gasoline will freeze in temperatures of -40 to -60 degrees. That simply doesn't happen here- not even close!

There *is* a liquid additive for gasoline, to keep it from freezing, but those aren't needed here. Again, not even close.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm sorry but whoever told you that you need insulation for your gas tank is either trying to scare you for thrills or some other motive... or is just crazy. I wouldn't even know where to begin getting something like that, have never heard of one, nor does gasoline freeze in the tank. Correction: gasoline will freeze in temperatures of -40 to -60 degrees. That simply doesn't happen here- not even close!

There *is* a liquid additive for gasoline, to keep it from freezing, but those aren't needed here. Again, not even close.

oh u see !! i deal with stuff lik that every day!! every time i open my mouth and say i'm coming from FL i hear all of weird and crazy reactions haha, thank you tho!!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
oh u see !! i deal with stuff lik that every day!! every time i open my mouth and say i'm coming from FL i hear all of weird and crazy reactions haha, thank you tho!!
Get used to it. Many of the people that might question your reason for moving here probably have never been anywhere else or might not under how to put things into perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area