Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
Well belly up my friend, and for all who wish to eat a crow with my good friend in this post. NY News would be my web site of reference and dated as @ TOP 100 BEST COLLEGES for 2010 and as Follow's QUOTE :
Universiry of Florida ranked 15th SUNY NY Binghamton 37th and SUNY NY Syracuse ranked 38th. That's Syracuse behing BINGHAMTON.
Now for the know it all who posted this slam about how terrible Florida's schools are.......... Univ of Central Florida (Orlando) 4th Largest University in the USA...... Florida State ranked 25th in the USA, Miami University ranked 5th . By the way, the only fact of reason that syracuse made 38th ranking was due to it's Forestry program. Belly up big mouth and next time be a bit more caring and like me, get your FACT's straight.
Try bellying up with an actual link.

Oh, and the forestry program isn't part of SU, so that throws the veracity of your source very much in question. But what would that have to do with school rankings? You were talking about football recruiting...

You've brought very few facts here, and fewer links to these supposed facts. Do try again... or stop wasting our time with your vitriol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

161 posts, read 355,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
well i will look into that but i havent seen any furniture places except Ashley's and Value city.. i really need to start searching for more..!
Believe it or not, the IKEA north of Philly (Conshohocken?) is the fastest to get to from 'cuse; about 4 hours. My dad is from near there so we used to stop on the way back to Syracuse when we visited family. Is there still a fast ferry to Toronto where you could go over and get stuff?

In terms of all the concerns about salt, here's what I always used to do. Theres a day above freezing at least every 2 weeks or so. I just wait until that day and get a $10 underbody wash from a carwash. Rust issue solved.

Hope CNY is treating you well. The commute from rochester must be rough, I would hate spending that much time in a car (I've been car-free for 3 years and prefer it but will need a car when I return to the US). I'm 26 and moving back to syracuse for the same reason as you (got a great job) but I'm from there so its less of a worry for me. I do think I'm going to start missing the youthful bar scene here in Dublin, but there are definitely a few places downtown that are going on.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Jr View Post
Well belly up my friend, and for all who wish to eat a crow with my good friend in this post. NY News would be my web site of reference and dated as @ TOP 100 BEST COLLEGES for 2010 and as Follow's QUOTE :
Universiry of Florida ranked 15th SUNY NY Binghamton 37th and SUNY NY Syracuse ranked 38th. That's Syracuse behing BINGHAMTON.
Now for the know it all who posted this slam about how terrible Florida's schools are.......... Univ of Central Florida (Orlando) 4th Largest University in the USA...... Florida State ranked 25th in the USA, Miami University ranked 5th . By the way, the only fact of reason that syracuse made 38th ranking was due to it's Forestry program. Belly up big mouth and next time be a bit more caring and like me, get your FACT's straight.
For all other's, I have said all along, I simply bring the facts here and leave the rest for your own judgement. not making comparisons to drag Syracue down. Making simple statements such as camery has this or that. Chevy corvette has this or that...................doesn't mean I think either is the better, or faster, or anything else. But you people are determined to make it a battle.
What does SU, a PRIVATE university have to do with the quality of education in an area? There are good private schools everywhere, but in some areas public schools are crap and in other places they aren't.

And what on earth does it have to do with this thread anyway?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolFL2NY View Post
Hi!
I am moving to syracuse for work around the middle of november, I really wanna know what to expect! I come from miami, where the sun its always on n the party too lol, i would like to move where the city fun is like downtown (its my 1st guest) but please help me i would like to know wat places are actually hip to live w,o being unsafe also, what can i expect as far the people goes, i have friends in NYC but noone in syracuse unfortunately, would i be lonely? or is there young ppl around?, also i'm looking to rent so i would like like one bedroom apartment where i can park and be safe at nite w.o losing the city's action, so please any recommendations where to look i would be thankful forever....
Good luck. If you like the nightlife and variety in miami, think of the exact opposite both weatherwise and otherwise, and you'll end up with syracuse. Where you can eat at 20 sushi or cuban places in Miami, you'll have a choice of 2-3 here. The city falls asleep after 5 pm, with the exception of a little area of downtown called armory square. NYC has a lot more in common with miami than syracuse does. If you've been to other cities in Florida, syracuse is smaller than any of the big ones (Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale etc.) and way more boring.

Last edited by chopchop0; 04-06-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Good luck. If you like the nightlife and variety in miami, think of the exact opposite both weatherwise and otherwise, and you'll end up with syracuse. Where you can eat at 20 sushi or cuban places in Miami, you'll have a choice of 2-3 here. The city falls asleep after 5 pm, with the exception of a little area of downtown called armory square. NYC has a lot more in common with miami than syracuse does. If you've been to other cities in Florida, syracuse is smaller than any of the big ones (Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale etc.) and way more boring.
You can also go to Little Italy, Westcott, Eastwood(for a few places), Tipperary Hill, Hanover Square and you got your neighborhood spots in some other neighborhoods. You can also check out villages like Skaneateles, Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Fayetteville, Cazenovia and Manlius.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can also go to Little Italy
scared to park there. Didn't antonio's close?

Quote:
Westcott
tiny but cute

Quote:
Hanover Square
dead at night.

Seriously, you can't even put syracuse and miami in the same solar system. Miami was too crazy for me, but whoever this girl is, she needs to know what she is getting herself into. It will be a shock to her system.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
scared to park there. Didn't antonio's close?

tiny but cute

dead at night.

Seriously, you can't even put syracuse and miami in the same solar system. Miami was too crazy for me, but whoever this girl is, she needs to know what she is getting herself into. It will be a shock to her system.
No one is comparing the two, but I'm giving other options as to places to go and the girl lives in Rochester instead anway.

BTW- There is no reason to be scared to park in Little Italy. There is a new restaurant in Antonio's place and there are other restaurants to check out in the area too.

You also have options in terms of the arts as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Also, Hanover Square is better on the weekends versus the weeknights.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Its a fair point that Syracuse doesn't have the nightlife of a large city. It doesn't even have the nightlife of a lot of small ones, and if you're the type of person who likes to go to clubs 3 nights a week you'll be sorely disappointed. That doesn't necessarily mean that its a boring place. It is a place where you have a local scene and 3-4 places that you regularly go and know a lot of people. If you like pubs you go to the irish bars, if you like to dance you go to the 3 or 4 pseudo-NYC clubs, if you like to chill and relax you can go to Als or a few others.

What Syracuse has to offer, if you have a great job, is a low cost of living (aside from the taxes...rents are cheap, beer is cheap, food is cheap) and a fairly tight knit community. It also has 4 seasons, its close to NYC, you can ski in the winter and be outside all summer. I'm 26, and I'm taking the plunge of moving back, and the lack of clubs and cuban food isn't deterring me

I just wanted to make a point about the weather there. If you want sun all the time, its not the nicest place. But I live in Ireland.... if you lived somewhere where the temp is between 40F and 65F year round, it rained every day, and the only nice weather is the first week of June, you'd yearn for warm sunny green summers, cold snowy winters, and the ability to spend both of those outside enjoying yourself. I personally can't wait for the weather there!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Its a fair point that Syracuse doesn't have the nightlife of a large city. It doesn't even have the nightlife of a lot of small ones, and if you're the type of person who likes to go to clubs 3 nights a week you'll be sorely disappointed. That doesn't necessarily mean that its a boring place. It is a place where you have a local scene and 3-4 places that you regularly go and know a lot of people. If you like pubs you go to the irish bars, if you like to dance you go to the 3 or 4 pseudo-NYC clubs, if you like to chill and relax you can go to Als or a few others.

What Syracuse has to offer, if you have a great job, is a low cost of living (aside from the taxes...rents are cheap, beer is cheap, food is cheap) and a fairly tight knit community. It also has 4 seasons, its close to NYC, you can ski in the winter and be outside all summer. I'm 26, and I'm taking the plunge of moving back, and the lack of clubs and cuban food isn't deterring me

I just wanted to make a point about the weather there. If you want sun all the time, its not the nicest place. But I live in Ireland.... if you lived somewhere where the temp is between 40F and 65F year round, it rained every day, and the only nice weather is the first week of June, you'd yearn for warm sunny green summers, cold snowy winters, and the ability to spend both of those outside enjoying yourself. I personally can't wait for the weather there!
Thank you for putting this into perspective and on top of being close to NYC, we are also close to Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Ottawa, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, among other places within a 5-6 hour drive. So, the location is great and if you like the outdoors or want to get away, you have the Finger Lakes, the 1000 Islands, the Adirondacks, the Catskills and much more to go to within a short drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area