Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 PM

127 posts, read 324,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Bring an alligator with you to put into Onondaga Lake to give folks something to talk about!
bhwaaa i wish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 AM

81 posts, read 231,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A sleeper in that regard is the village of Liverpool, actually. It has a nice walkable downtown, with Onondaga Lake Park nearby, a few shops, a grocery store, a library, some restaurants and is in a good location. Manlius and Fayetteville(the villages) to some degree, also fits the bill.
I would second the Liverpool as worthwhile to checkout as well. The Amphitheater and State Fair being so close might be of interest as well.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
I'll join the earlier posters in recommending Liverpool as well. Although I don't know if village has many young professionals, nearby Onondaga Lake Park attracts people of all ages with its miles of jogging, bicycling, and rollerblading trails. Onondaga County Parks, OLP (http://www.onondagacountyparks.com/olp - broken link)

The village of Liverpool, a very small portion of a larger suburb bearing the same name that encompasses two townships , is very walkable and contains some of the best architecture in the northern suburbs. There are several apartment complexes and rentals in private homes that are a stones throw away from Onondaga Park, restaurants, a small grocery store, and a nice cluster of retail businesses.

Work is currently underway to transform a large retail building into 9 apartments. Here is the link:
FIRST AND TULIP Apartments for Sale. 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLY - JGB Properties, LLC (http://www.jgbproperties.com/properties/401FirstStreetLiverpool.asp?propertytype=7 - broken link)

Here are some more links on Liverpool:
http://www.liverpoolchamber.com/
http://www.villageofliverpool.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool,_New_York
http://www.nicholsliverpool.com/

Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I would second the Liverpool as worthwhile to checkout as well. The Amphitheater and State Fair being so close might be of interest as well.
ok sounds good i just have to go personally check it out

Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 PM

97 posts, read 416,805 times
Half of my family is in Miami, since my Mom moved up here for college back in the '70s and stuck around. I've been back and forth between Syracuse and Florida, and there are a few big differences that I notice.

- Syracuse has hills, lakes, rivers, and ski mountains all in the same area. It's very easy to get used to all the greenery and the change of scenery in the area. Our family from Miami loves to see the leaves change. People spend time outdoors in all four seasons, unlike Miami at noon on a hot and humid summer day.

- As opposed to Miami, which is a city of new arrivals, Syracuse has a true local feel, since even people that have moved away often come back to raise a family. Many neighborhood feel more "open" than Miami for this reason. Gated communities and guardhouses are not the norm, but they do exist here if that makes you feel safer.

- You will not spend 1/4 of the time you spent in a car in Miami. On a normal day, it takes 15 minutes, maximum, to get anywhere within city limits. Not having to battle for your commute makes for much more enjoyable time after work. Tipperary Hill, Westcott, Armory Square, Franklin Square, all of these neighborhoods are fairly centrally located.

Feel free to message back if you have any other questions. I live in the Westcott/University neighborhood, and have all my life, so my view might be different from others here.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM

50 posts, read 188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
BTW, CNYDC, I guess a couple of good Chinese restaurants to check out are China Road in Mattydale and the one that is in the Westvale Plaza in Solvay, but the name escapes me now. For Middle-Eastern, try maybe King David's or Munjed's on Westcott. Here's a good website for a variety of restaurants in the area: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·
I actually checked out China Road on a friend's recommendation a couple of weeks ago and was frankly disappointed. It was definitely the best of what I have had in Syracuse, but still does not measure up to good Chinese food in other places. If it was around the corner, I might go back, but its about 40 mins from my house, so probably won't go back unless I find myself in that area.

Thanks for the other recommendations and the website link! I will definitely check them out.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 AM

50 posts, read 188,372 times
Is China Pavilion the restaurant in Westvale Plaza?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYDC View Post
Is China Pavilion the restaurant in Westvale Plaza?
That sounds right.....

Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbell View Post
Half of my family is in Miami, since my Mom moved up here for college back in the '70s and stuck around. I've been back and forth between Syracuse and Florida, and there are a few big differences that I notice.

- Syracuse has hills, lakes, rivers, and ski mountains all in the same area. It's very easy to get used to all the greenery and the change of scenery in the area. Our family from Miami loves to see the leaves change. People spend time outdoors in all four seasons, unlike Miami at noon on a hot and humid summer day.

- As opposed to Miami, which is a city of new arrivals, Syracuse has a true local feel, since even people that have moved away often come back to raise a family. Many neighborhood feel more "open" than Miami for this reason. Gated communities and guardhouses are not the norm, but they do exist here if that makes you feel safer.

- You will not spend 1/4 of the time you spent in a car in Miami. On a normal day, it takes 15 minutes, maximum, to get anywhere within city limits. Not having to battle for your commute makes for much more enjoyable time after work. Tipperary Hill, Westcott, Armory Square, Franklin Square, all of these neighborhoods are fairly centrally located.

Feel free to message back if you have any other questions. I live in the Westcott/University neighborhood, and have all my life, so my view might be different from others here.
what you said sounds jus about right... Maybe this will be a good change for me after all, wheather may kick my ass just a little bit lol

Old 11-14-2009, 01:22 PM

15 posts, read 30,643 times
Have a little bit more of a view. I was born in Syracuse, and lived there till I graduated from Liverpool High.
On this site you can get the facts of Syracuse weather, amount of snow day's, sunshine day's, (28 total day's of sunshine for Syracuse) Not my figures, but those of this very site. Rain, and durray cloudy day's.
The truth is of the snow, you bet it snow's, and it snow's, and it snow's. And you shovel, shovel, and shovel. And no one who has replied to you mentioned, the 20 degree to 40 degree BELOW ZERO day's did they?
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I live in Orlando, but did live in Fort Lauderdaleas well.
I have to this day asked WHY the Hell ANYONE would EVER want to live in such terrible conditions, weather, taxes, NO job's, cause UP State NY as everyone refers to it, has NOTHING whatsoever going for it, and yes that hurts to say that, as ALL my generations are buried there, but ALL of us last generations have left forever.
The college is great, one of the best. The football tram has long ago gone to hell. So the Board keeps hiring cheap idot's to caoch. They can't recruit because no one wants to play for a team that can't win, Period. BUT, for you, that matter's less.
Taxes, damn sure plenty, and what chased out all the good Industrial manufacturing jobs.
Up State NYer's, pay for the sins of the NYC, all the the time. Dairy farms gone forever, farmer's lost everything they'd owned for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area