Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
I recently added this up when considering a move to Syracuse. Figure:

Costs per month:

$500 rent for 1 bedroom apt
$350 good low mileage car
$100 auto insurance
$200 groceries
$100 student loans?
$200 heat/electric bill/utility
$50 cell phone
$100 cable/satellite bill/internet

That is $1600 a month to live reasonably well, which comes to $19,200 a year. So even if you make $30k, after taxes you may take home $24,000. Still pretty tight if you need to save money (401k) or want extra entertainment money, vacation money, gym membership, etc.

If you drive a beater, forgo a cell phone or cable/internet service, or find a real budget place to live, you can save a bit.
Actually, the utilities might be too high. When I lived at Clayton Manor Apartments in Liverpool, I hardly paid over $80 to National Grid. That was with using the air conditioner in the summer, heat in the winter and using the dishwasher almost every time too. That was 2 years ago. So, it can't be that much more now and that was for a very nice apartment complex. Granted, I lived in the older set of apartments on the complex, but they were still kept up and it was very quiet. Clayton Manor Apartments Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 PM

379 posts, read 512,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the utilities might be too high. When I lived at Clayton Manor Apartments in Liverpool, I hardly paid over $80 to National Grid. That was with using the air conditioner in the summer, heat in the winter and using the dishwasher almost every time too. That was 2 years ago. So, it can't be that much more now and that was for a very nice apartment complex. Granted, I lived in the older set of apartments on the complex, but they were still kept up and it was very quiet. Clayton Manor Apartments Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder
I was thinking $200 for all utilities- water, sewer, electric, trash, gas/propane. gotta be close to $200 for all of that...

Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
I was thinking $200 for all utilities- water, sewer, electric, trash, gas/propane. gotta be close to $200 for all of that...
Sewer and water are taken care of by the landlord. That's not a big bill anyway... our sewer/water bill from OCWA tends to be around $45/quarter. Our home is approximately 1800 sq. ft- 5bd, 2ba... 2 floors and a finished attic. We're 2 adults and 3 young children and since I'm a stay at home mom, we are actually at home to use utilities during the day. Our home uses gas to heat water, heat, and cook. Our summer electric gas bill is around the $100 mark (between $98.71 to $101.82, to be exact) and the winter bills never get higher than around $180.

Our old, 1200sq.ft. townhouse had utilities around $100 (about $80 in summer months in $120 in the most severe of winter months.) Again, that was for hot water heating, cooking gas, and general heating.

My apartment in Liverpool (Covered Bridge - awesome place) had heat and hot water included (gas) and all I had to pay was electric. My expenses were very low there... $525 for a nice one-bedroom apartment and no more than $25/month for electric.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Sewer and water are taken care of by the landlord. That's not a big bill anyway... our sewer/water bill from OCWA tends to be around $45/quarter. Our home is approximately 1800 sq. ft- 5bd, 2ba... 2 floors and a finished attic. We're 2 adults and 3 young children and since I'm a stay at home mom, we are actually at home to use utilities during the day. Our home uses gas to heat water, heat, and cook. Our summer electric gas bill is around the $100 mark (between $98.71 to $101.82, to be exact) and the winter bills never get higher than around $180.

Our old, 1200sq.ft. townhouse had utilities around $100 (about $80 in summer months in $120 in the most severe of winter months.) Again, that was for hot water heating, cooking gas, and general heating.

My apartment in Liverpool (Covered Bridge - awesome place) had heat and hot water included (gas) and all I had to pay was electric. My expenses were very low there... $525 for a nice one-bedroom apartment and no more than $25/month for electric.
That all sounds about right. I was going to say, the same thing about some of those utilities being taken care of by the landlord/owner of the apartment.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:54 PM

379 posts, read 512,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That all sounds about right. I was going to say, the same thing about some of those utilities being taken care of by the landlord/owner of the apartment.
I guess it's different there. In NJ, even in an apartment, I pay for water, sewer, trash pickup, gas, and electric. Sewer is $120 a quarter, and water for 2 people is $25 a month. Trash pickup is $85 a month for once a week. They nickel and dime you for every little service.

Just another reason for me to leave this G-forsaken state.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I guess it's different there. In NJ, even in an apartment, I pay for water, sewer, trash pickup, gas, and electric. Sewer is $120 a quarter, and water for 2 people is $25 a month. Trash pickup is $85 a month for once a week. They nickel and dime you for every little service.

Just another reason for me to leave this G-forsaken state.
Nah, man......Seriously, I never rembered having to even think about paying for garbage pickup or sewer costs. This place even had a fitness room, a car wash bay, a community room(had to pay deposit though) and 24/7 maintenance. I lived at this apartment from 2003-2007 and paid only about 595-620 in rent for a 2 bedroom too. Again this was an older building, but it was well kept and very quiet.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
I think $200 per month is a bit high for utilities but $100 is about right for a moderate size apartment where you pay heat. My house is 1700 square feet, I do very little cooking, keep it at 58 degrees in the winter when I'm not at home or sleeping (i.e. it's at 65 on weekends and for an hour or two each weeknight), wash with cold water etc. My budget plan - every month all year long for gas and electric combined - is currently at $180. With a smaller place, a newer home that's better insulated or a townhouse where you have other untis no both sides that helps preserve heated and cooled air - it might dip to $100 - $120 but National Grid prices have soared over the past few years.

I lived in northern NJ from 1999 to 2003. Rent was 2X to 3X the Syracuse rate for a comparable apartment and car insurance was also 3X the price. Pretty much everything else was about the same as far as overall cost of living. If you can deal with the gloomy weatehr here in the winter months - which is a challenge for some of us - then you'll probably be well pleased. We have good quality of life and a moderate cost of living.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msikes2k View Post
I've looked at the cost of living calculators, and know what it costs to live in other areas. I'm curious just to get an actual opinion from people who know the Syracuse area. I want to know what salary you feel a single person would be able to get by on while still being able to go out, enjoy nightlife, buy new clothes, etc.

More specifically, I'm looking more for recent grad salaries where the only bills would be student loans, rent, utilities,food, etc.
I looked into living calculations when I moved here in 2003. I made 78K in California, and it said I should be able to make 38K here (the equivalent), in Onondaga County and have the same life style.

That is not true.

The houseing is more expensive, the taxes are higher.. the food costs are INSANE ... the lifestyle is different, as well.

Look very carefully before you move.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR930 View Post
I looked into living calculations when I moved here in 2003. I made 78K in California, and it said I should be able to make 38K here (the equivalent), in Onondaga County and have the same life style.

That is not true.

The houseing is more expensive, the taxes are higher.. the food costs are INSANE ... the lifestyle is different, as well.

I highly doubt that the housing is more expensive, considering Syracuse has one of the most affordable housing markets out of the top 100 biggest metros in the US(I believe 18th out of the top 100 biggest metros). It is also #1 for the lowest forecosures too. Food costs are not that bad for many things like dairy products and you have to know where to shop. Taxes are an issue, but it varies by town. Again, you can get by making around 40k, give or take.

Check this out: America's Best Bang-For-The-Buck Cities - Forbes.com

Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 PM

357 posts, read 968,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR930 View Post

That is not true.

"The food costs are insane"....are you insane? I pay twice here in TN what I would pay for food in Syracuse. A gallon of milk is almost $4 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area