U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 PM

108 posts, read 371,059 times

Advertisements

thanks...mapquest says that manlius would be 40 minutes away...is this accurate
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 05:32 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,894,495 times
That's probably correct. There may be sections of Dewitt that are closer to Jamesville or to LaFayette. LaFayette is directly south of Syracuse and more rural but it's only 18 miles to Skaneateles. The road though is very hilly to get there, mountainous is more like it. You might want to drive it first.

Call one of the realtors (I've posted a couple above) who deal with the entire area and see what they think.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM

178 posts, read 729,704 times
Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM

142 posts, read 723,834 times
I grew up in Greenwich, Ct, but fell in love with Skaneateles during college. My dh and I moved here for 3 years when we were in our 20's and then moved back to CT for 10 years. We also lived in Central Fl. for 3 years. Skaneateles was what I was always comparing the other towns to. We moved back here 2 years ago by choice. I love it here and am probably the only one who chose to move here twice.
I'll try to answer your questions:
I have 4 kids, ages 6, 12, 14 and 16. We've experienced all the schools. I think the high school is top notch. It is a small school with graduating classes of only about 140 kids. 96% of the graduates go on to higher education. Also, according to a sample transcript from a student (name removed), an average in the low 90's is about the middle of the class. The students are motivated and go to great schools. Parents are involved. Here is a quick slice of life from Skaneateles: The junior prom was on Friday night. All the kids go down to the gazebo to meet and take photos. Half the town shows up to ooh and ahh. Very small town, very community minded. Also, graduation takes place at the lake also and afterwards, all the grads jump in the lake. I have had very good experiences with all the teachers at all the levels, with the exception of one. In that case, the guidance counselor and principal bent over backwards to intervene. Also, I am half jewish, and while the Jewish population seems small, no one seems to think twice about what religion anyone is.

The town is quiet in winter. You have to find things to do. I coach ice hockey for the hs girl's team, and we are skiers. I also work with an Odyssey of the Mind team here during those months. But while it is quiet, life definitely goes on. Very few things are ever cancelled due to snow.

Skaneateles is a sports minded town. I also coach soccer (very popular sport here. We have a local soccer organization and play mostly other Skan teams. Go to Skansoccer.com ). Music and art are definitely appreciated but not as many opportunities locally. However, no one thinks twice about heading to either Syracuse or Auburn for classes. My daughter took ballet in Auburn.

I don't really like malls, but lots of people love the carousel mall. It is expanding as we speak. No target locally, but one in Syracuse. Auburn which is 10 minutes away, has all the big box stores and more coming.

Wegmans is in Auburn and I will follow it if it leaves. We have a local P&C which is just okay.

The community is welcoming to outsiders who want to get involved. As I said we have been here for 2 years (after a 14 year absence) and I am very involved. I love it here and won't live anywhere else. Partly due to international companies like Welch Allyn, not everyone who lives here grew up here (although there are many that chose not to ever leave, I am hoping my kids will join those ranks).

As a disclaimer, let me add that I am a realtor and would be happy to help you in anyway possible.
Moderator cut: realtor soliciting-please only post your e-mail address in your profile

Good luck to you in your search. I hope this helps.
Jo

Old 05-21-2007, 08:19 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,180,552 times
I'll try to answer what I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post

4 shopping.....we are not big shoppers but where do you go to run your errands....carousel mall or is there a target and big box shopping closer

5 what about groceries...is there a wegmans?
I believe most people in Skaneateles shop in Auburn for their normal everyday needs. Carousel Mall has some stores you can't find in Auburn like some higher end stores. A Target is under construction in Camillus, which is the closest major suburb of Syracuse near Skaneateles. Until that opens, there are two Target stores in the suburbs of Syracuse, one is in Clay, the other is in Fayetteville. They are also building a Target in Cicero, which will be open by August.

Wegmans is in Auburn. Camillus and Geddes also have a Wegmans each. There are 9 Wegmans in Onondaga County including the huge flagship Wegmans (the largest Wegmans in the country) located in DeWitt.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM

306 posts, read 1,489,958 times
Skaneatelesmom:

Great post. I sent you a Private Message. Feel free to reply on-forum if you think the questions might be useful to others.

By the way, someone posted here that the Lake is "always cold." I found it really lovely to swim in. What's your view?

Also, where are the public beaches/parks on the lake, beyond the ones in town?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 AM

thank you so much for taking the time to respond to all of my questions....they were really great posts. While I have visited Skaneateles many times for the day...it is a different story to think about living there!!
Theresa

Old 05-22-2007, 05:40 AM

A question about the lake. Yes, it is cold. It is warm enough to swim in during the summer months, but in July it is still "refreshing". But that is because it is such a deep lake. The plus side is that Skaneateles Lake is known as the cleanest lake. It has a great rating. There is one public swim area in the park and one public boat launch. The rest of the lake is private.
Bellafinzi, I only put in my occupation in the nature of full disclosure. I apologize for the breach.
Joanne

Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 AM

how is the weather....I lived in a suburb of rochester right now...so I know snow....just wondering if skaneateles is as gray as rochester in winter or is it cold and sunny...thanks
Theresa

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM

I am glad you know snow. As a lake community, we get lots of lake effect snow. Not necessarily tons of snow, but lots of days where it snows lightly. Not enough to stay in or even off the roads, but snow nontheless. I would say we have our share of gray days, but like so many places in upstate NY, the weather changes on a dime. Probably more gray than sunny, but I never thought about it much, so it must not have become too bad. Plus, the majority of this winter was very mild (until Feb, that is). I know I am in the minority, but I love the winters here.
Joanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area