Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 70,759 times

Advertisements

this is my first time to this site. I hope this is how you post. My husband and I are moving to the Syracuse area. We would like to have a home lakefront or lake rights. Good schools and low crime are important as is medical care. Please help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
The most popular lakes to live on in the Syracuse area are Oneida Lake and Skaneateles Lake. The latter is much more expensive than the former.

Here are all the possible lakes you can live on within 30 minutes of Syracuse:

Cazenovia Lake
Oneida Lake
Skaneateles Lake
Otisco Lake
Cross Lake

There are also other lakes like Onondaga Lake, Jamesville Reservoir, and further away are the other Finger Lakes, Lake Neatahwanta near Fulton and Lake Ontario.

Skaneateles Lake and Cazenovia Lake are probably in the best school districts. Oneida Lake has decent school districts. Cross Lake is probably not a good lake to live on because it very rural and isolated without sewers etc. Otisco is also rural, but it's nice and is the most eastern "Finger Lake".

Hope this helps!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 AM

142 posts, read 811,027 times
FoxFox,
How is your search going? If you are still considering Skaneateles, I can give you some information. The schools here are wonderful, in fact, we just received a newsletter from our superintendant informing the community that Skaneateles High School is ranked 450th in the US according to a Newsweek poll. Last year we were in the 700's. I really don't hear about any crimes. The police blotter is usually more about moving vehicle violations. Not to say crime doesn't exist here, it just doesn't make the news, I guess. As far as medical facilities, the closest hospital is in Auburn, about 15 minutes away. Syracuse has great facilities, but is about 30 minutes from here. We have great family care and specialized medical offices, but not hospitals. Hope this helps.
Joanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area