Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,699 times

Advertisements

Tour Cicero's military ghost town, the Hancock base residential complex (photos) | syracuse.com

For those who have a connection to the old Hancock base, here is a recent article about its transformation into a business and technology park that might interest you. Thanks to all who served our country in defense of freedom.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-15-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 PM

75 posts, read 87,400 times
Is anyone on here able to add people to the facebook page? I put in a join request a couple-three years ago or so. Today I cancelled that request and re-requested, hoping it would "bubble up" to the top of the pile.

Dan Hunt's the name. We were there from 73-77-ish.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Just an update, but the old remaining housing has either been torn down or there are plans to tear it down. Parts of the old base are being used as a Business Park, with some other businesses occupying property on that side of Taft Road. You could still access the old housing and see an old chapel as recent as 7 years ago, when I saw it up close, but the infrastructure was worn. On the Molloy Road side, you still have the Air National Guard Base operating and there is still a BX on that side of the base.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM

When I saw this article, I thought about this thread: Cicero's military ghost town is now history | syracuse.com

Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,334 times
Been a while. I was thinking about your dad. Hope he's well. Please tell him I was asking about him. He was the best of the best. Elaine Pantusco. My personal email is elainepapa@comcast.net

Old 06-14-2016, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
I was stationed AT Hancock Field from mid 77 to late 80.
We lived on Montauk circle second bldg. In the second unit.
I was T ball coach, cub master and bus driver for the brownies.
I was assistant shift engineer in the Sage Power plant. My family stayed
There while I spent then summer on an inspection team visiting the
DEW line sites east of Winnipeg. We enjoyed our tour there, oh I forgot
I got to go to Turkey for a year. The Base was small close knit community
And took care of each other

Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM

I believe that all of the former base housing has been torn down and the Hancock Business Park is in much of that area now. Some companies in/near the Business Park: Laundry Equipment » G.A. Braun, Inc.

Gaylord Bros., Inc. | CenterState CEO

https://www.jadaktech.com

https://airinnovations.com

More: https://centerstateceonycoc.wliinc14...k-airpark.aspx

Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 1,889 times
Hey people who once lived in Mattydale or Syracuse: Does anyone know the history of the houses in Mattydale along Earle, Beley, Campbell, Matty Ave? I wondered if some of the houses had been used for housing of those in the service. I also wondered where the old Mautz was exactly. Were some of the houses in the streets I listed originally outbuildings for the Mautz farm which was taken by the government in April 1942? Apparently when that 282 acre farm was co-opted by the government for the army air base there were 3 houses and 22 buildings on that land. The houses on those streets have some very unusual characteristics which makes me wonder what their story is. Some are clustered and tiny-as if they were originally shacks, for example. And they are not lined up in the way you'd expect. Some of the houses look like typical post WW2 homes that were built quickly for vets-small neat-in lines. But then there are these others that are nonconforming placed oddly. Anyone know the story there?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkitover20020 View Post
Hey people who once lived in Mattydale or Syracuse: Does anyone know the history of the houses in Mattydale along Earle, Beley, Campbell, Matty Ave? I wondered if some of the houses had been used for housing of those in the service. I also wondered where the old Mautz was exactly. Were some of the houses in the streets I listed originally outbuildings for the Mautz farm which was taken by the government in April 1942? Apparently when that 282 acre farm was co-opted by the government for the army air base there were 3 houses and 22 buildings on that land. The houses on those streets have some very unusual characteristics which makes me wonder what their story is. Some are clustered and tiny-as if they were originally shacks, for example. And they are not lined up in the way you'd expect. Some of the houses look like typical post WW2 homes that were built quickly for vets-small neat-in lines. But then there are these others that are nonconforming placed oddly. Anyone know the story there?
If you view the redlining map area for Syracuse on this website: https://dsl.richmond.edu/panorama/re...mage=3/40/-105

It states that for the Mattydale/(Garden City, an area west of Brewerton Rd. of what is now just Mattydale) areas in the yellow just north of Syracuse, that some of the dwellings were shacks or were built from used materials. On the map, it includes Galeville(or what was built out of it at the time) and what is now the portion of Lyncourt east of Teall Ave along with the Mattydale/Garden City areas. The latter 2 districts, as they were called, were the most popular of those pre WW2 era sections of the town of Salina.

This information is from December 1940. So, it is not too long before the take over of the Mautz farm and those homes may be holdovers from that time.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-08-2018 at 12:37 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
Looking for Bill Taylor ,Marty Gillette, Neil Bergman we all lived on Montauk circle in the early 60's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area