Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times

Advertisements

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/two_syracuse-area_business_gro.html

http://cnybj.com/Channels/ArticleDet...m/default.aspx

Finally, intelligent minds prevail and CNY can now speak with one economic development voice. It seems as though the stars are in alignment.

I like the new President of the MDA Robert Sullivan (gee, the guy is tall, wow!), he seems to be a creative guy. I also have to commend CofC President Darleen Kerr for recoginizing the need to merge prior to her retirement. It is a great opportunity. I do not believe that Mr. Sullivan will be the pawn that Irwin Davis was (or is).

"The chamber’s board is scheduled to vote on the proposal Jan. 25, and the MDA’s board is scheduled to vote Feb. 4. If approved, the proposal would be put to a vote by the chamber’s 2,000 members and the MDA’s 197 members in mid-February. If they give it the green light, the merger could take place by the end of May, Simpson said."

The article reported that the MDA represented large manufacturers and the CofC represented small businesses. I could not help but think that this this merger writting on the wall for the MDA since large manufacturers represent a smaller share of the economy.

In any event, it will be good to know that the MDA will no longer exist at the beck and call of City Hall, good ridence! The former MDA President Irwin Davis seemed more of a pawn than a leader. His accomplishments were few if any.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 01-08-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Chamber of Commerce and the MDA a done deal by respective Boards. I am sure the membership will follow suit...

MDA, chamber merger plan heads to members

I like this guy, he gets it! Robert Simpson, MDA president and CEO, said in a news release. "Through a unified agenda, this new organization will position us to successfully transform the Central-Upstate economy by effectively promoting innovation, entrepreneurship, and business development at the regional level, building new, region-wide collaborations and alliances."

I feel a synergy developing in Syracuse/OnondagaCounty/CNY toward a regional approach. I listened to Mayor Miners and I was impressed. I could not help but feel the inevitable need to coordinate, communicate and collaborate in her State of the City. I really like the Bureau of Planning and Sustainabilty she has proposed and moving City and County Economic Development efforts under on roof. I sense that Syracuse and Onnodaga County are incrementally (key word) moving toward a metropolitan system of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area