U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 PM

142 posts, read 271,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On top of RollsRoyce's great post, I wouldn't count out the Baldwinsville area. It is close to the Route 31 corridor in Clay and the area(village of Baldwinsville, Towns of Van Buren and Lysander), can vary in terms of price and setting(planned communities, village, standard suburban and rural living).

Also, parts of the Town of DeWitt might work as well. Same with Salina and parts of Geddes.
Every one of the towns/places you suggested was on our initial list of places to look......but when the list of properties grew to more than 100, it was strongly recommended that I pare down the list to a more manageable number.
Personally, I was okay with having a hundred properties on my hot list. Other family members (no names mentioned) disagreed....so Salina, Lysander, Baldwinsville and others fell off of the board.

Now.....a specific property in any of these areas can be added to the list, as long as I eliminate one from my current list.
So if you have a property in mind, let me know and we'll take a look at it.

Thanks for the additional options and your feedback.
Ladibug had great faith in the people on this forum, and I'm now beginning to see why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
My pickup is quite abit older then your car and they never give me any trouble. Manlius has a movie house that my daughter likes. That whole area is friggin awesome if you can afford it. Ain't no People of Walmart there.

To save money you could even expand to Chittenango. Thats a pretty nice area and still close to the action.

I would for a fact say not to go any farther East then Chittenango. Massive culture shock for you starts about in Canastota and runs to about Westmoreland.
Alright, Sean, I'm willing to admit that my wife will reluctantly "visit" Kohl's once in a while in her continuing quest to deny that she's a charter member of the People of Walmart.

So.....east of Chittenango and the residents play the banjo on a regular basis? or isn't the culture shock that severe?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,964,761 times
I'm going to look in the Minoa area as well, since the property taxes are lower and it's just as close to the big-box stores, in a more rural setting that IS that only because of the Erie Canal being a natural barrier. It's in the ES-M district, which isn't bad at all... but people with kids, who are that close between ESM and FM, are typically going to get to FM, if they can. Since it doesn't matter for you, Minoa seems like a good option.

eta: http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...96&mode=Search Taxes are $3800.

There are others but some were so low that it seemed there might be something wrong with them. Don't want to throw you into that. Others were more square footage but the taxes were slightly over $5000. I, personally, get shy of places with taxes over $5000.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,511,839 times
That would put you right in Oneida.

Oneida was were they wanted to film Deliverance but the director felt no one would believe a place could be that backwards.

Times have changed because the Wrong Turn movies are EXACTLY like Oneida.

On the plus side you can get a house for the price of a VCR.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,964,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
There are actually two listings in Manlius that your childhood friend thankfully took a pass on.
One is on Osborne Drive, and the other is on Windebank Lane.
Are either of these addresses in the 'affluent' areas? or can a poor working slob like me live there with his 2001 Sonata and not look like a duck out of water?
None of my casual shirts have alligators over the lapel. Is that going to be a problem??? lol

BTW.....the pictures on Facebook show Manlius to be quite charming and quaint
I don't know about Osborne... but Windebank is considered an older development in Minoa, in the ESM district. Probably 5 or so miles from the village of Manlius. The TOWN of Manlius is larger than the village and includes parts of what could be considered many different "known areas." NOT affluent... low-middle class who wanted to be affluent in the late 80's. :P

There isn't a shred of Lacoste in THIS Manlius home and the neighbors seem to have been tolerating our presence just fine. haha!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm going to look in the Minoa area as well, since the property taxes are lower and it's just as close to the big-box stores, in a more rural setting that IS that only because of the Erie Canal being a natural barrier. It's in the ES-M district, which isn't bad at all... but people with kids, who are that close between ESM and FM, are typically going to get to FM, if they can. Since it doesn't matter for you, Minoa seems like a good option.

eta: 217 Windebank Lane, Manlius, NY 13116 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $3800.

There are others but some were so low that it seemed there might be something wrong with them. Don't want to throw you into that. Others were more square footage but the taxes were slightly over $5000. I, personally, get shy of places with taxes over $5000.
First thing I've got to do is convince my better half that we don't need a 2nd bathroom because the property you sent to me seems like a really fair deal.
It's sort of odd.....but for almost 28 years, we had 5 people living in our house and only 1 bathroom.
4-5 years ago, a 2nd bathroom was added and now it's an "absolute necessity".
If there's a conflict, she can have the bathroom and I'll just walk in the backyard and see how the flowers are doing (or do they frown on that sort of thing in Manlius? LOL)

Old 05-19-2011, 04:04 PM

56,299 posts, read 80,502,572 times
Check out MLS#'s: S252644, S251003, S245161, S251804, S251661, S244374, S251935, S248248, S247600, S243433, S248077, S242999, S251693, S242556, S249405, S244822 and S248848. That's for Westvale or Fairmount/Camillus.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
That would put you right in Oneida.

Oneida was were they wanted to film Deliverance but the director felt no one would believe a place could be that backwards.

Times have changed because the Wrong Turn movies are EXACTLY like Oneida.

On the plus side you can get a house for the price of a VCR.
A VCR would go well with the 8-track player on my spare stereo, and the fax machine with the rolling wet paper that needs 6 minutes per page to capture and transmit.
Aaaaahhhh.....the good ol' days !!!! and it's all available just east of Chittenango.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Check out MLS#'s: S252644, S251003, S245161, S251804, S251661, S244374, S251935, S248248, S247600, S243433, S248077, S242999, S251693, S242556, S249405, S244822 and S248848. That's for Westvale or Fairmount/Camillus.
Since many of these places are in Italian neighborhoods, that would solve my pizza problem. The next challenge is to find a deli where the sausage and cheese hang from the ceiling for about 6 months before it's ready for sale.
Then, we find a really good jelly doughnut !!! Not a Dunkin' Donuts jelly doughnut. A REAL, greasy jelly doughnut.
Finally, to complete the hat trick, a gooooood bagel joint.

Find a place that's close to all three, and you've found my next home. Sale price and taxes are not a concern. Pizza, bagels and a real jelly doughnut are the key factors in my final decision.

Seriously.....I *will* check the listings out. A few of them may already be on my hot list.

Thank you.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,511,839 times
Yep!!! here is a house for you. Sounds like its had some work done. I can almost see this house. Its in a REAL bad area.

329 Bennett Street, Oneida NY | MLS# S251668 - Trulia

Now a general question, this Trulia, is it a legit real estate site?? It came up on Goggle on one of the posted above houses in Syracuse. It shows the crime rates. Oneida shows as being way (50%) above average for property crime in NY and way below for violent which is exactly how I think of this area. I went back and looked at the one in Syracuse and Onondaga County and its crazy high on both property AND violent crime. Like over double the NYS average on both. Is that correct??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or